Member Country: England jaybob777's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    With the sad passing away of William Franklyn, it triggered a memory of a programme I have been trying to discover which must have been late 60's/early 70's maybe. I may have this completely wrong but I recall a programme called The Free Wheelers or something like that in which I believe Franklyn played a role. What is clear in my mind is a Sunbeam Alpine sports car used in the series.

Can anyone shed any more light or have I completely lost the plot?

Thanks

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I suspect the actor you are thinking of in the principal role in FREEWHEELERS is Ronald Leigh-Hunt. Vaguely similar in looks to Franklyn (though not as 'smooth' maybe...) RLH was often cast in similar types ; sturdy, reliable, 'British' character etc.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Smudge. How much do you know about Freewheelers? Thanks for clarifying that it wasn't in fact Franklyn. I don't know where I plucked the name from but seem to remember a spy/thriller type storyline.

Rgds

Jaybob

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Smudge. Discovered the answer on 'television heaven's ' web site. However it would be nice to track down and see some of the episodes. I noted the following:

A lot of Freewheelers was junked during the late seventies/early eighties purge of the archives, however, Mike Wormersley, the original film editor on the series privately saved many episodes and the entire first series was recovered in 2000 followed by a special screening of one complete adventure by the British Film Institute.

Would be good to see. Any ideas? Also the theme tune sample as listed on the same web site seems to have lost its URL server. Shame, i'd like to be reminded of the tune.

Much further forward than I was this time last night !!

Jaybob

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Jaybob -

FREEWHEELERS appears frequently on EBAY if you want them. Haven't invested in them meself...yet ! :

SMUDGE