Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Nick Dando']It was an unusual version of Gullivers Travels, wasn't it? It used cardboard cut-out animation to provide the backgrounds.

According to IMDB, at least one other person enjoyed it.

Gulliver in Lilliput (1982) (TV)

Nick

Really? I think I'd merged all the various versions in my head to create one really great one starring Lis. Still, it sounds like an imaginative way around the FX problem. I'd love to see it again someday.

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who recalls it. :)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually cardboard cut-outs were quite popular around that time. I very much enjoyed 'In The Looking Glass' which used that technique and a short while later 'Jane' did the same.

Ah I notice 'Gulliver in Lilliput' won a Bafta for graphic design. Graham McCallum also won it for 'Jane' in 82. I'll have to check whether he did 'In the Looking Glass'.

Liked
    0 times
    name='nickgilbert']Actually cardboard cut-outs were quite popular around that time. I very much enjoyed 'In The Looking Glass' which used that technique and a short while later 'Jane' did the same.

Ah I notice 'Gulliver in Lilliput' won a Bafta for graphic design. Graham McCallum also won it for 'Jane' in 82. I'll have to check whether he did 'In the Looking Glass'.

I hope my post didn't come across as facetious about the competency of the work, which must have been very imaginative to attempt such a story in the studio. I've seen similar techniques used to great effect in film and even in those eastern European cartoons channel 4 would run during the day (just to confound my young Tom and Jerry wanting mind ) I remember Jane well! When I tore my eyes off Jane herself, the style of the virtual sets was very striking.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Not at all facetious. It just gave me the excuse to bring the subject up. I loved 'In The Looking Glass' but it's virtually forgotten (no IMDB entry for example). I wasn't so keen on 'Jane' and Gulliver passed me by completely unfortunately. I'm sort of hoping that if I keep banging on these half-forgotten things then they might see the light of day again!

Liked
    0 times
    name='nickgilbert']Not at all facetious. It just gave me the excuse to bring the subject up. I loved 'In The Looking Glass' but it's virtually forgotten (no IMDB entry for example). I wasn't so keen on 'Jane' and Gulliver passed me by completely unfortunately. I'm sort of hoping that if I keep banging on these half-forgotten things then they might see the light of day again!

Yes that's my hope too - keep talking about shows in the hope someone will put them on dvd or do a BBC 4 retrospective or even UK Drama. That said, I remember in the early days of DVD it seemed that there wouldn't be much interest from DVD firms in archive shows, how wrong I was!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12