Thread: Private Potter

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    watched this film on tcm on the weekend....not a bad film .as usual tom courtney was as brilliant as ever....ive never seen this film before..always interested to hear anything about brit films from fellow brit film fans..any info ? found that this film was on the lines of the loneliness of the long distance runner..i thought the captain who had to deal with the subject played a good part any one know his name ?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fred kite
    watched this film on tcm on the weekend....not a bad film .as usual tom courtney was as brilliant as ever....ive never seen this film before..always interested to hear anything about brit films from fellow brit film fans..any info ? found that this film was on the lines of the loneliness of the long distance runner..i thought the captain who had to deal with the subject played a good part any one know his name ?
    The cast list on the IMDb (always worth checking) lists two captains. I presume you would have realised one was Frank Finlay. The other captain, Captain John Knowles, was played by Eric Thompson, father of Emma Thompson.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    "The other captain, Captain John Knowles, was played by Eric Thompson, father of Emma Thompson."

And Sophie, too!

Liked
    0 times
    I recorded this from the TV but haven't seen it for years..I'm always interested in what Mr. Courtenay gets up to. I don't think it was swinging or groovy enough from my tastes when I saw it first time around, but I'd probably like it a lot more now.

Liked
    0 times
    I watched this last year and the only problem I have is that I remember the original TV play and they have tacked on a subplot which looks so obviously like a tacked on subplot.

When this went out it was a b-movie to Joseph Losey's KING AND COUNTRY which I don't think did a lot of business, so I reckon most people who see this now see it on TCM at around 5 in the morning.