Liked
    151 times
    Ghost Ship (1952)

here's danger dead ahead when director Mark Robson (Bedlam) helms The Ghost Ship. Richard Dix (Cimarron, The Whistler series) plays the sinister captain whose port of call may be madness. All aboard!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks DB7 - "Ghost Ship" is quite an effective film - a bit short on suspense, perhaps, but very watchable.

I'm somewhat intrigued by Play's entry for this film...."Customers who bought Ghost Ship also bought......"

Very clever of them, bearing in mind Play won't be selling it until March 2007!

rgds

Rob

Liked
    151 times
    Hopefully they'll release House of Mystery and Man in the Back Seat from Sewell's back catalogue in the near future. I'm interested to know who is releasing this and what the print is like.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    The description is that of the Val Lewton produced Ghost Ship (1943). Apparently it is being released by Optimum but I am very surprised they selected this title, if it is the Vernon Sewell film. VCI Home Entertainment have the rights to this in the US, I think. They put out the video.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='DB7']Hopefully they'll release House of Mystery and Man in the Back Seat from Sewell's back catalogue in the near future. I'm interested to know who is releasing this and what the print is like.

I've been searching for 'House Of Mystery' for years DB, so I'll certainly join you in that hope.

Dave.

Liked
    151 times
    A lot of people have it Dave (ask the usual suspects:) and it is an excellent little chiller.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rob Compton']Thanks DB7 - "Ghost Ship" is quite an effective film - a bit short on suspense, perhaps, but very watchable.

I'm somewhat intrigued by Play's entry for this film...."Customers who bought Ghost Ship also bought......"

Very clever of them, bearing in mind Play won't be selling it until March 2007!

rgds

Rob
    What I can't understand about Amazon, Play.com et al is they give you a price for a 'new' dvd and then below it says 'new and used' at a higher price!!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Jim']What I can't understand about Amazon, Play.com et al is they give you a price for a 'new' dvd and then below it says 'new and used' at a higher price!!!

That's when individuals are selling DVDs through Amazon's marketplace or similar places. It gives the buyer some protection over the purchase. Not as much as actually purchasing from the company but more than on somewhere like eBay.

Thos individuals often price their DVDs higher than Amazon are selling them for because they are either waiting for Amazon to run out so that only their ones will be available - or they're just not very good at marketing

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I initially received the recent GHOST SHIP, endured that (thank goodness for FF buttons) and then saw the Val Lewton title. Despite seeing the more modern one with all those cool effects, Val's version is much much better. My hubby suggested the new one needed naked women. "Lotsa naked women, constantly" to hold his attention (this is not a complimentary review of a film, by the way).

As depressed as I get by thinking my best New Film Experiences have come and gone at a tender age of 31, I halfway expected to be tainted by the new Ghost Ship and less tolerant of Lewton's simply because I'd seen the new one first. Instead, I give Lewton's film far more enjoyment points, even though it isn't a favorite film. It's still far superior in atmosphere and construction. I can only wonder what Lewton & Peers could have done with modern effects. Would those 'nurses at the front of the theatre' have truly been necessary?