Thread: The Stranger

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    It used to be on Children's TV in the 60s. It was on Tuesdays. I know that because I remember eating pancakes while watching. :)

I have looked it up many a time with no success, so I must have the title wrong.

The opening titles featured a man walking inside a huge communications dish and the 'music' was pretty sinister...just a single piano note (or two, simultaneously) held until it tailed off.

It was on the other side of something more popular (the name of which escapes me for now) so it may not be that well known.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The B-side to the Shadows' hit MAN OF MYSTERY (1960) was called 'THE STRANGER', and was a slower, darker piece.

The A-side was a series theme (Edgar Wallace), and I have a vague idea that the B-side might have been as well.

Sorry so indefinite.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    Ah Edgar Wallace.

Dunno if it was in that series or another but I remember one episode where someone couldn't get rid of a car. It kept coming back and eventually appeared in their living room.

Liked
    0 times
    OK not quite a film or even British. 6 parter I think, which involved UFOs appearing over Canberra, risk of intergalactic war etc etc. I'm pretty certain it was made by the Australian Broadcasting Commission and it was repeated at least once by BBC in the second half of the 60s. Around the same time as such gems as Captain Zeppos, The Singing Ringing Tree, Tom Tom,

Liked
    0 times
    That would be "The Stranger" - two series of six episodes each. They aired in mid 1965 here in Australia.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. Checked on IMDB and it certainly sounds like the one I remember. It was pretty good stuff - a bit edgier than good old Doctor Who. Has it ever been released on video/dvd ?

And while you're here, where can I get a Magic Boomerang ? Now that was cool.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Does anyone have any memories of a television serial from the 60s featuring an alien and some children who encounter him, which stuck in my mind as being called THE STRANGER, scant details of which can be found on IMDB (if it's the same serial I'm remembering!). All I seem to recall is it being in black and white (though TV was all black and white then) and very atmospheric and there was a scene in a greenhouse at night where the stranger is found. He had a continental look to him (a bit Christopher Lee-ish) and wore a light coloured mac, white shirt and dark tie.

According to the IMDB, this was a 1965 Australian series which must've been shown here, unless I'm thing of something else completely.

Anyone remember this?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell
    Does anyone have any memories of a television serial from the 60s featuring an alien and some children who encounter him, which stuck in my mind as being called THE STRANGER, scant details of which can be found on IMDB (if it's the same serial I'm remembering!). All I seem to recall is it being in black and white (though TV was all black and white then) and very atmospheric and there was a scene in a greenhouse at night where the stranger is found. He had a continental look to him (a bit Christopher Lee-ish) and wore a light coloured mac, white shirt and dark tie.

According to the IMDB, this was a 1965 Australian series which must've been shown here, unless I'm thing of something else completely.

Anyone remember this?
    Yes, I do! I posted re this before but no great leads I'm afraid-I was enthralled by it and remember one episode in particular. This episode was about a pilot in a 'spaceship' who was receiving directions from base on how to land his craft. The pilot had a dazzling array of controls switches and levers in front of him, and the (female) contoller from base was giving carefull instructions on how to land safely! That's about all I can remember!

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I remember it well. It was shown on the BBC as 2 serials. There was a novel of it - which I have. The last episode is on You Tube. I think that all the episodes still exist and I would certain be eager to get a DVD release of it.

Liked
    0 times
    I never actually saw the show but I recall it was forever being written about in JUNIOR POINTS OF VIEW which I think would place it in 1966 and I know it was repeated on more than one occasion, possibly as late as 1968 as someone wrote in and said it was on so often, it should be renamed 'The Acquaintance'..