Liked
    0 times
    Hi. Does anyone remember a film, based in a school (I think late '70's early 80's) that was about a guy who bought and sold lunch tickets from the other students.....

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    I remember a short film from 1981 called THE DOLLAR BOTTOM where a schoolboy sold tickets to his fellow pupils to insure them against getting the cane. Could that be it ?

Liked
    0 times
    name='Hugo']I remember a short film from 1981 called THE DOLLAR BOTTOM where a schoolboy sold tickets to his fellow pupils to insure them against getting the cane. Could that be it ?

I don't think so. It was a question of kids not liking what was on the menu at first, then it became a big business with him, basically, buying most of the tickets and selling them back at quite an increased rate when they found out nearer lunch time that lunch today was actually something they liked.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Perhaps it could be A FEAST AT MIDNIGHT (GB 1994) with Christopher Lee as the latin master

Liked
    0 times
    name='Hugo']Perhaps it could be A FEAST AT MIDNIGHT (GB 1994) with Christopher Lee as the latin master

no

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Sounds to me like the made-for-TV THE TOKEN KING (1993) directed by Ray Kilby and starring a very young Samantha Morton, who would later find fame as MORVERN CALLAR.

It's set in the mid-late 70s, and is filmed to look like it's from that era, even down to the filters used, but it gives itself away on several points (there appears to be a slight confusion of punks and glammies and hippies that weren't that concurrent with each other, particularly as the punks in question appear to be sporting the more 80s Kings Road look). There's also a scene where everyone in the playground dances to Mud's "Tiger Feet" blaring from a tape recorder, but I'm sure said machine bore more resemblance to an 80s ghetto blaster than a 70s hand-held'n'mike job.

The 'tokens' in question are dinner tokens sold by the principal male character to court favour with his peers and get him the girl. I can't remember if he succeeds or not, as the tape was nicked ages ago by an ex of mine. However, I can confirm it was shown in 1993 as part of either BBC2 or Channel 4's glam rock weekend.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    Sounds to me like the made-for-TV THE TOKEN KING (1993) directed by Ray Kilby and starring a very young Samantha Morton, who would later find fame as MORVERN CALLAR.

It's set in the mid-late 70s, and is filmed to look like it's from that era, even down to the filters used, but it gives itself away on several points (there appears to be a slight confusion of punks and glammies and hippies that weren't that concurrent with each other, particularly as the punks in question appear to be sporting the more 80s Kings Road look). There's also a scene where everyone in the playground dances to Mud's "Tiger Feet" blaring from a tape recorder, but I'm sure said machine bore more resemblance to an 80s ghetto blaster than a 70s hand-held'n'mike job.

The 'tokens' in question are dinner tokens sold by the principal male character to court favour with his peers and get him the girl. I can't remember if he succeeds or not, as the tape was nicked ages ago by an ex of mine. However, I can confirm it was shown in 1993 as part of either BBC2 or Channel 4's glam rock weekend.
    Uploaded by the director himself, the very sign you describe. But he doesn't have a copy of the film / programme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p0YXezLq_68

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    Perhaps it could be A FEAST AT MIDNIGHT (GB 1994) with Christopher Lee as the latin master
    With one Michael Gove as the chaplain

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    With one Michael Gove as the chaplain
    All praise to the Great One

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    All praise to the Great One