Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I've heard some good reports regarding the release next week of the new BEATLES compilation album titled 'Love'.

The album is a collection of 26 tracks remixed and remodeled by Sir George Martin and his son Giles from the whole Beatles catalogue.

The "new" tracks were produced for use in the super acrobatic circus Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas.

Early reviews of the soundtrack have been good and apparantly a number of Beatles songs sound very different to the origionals.

The Beatles greatness is said to still shine through each track strongly.

How can it not?

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='David Brent']I've heard some good reports regarding the release next week of the new BEATLES compilation album titled 'Love'.

The album is a collection of 26 tracks remixed and remodeled by Sir George Martin and his son Giles from the whole Beatles catalogue.

The "new" tracks were produced for use in the super acrobatic circus Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas.

Early reviews of the soundtrack have been good and apparantly a number of Beatles songs sound very different to the origionals.

The Beatles greatness is said to still shine through each track strongly.

How can it not?

Dave.

im looking forward to this cd as well dave.......even though its not new material any thing by the beatles is refreshing....compared to the tripe around today

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    One of the record stores here in Austin was playing it yesterday but only had that copy, refused to put it up for bidding and the large store was fairly jammed with interest. And the most frequently heard comment was "Why doesn't someone do that nowadays?"

From the on-line video clips with George Martin, he said he was given license to use "any sound used" to add to any song.

And I was so happy to get the stereo versions of their Capitol albums!

Beatles.COM is even acknowledging the existence of the LET IT BE film, although there is no acknowledgement of fan interest to put out a good copy onto DVD. Maybe they're waiting for Sony BetamaxD to rear its head.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been playing it most of the week. I work for distributors who sold me the album before release. I'm a huge Beatlemaniac and can honestly say its a fantastic album. Sir George and son Giles have done a fantastic job, cutting songs in half and swapping verses to give it a whole new sound. Standout tracks are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which was given a great new arrangement, "Get Back" and "I am the Walrus".

This is not a money making yet-another-bundle-of-Beatles-songs-for-Christmas release, its been backed by Paul and Ringo, plus Yoko and George Harrisons widow Olivia.

This album will make wannabes like the Gallaghers weep and give up.

78 minutes of genius. We won't see the like again.

Oh, and I dare any fan not to have a tear in their eye at the last few seconds of this CD.

Liked
    0 times
    I've not had the privelage to hear this yet, but sounds like a must-buy. Only in my 20's, but a huge Beatles fan and really, only Sir George should and could ever be allowed to do such a thing. He is the 5th Beatle and feels the music like no-one else meddling could.

Much respect to Sir GM and it's going to leave Oasis's greatest hits CD in its wake.

Liked
    151 times
    Big fan but I'm not enamoured with over-produced/remixed rock music and if anything prefer it stripped down to bare essentials.

Liked
    0 times
    Last friday I had the pleasure of attending a playback of the album,in 5:1 surround,actually in studio 2 at Abbey road.A very emotional and reverential experiance for all those in attendance.s

It does sound colossal,and not at all over produced.

I think after the excitement of hearing elements of the multitracks isolated or superimposed over other parts of differant songs has waned,the majority of us will return to the original songs.

I'm now off to get my own copy,in boring stereo !!

fred

Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']...I'm not enamoured with over-produced/remixed rock music and if anything prefer it stripped down to bare essentials.
    I've never understood why John, George and Ringo let the LET IT BE masters into the clutches of Phil Specter in the first place, unless it was an intentional trashing to rub Paul's nose in it. (Which was always strange since it was Paul's tunes that were orchestrated first - or was Phil Specter really an anti-George Martin move? Or a snubbing of both G-Martin and Paul?)

I say that because John's first solo album was stripped bare, although his second (IMAGINE) was again heavily lacquered with philharmonics. Did John so admire ALL THINGS that he just HAD to get Phil in there for mommy scream therapy songs?

And George and Phil seemed to have cordial relations for decades, however, but I never understood why songwriters wanted to cover up their musicianship with walls of sound that only lip-sync'ing could re-create.

This new LOVE is certainly a re-mix of sounds, which makes it more like a cross between a TV game show (Concentration - "what day's Track 2 contains this other sound?") and a homework project ("Today, Class, we're going to learn a new MIDI construct - open your books to Page 437...") than a great piece of music.

My biggest complaint about LOVE is a fear that its success will give license to continually re-mix the Beatles' catalog and I am not certain each collection of re-mixes will be so inviting once their newness wears off.

The comment "...then I'll go back to the originals" seems all too appropriate.

It's like a DVD's first version, followed 1 year later by the Director's Cut, then the Deluxe Version, the 10-Year Anniver edition, etc.

At some point, the all-too-obvious moneygrubbing attempts belittles the artist. Exactly how many versions of a song do they think I'll buy? I can prmoise "Revolution No. 934" is not going to get a penny from me.

But LOVE is exciting to me because it's the soundtrack to the Las Vegas show and it's nice to take that home with me. But the "5.1 vs. boring old stereo" is also appropriate.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not a great fan of remixed oldies either, usually preferring the rawness of the originals - I prefer to let them stand in their own time, so to speak. But each to his or her own.

But Christine, did you mention you're in Austin? There's a whole wealth of really talented contemporary singer-songwriters coming out of there right now!

Liked
    0 times
    Give it a listen MikeA... honestly it's one hell of an effort by GM. And if anyone is entitled to meddle, then it's the 5th Beatle!

Liked
    0 times
    I'm still playing it and finding new sounds and nuances each time. A truly wonderful experience.

Liked
    0 times
    My hubby's still kicking cats over the 10 years "lost" because of a certain twosome were more interested in pissing contests instead of working together.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I have never been fan of remixing old music (unless it is just to restore it) - Richard Carpenter is always doing it and it is quite hard to get their songs in their original mixes now. He started doing it in 1980s and now his 80s remixes sound like dated 80s mixes. Many of their 70s songs with their original mixes sound like dated 70s songs but at least they are product of their time - that is how they were were conceived.

Liked
    0 times
    name='ChristineCB']My hubby's still kicking cats over the 10 years "lost" because of a certain twosome were more interested in pissing contests instead of working together.

The surviving one is still doing it.

Love and Women ended the Beatles.

Liked
    6 times
    Just what we needed - a Jive Bunny Beatles remix with one track seguing into another ....... NOT!

And yes I have listened to it. It's going back to the shop.

I'm reminded of that wicked Spitting Image sketch about the time of the Beatles last "new" album with the Fab 3 sitting around a ouija board and asking what John thought of it. It starts to spell out: "Y-A . . M-O-N-E-Y . . .G-R-U-B-B-I-N-G . . . B-A-S-T-A-R-D-S . . . "

Liked
    0 times
    As a big Beatles fan I just couldn't see the point to this at all.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Aenima']As a big Beatles fan I just couldn't see the point to this at all.

Me too. I was sorely disappointed. In the hands of a master, this could have been so much better -maybe if someone of the credentials of Moby had been given the project?

But Giles Martin hasn't shown any inspiration in his clunky juxtaposition of tracks and mixes...I found the anthology CDs much more refreshing and revalatory.

Liked
    0 times
    Really good album but I think the idea of its actually betterthan the execution....

I mean how many best of's and tribute album's have we seen come out at Christmas over the years..........At least this was something different

Worthy of £9.99

Liked
    0 times
    I got a lot of out of it and played it to death a couple of months back, but am finding myself listening to the original versions again!

Still think it was a brave project, but perhaps a tad pointless.

Liked
    0 times
    I have enjoyed it thoroughly but, as was said, going back and listening the newly stereo-ized CAPITOL issues seems more fun for me.

Still, the rumor is the 'new' album was born of the predicted furor as the Cirque de Soleil show using this soundtrack opened in Vegas. I have yet to feel those tremors under our soil, a mere 1500 miles and a couple of mountain ranges away. Surely the storming of so many clamoring feet would have registered on my Richter scale, yes?

I wish they'd spend their time getting the LET IT BE film remastered and released. As if that's all it takes!