Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Alastair Sim as Scrooge no NOT that one

The other one

Not the 1951 version

but the Cartoon one

Anyone have the 1971 Animated version of A Christmas Carol

In which Alastair Sim and Michael Horden both voiced their original characters

( Scrooge & Marley ) from the 1951 version

It won an Oscar for Best Short Subject, Animated Films in 1973

The only film version of "A Christmas Carol" to win an Oscar

I haven't seen it for years

Does anyone have a copy of this to trade

I have lots to swap

Busdriver

Liked
    0 times
    I should hold on,mate, it will probably be on this Christmas,it's just about due.

Liked
    0 times
    I have this if it's the Chuck Jones One with them Two voicing ... It was 72 it was made,

A Christmas Carol (1972)

This version is an animated short lasting just 27 minutes. The voice of Scrooge is provided by Alastair Sim, 21 years after he had created his best-loved role in Scrooge. The animation is directed by Richard Williams, the producing credit belongs to the inimitable Chuck Jones, Sir Michael Redgrave is the narrator and the music is performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

For any young child, this is the perfect introduction to this timeless tale. The subject matter is treated with respect, as are the audience, who are never talked down to. The traditional animation was meant to reproduce the appearance of the original illustrations and in this it succeeds brilliantly. The effects are stunning, but the cartoon makers never use an effect purely to impress. Every frame carries the story on, as the tale is told verbally and visually. The appearance of Marley's ghost will chill many adults, especially as he removes his handkerchief and lets his jaw drop. The journeys of Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Present are realised more effectively here than in any other version. The miner singing a carol in the flickering firelight is a mesmerising image. There are no weaknesses in pacing as every strand of the story is told with fantastic precision. The narration is perfectly paced, and Alastair Sim complements the animation with a more subtle performance as Scrooge.

The film-makers create a Scrooge that does not resemble Alastair Sim, which is a wise move as it does not distract the attention. The only allusion to the 1951 film is the character of the pawnbroker, a marvellously-realised cartoon portrait of actor Miles Malleson who played the part in that production. It succeeds where all other cartoons have failed by refusing to tone down the frightening aspects of the original story. The appearance of 'ignorance' and 'want' is genuinely shocking at any age.

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='knobbykins']I should hold on,mate, it will probably be on this Christmas,it's just about due.
    It's overdue! I too have been waiting for this to come on for many a festive season...(together with the other animated version)

Sadly, i don't share your confidence in the tv schedulers innovation, and anticipate another showing of 'the snowman' sandwiched between 'Goldfinger' and 'Guns of Naverone'!!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    You can see it on YouTube, though of course that's not an ideal way to see it.

Liked
    0 times
    name='aaron']It's overdue! I too have been waiting for this to come on for many a festive season...(together with the other animated version)

Sadly, i don't share your confidence in the tv schedulers innovation, and anticipate another showing of 'the snowman' sandwiched between 'Goldfinger' and 'Guns of Naverone'!!

As Donald Sutherland's Oddball says in Kelly's Heroes "Have a little Faith,Crap Game,have a little Faith!"

Liked
    0 times
    Hello!

Hey, guess what I've got on DVD.

It is not an 'official' , I think Channel 4 owns it but they won't show it (according to the fab Mr Williams who gave a lecture in the NFT some 12 years ago at which I was present). There is a deleted NTSC video of it on Amazon.com for a horrendous price but I taped it several years ago and transferred it to DVD-R. If you would like a copy with case, let me know!

Jotho

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm interested! Send me a PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Could you please explain your reference to sending a 'PM'!

I am new to here and don't understand the jargon!!!

Jotho

Liked
    0 times
    Fair point .

Make a note of the person you want to contact.

Go to the very top of your screen and click on Private Message.

In teh left hand column click on 'Send A New Message'

I think an alternate way is right hand click on someone's name and it's one of the options.

Remember and check your messages when you sign in to see if you have a reply.

Liked
    0 times
    Actually its left hand click on someone's name then follow the drop down menu!

Liked
    0 times
    name='busdriver']Alastair Sim as Scrooge no NOT that one

The other one

Not the 1951 version

but the Cartoon one

Anyone have the 1971 Animated version of A Christmas Carol

In which Alastair Sim and Michael Horden both voiced their original characters

( Scrooge & Marley ) from the 1951 version

It won an Oscar for Best Short Subject, Animated Films in 1973

The only film version of "A Christmas Carol" to win an Oscar

I haven't seen it for years

Does anyone have a copy of this to trade

I have lots to swap

Busdriver

I have sent a PM to you regarding this which is excellent (watched it again last night).

Would you like a copy?

I saw that you had M.R. James recordings from TV. Have you any others than:- 'Whistle and I'll Come to you', 'A Warning to the Curious', 'The Stalls of Barchester', 'Lost Hearts', 'The Treasure of Abbot Thomas', 'The Ash Tree', 'A View from a Hill' or 'Number 13' all of which I have! There was a version of 'The Tricate Midoth' shown in the 1960's as part of the superb 'Mystery & Imagination' series on ITV but I think this was wiped.

You mentioned that you were after 'The Happiest Days of Your Life' with the splendid Sim and Rutherford. I have a very good version from a deleted VHS with documentary about Alastair Sim on a DVD-R but you probably have it by now!

Anyway, send me a PM if anything would be of use to you!

Joth

Liked
    0 times
    I have this one ..Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol it is animated..

Liked
    0 times
    name='reigate']I have this one ..Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol it is animated..

I'm not sure if you are confusing 'Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol' (the first version of the story I ever saw back in the 1960's which I also have) but the British/Canadian animated version by Richard Williams of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' fame which is extraordinary and has never been released on DVD (mine was copied from the last time it was broadcast on CH4 back in the early 90's and transferred to DVD-R).

Jotho

Liked
    0 times
    name='aaron']It's overdue! I too have been waiting for this to come on for many a festive season...(together with the other animated version)

Hello!

I have an excellent DVD-R version of this sourced from the last broadcast by CH4 in the 1990's,

It has index points and a colour disc and cover!

Any interest, let me know!

Jotho