Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    Liked
    0 times
    Never ever saw this film before until a lab tech friend videoed this and presented it to me. Well all I can say is this film had me captive to my seat.

    Michael Redgrave gave a splendid performance as Capt. Karel Hasek, alias Geoffrey Mitchell.



    There is a close uncanny connection from this film to the Great Escape

    Gordon Jackson .... Lt. David Lennox and I'm thinking there is someone else

    that had a connection between the two films. I lost the video but remember a great performance and one I sat down to watch time and time again.



    Made in 1946 and It had taken me until 1996 to see this film and in the States

  2. #2
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BritATit
    Never ever saw this film before until a lab tech friend videoed this and presented it to me. Well all I can say is this film had me captive to my seat.

    Michael Redgrave gave a splendid performance as Capt. Karel Hasek, alias Geoffrey Mitchell.



    There is a close uncanny connection from this film to the Great Escape

    Gordon Jackson .... Lt. David Lennox and I'm thinking there is someone else

    that had a connection between the two films. I lost the video but remember a great performance and one I sat down to watch time and time again.



    Made in 1946 and It had taken me until 1996 to see this film and in the States
    The IMDb only lists Gordon Jackson as being in both films.

    There's a useful facility at The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) where you can give the names of two (or more) films or TV shows and they'll tell you who was in both (or all) of them. It checks for common cast & crew.



    I'm surprised there weren't more people in common between both films. They were both prison camp dramas of course.



    Steve

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for the delay but thanks for the info Steve. :

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,579
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    There's a useful facility...
    WOW! How cool is this! I am ALWAYS wanting to do this but never even tried it. THANKS for the great tip! Next time my Mr SmartyPants wants a brownie bet, I can use this against him AND get the last brownie!

  5. #5
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    WOW! How cool is this! I am ALWAYS wanting to do this but never even tried it. THANKS for the great tip! Next time my Mr SmartyPants wants a brownie bet, I can use this against him AND get the last brownie!
    There's a similarly useful one at The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) that lets you enter the names or two (or more) peple and see which titles they worked on together.



    One of the reasons I like the IMDb is that it's a proper database with (almost) everything cross referenced and it lets you do some complex searches like these.



    Steve

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Liked
    27 times
    I wish I knew how to do this with a television episode and film on the IMDB.

  7. #7
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    I wish I knew how to do this with a television episode and film on the IMDB.
    The one I mentioned first above shows you who was involved in two or more titles (film & TV) although it only works on series titles for TV series, not episode titles. And some things, like Cathy Come Home are episode titles (it was an episode of The Wednesday Play)



    Steve

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Didn't watch this the other afternoon when it was on but walked in on the scene where Jack Warner leads off the opposition singing.... Roll out the barrel, I think. The scene was in the exercise yard of a prisone camp and as the camera panned around it was like watching an ID parade of famous, half-forgotten and forgotten British actors. The one's I recall now were Michael Redgrave, Jack Warner and Sam Kydd but it seemed virtually every face in the crowd was somebody I at least recognised, even if I couldn't put a name to them!! I'm sure there's more uncredited that haven't made the imdb list yet...








  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    recorded this the other day, maybe tonight I will watch this very good film again. Jack Warner & Gladys Henson play man and wife for the first time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    0 times
    Well worth a look this one. Seems to have been overlooked recently but I think it stands up very well.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Liked
    10 times
    They showed The Captive Heart on Channel 5 at the weekend far too many breaks one after every 15 minutes or 20 minutes. The print wasn't the best I have too say. Although, I understand that the film has been released on DVD.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,865
    Liked
    69 times
    I only came into the film about half way and seeing the condition,I thought it was older than 1946 when it was made,but then on realising what the film was about,I figured it was made during or after the war. I might buy it off Play.com,as I had never seen the film before and it looked good - mind anything with Jack Warner was in,was good.

    Ta Ta

    Marky B

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    I only came into the film about half way and seeing the condition,I thought it was older than 1946 when it was made,but then on realising what the film was about,I figured it was made during or after the war. I might buy it off Play.com,as I had never seen the film before and it looked good - mind anything with Jack Warner was in,was good.

    Ta Ta

    Marky B


    Hi Marky, watched this last night, fabulous film. There is a particular tearjerking moment with Mervyn Johns towards the end. Jimmy Hanley,Jack,Gladys and Basil Radford are all on top form.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Marky, agree with your comments about Jack Warner. Interestingly, I saw one of his films the other day - 'My Brother's Keeper' - where, for once, he was on the wrong side of the law. Very good he was too.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25,718
    Liked
    492 times
    I watched this film this afternoon as my bank holiday treat (since the Great Escape, almost unbelievably, wasn't on). One of my all-time favourites and the long sequence culminating in the chorus of Roll Out the Barrell is possibly my favourite scene ever. There's a heart-stopping moment when Jack Warner looks really panic stricken because nobody joins in until - hurrah - Major Basil Radford sees an opportunity to boost morale. Does anybody know anything about the filming - supposedly in a camp that had only been vacated a few weeks earlier? One wonders what Derek Bond thought about the irony of his first role in years being recreating his occupation of most of the war.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,771
    Liked
    86 times
    And I notice that there will be some good news for the Bogarde Brigade in the good Doctor's next posting - The Blue Lamp.

    Nick

  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    209
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post

    One of the reasons I like the IMDb is that it's a proper database with (almost) everything cross referenced and it lets you do some complex searches like these.

    Steve




    Better not add anything in case I upset the more sensitive souls here...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25,718
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    The IMDb only lists Gordon Jackson as being in both films.

    There's a useful facility at The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) where you can give the names of two (or more) films or TV shows and they'll tell you who was in both (or all) of them. It checks for common cast & crew.



    I'm surprised there weren't more people in common between both films. They were both prison camp dramas of course.



    Steve
    The prison camp drama to compare with The Captive Heart is Albert RN in which, confusingly, Jack Warner is the Senior Officer, Guy Middleton is also there, and they all go on about escaping all the time rather than getting down the the proper POW duty of trying to recruit a decent cricket team

    As an aside, I've never seen anyone comment on the fact that Dr James Harcourt seems to suggest that Rachel Thomas has an abortion. Is this the earliest mention in a British film?

Similar Threads

  1. Film about a man held captive who eventually overpowers his opressor
    By al3xmeister in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-12-11, 12:26 AM
  2. Where the Heart Is
    By paul revere in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-10, 02:23 PM
  3. Captive Heart
    By ggwillym in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-09-09, 04:00 PM
  4. Don't Take it To Heart
    By lambchopnixon in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-05-04, 11:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts