Thread: Son of Dracula

Liked
    0 times
    Son of Dracula

It looks great. Anyone know anything about it? I'm going to hunt for a copy!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Got me there! NEVER heard of it. I was thinking this was a Lon Chaney, Jr film. But Harry Nillson? Jeepers, I think Junior could be a big step up, suddenly.

Liked
    0 times
    I've seen the Lon Chaney version but now I know that Dennis Price plays Van Helsing in this one I'm keen to see it. Let us know if you track down a supplier, won't you?

Liked
    0 times
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_...281974_film%29

I've found some more stuff guys....I really want to see it!

Liked
    0 times
    Sounds even more interesting, knowing Ringo and Nilsson understood the film's failings. I can always set my expectations to a "1" on a scale of 10. Few films fall below that (Love & Death On Long Island, to name one.)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Copies turn up on ebay. The film is awful, it has no charm, there is virtually no plot but if you fancy watching a film with Dennis Price, Freddie Jones, Ringo, Keith Moon and John Bonham then this is the film for you. I love it despite the fact that I know I will never watch it again in my life.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    If you take a peek on auntie ebay GERRRR, you will see some Son of Drac stuff including LP. Here is an item number to look at. 280027982903

I collect Dracula stuff and do have a large collection of Lugosi media, Been a Bela fan for yonks and also made a short doc about Drac last year. Am I bonkers? Yes. I also have a film on super 8mm (not dvd) of Chris Lee telling the Drac story which is very good indeed. Happy nibbling!

Liked
    4 times
    Oh...And you can also get a tshirt transfer from

nilsson, harry cds, records, cd singles, rare vinyl, used music

whatever next.

Biography did a good doc on Stoker last week. lots of Drac in it.

Liked
    0 times
    Be careful of the copies on ebay - I bought one and it was very poor quality.

For those who may be interested, here is the passage of my Dennis Price biography that deals with Son of Dracula:

"Having never been able to find a consistent run of good roles, it is perhaps fitting that Price’s last two films, Son of Dracula (produced for The Beatles’ Apple Films by Ringo Starr) and Theatre of Blood should represent the respective nadir and pinnacle of the Anglo-Horror cycle.

Although it was first to be completed, Son of Dracula (filmed during August and October 1972) was the last to reach the cinemas.

Despite his impending coronation as Overlord of the Netherworld, Dracula’s progeny, Count Down (Harry Nilsson) would prefer to become a rock singer and when he falls for a mortal woman he decides to relinquish the Netherworld throne, and seeks the advice of Dennis Price’s wheelchair bound Van Helsing, while the scheming Baron Frankenstein (Freddie Jones) plots to seize the crown.

After finding a way to make himself human, in the words of Ringo Starr, “Drac takes the cure, marries the girl and goes off into the sunlight.? And, aside from a few half decent songs sung by Nilsson, that’s pretty much it. “It’s a non-musical, non-horror, non-comedy comedy,? Starr once quipped, clearly hedging his bets, “or it’s a horror-horror, musical musical, comedy comedy.?

By all accounts the shoot was chaotic, with veteran director Freddie Francis enduring such a wretched time dealing with the disruptive ligging of his rock star cast (that also included legendary boozers Keith Moon and John Bonham - surely the very company the ailing Price should have been hell bent on avoiding) that he was ordered to take a rest by his doctor.

Washing his hands of the whole sorry affair Francis left the post-production chores in the hands of the inexperienced Starr, upon whose shoulders the blame for the indulgent, shapeless end product must rest. “It is not the best film ever made,? the ex-Beatle acknowledged, “but I’ve seen worse.?

Son of Dracula was eventually granted its world premiere in May 1974, at the same Atlanta cinema where Gone With The Wind had opened thirty-five years before, whereupon it sank quickly without trace. “In America [the film was not released in the UK], the movie only played in towns that had one cinema,? the ex-Beatle recalled in 1998. “Because if it had two, no matter what was on down the road, they’d all go there!

With almost all of the film’s major players sadly no longer with us I wrote to Freddie Francis and Freddie Jones for their recollections of working with Price, on this his last picture. Both Freddies graciously replied:

“I remember little if anything of the film,? remembers Jones, “and am not sure Dennis and I shared a scene. All I recall is sharing a Dubonnet with him whilst singing his praises for all the pleasure he had afforded the world. This he categorically denied.?

“Unfortunately I only worked with Dennis for a short time,? recalled Francis, “and by then quite late on in his career. I remember being impressed by his charm and his professionalism. He was a joy to work with. I don’t think he had any idea, and neither did I that it would be virtually his last screen appearance.?

Regretfully, the clues were there on the screen. It almost makes one weep to see the virtually already posthumous Price slumped in a wheelchair with a fedora pulled down over his eyes to disguise his confusion, frailties and decay... Mercifully, Price’s memento mori was brief."

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Ringo can be blamed for quite a few things. As the late, great Bill Hicks put it "The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing a couple of numbers."

But he did also narrate the Thomas the Tank Engine series

Steve

Liked
    4 times
    If you get chance listen to Stop & Smell the Roses from 82'. It features Wrack My Brain which is about as good as Ringo gets. I rather like the lads records.

Liked
    0 times
    I like Dracula's Daughter, she stop sucking blood and tries to get a psychiatrist.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']If you get chance listen to Stop & Smell the Roses from 82'. It features Wrack My Brain which is about as good as Ringo gets. I rather like the lads records.

Hear, hear! Good to see Wrack My Brain get some recognition.

Liked
    4 times
    Ringo Starr said this about da flick:

"I produced it for Apple. We had this script, Drac takes the cure, marries the girl and goes off into the sunlight - and it was the only movie we wanted to make. I called Harry because he was a blonde bombshell and we had his teeth fixed, which his mother was always thankful for. We had a lot of fun, there's a lot of musicians in it - John Bonham, Keith Moon, Peter Frampton. We had the premiere in Atlanta, the first movie since Gone With the Wind to open there, and we had 12,000 kids screaming, we had bands ... but we left town the next day, and so did everyone else. In America, the movie only played in towns that had one cinema, because it it had two, no matter what was on down the road, they'd all go there! It's a bit of a shambles now - we went into a studio with Graham Chapman and re-voiced a lot of it, so it makes even less sense now."

Makes ya fink!

Liked
    0 times
    If only Woody Allen was a younger man, perhaps Wing Fat and his recipe for chicken salad could be resurrected... if if if...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have this on tape - it was released on video back in the very early 1980s by a Canadian company called Marquis Video, and is extremely hard to find - luckily I was sent an original (not a copy) by a Canadian collector back in the 90s. Sadly though it has no cover and was found at the back of a closing down rental store.

It's a real curio, for all the wrong reasons.