Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yootha Joyce

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    how brilliant she was.......ive just bought all her sitcoms george and mildreds .......great comedy timing..she showed this in a few steptoes....with brian murphy they were a great double act....[. g and m ] .this sitcom was often slagged off but i loved them ......whats your views ????????

Liked
    5 times
    She was a star in her own right, lovely lady great actress she starred in a lot of things, nearest and dearest the film version she was the land lady in the boarding house in Blackpool and as you mention steptoe and son, she was a hard act to follow the best.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a memory of Yootha very convincingly playing a vamp in a movie.

Was it this one?

Our Mother's House (1967)

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fred kite
    how brilliant she was.......ive just bought all her sitcoms george and mildreds .......great comedy timing..she showed this in a few steptoes....with brian murphy they were a great double act....[. g and m ] .this sitcom was often slagged off but i loved them ......whats your views ????????
    No matter how many times I watch repeats of 'George and Mildred' I never fail to laugh out loud to the antics of the duo. The episodes remain as funny and fresh today as when first broadcast. The casting of Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce together could not have been more perfect.

A sixth series of the show had been planned before Yootha's sudden and untimely death.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    i thought the series had ended any way.didnt know that a new series was on the cards.....sad...wasnt she married to glyn edwards dave off minder?????????

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Yootha Joyce & Brian Murphy were one of the best double acts of the 1970s. GEORGE & MILDRED was compulsory viewing in our house and to this day I use the phrase 'Wossname' as George would when describing wossnames to Mildred.

It speaks volumes that the popularity of these characters allowed them a sustainable spin-off only curtailed, as has been said, by Yootha's sad passing. A mention should also be given to the support of the Fourmile family (Eshley, Fearn and Bond-Owen) and the wonderful performance by the great Roy Kinnear as dodgy Jerry, George's 'mate'.

In OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE Yootha was (IIRC) the nosey cleaning lady ; she may well have had intentions towards the returning father (Bogarde) which may be what gives the vampish recollection mentioned above.

And yes, Yootha was at one pont married to Glynn Edwards, but not at the time of her death I don't think.

Another great 70s turn of hers in sitcom land was as the militant feminist clippie in ON THE BUSES. A greatly talented lady.

SMUDGE

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The TV series Man About the House (1973) was a great source of spin-offs and remakes.

Man About the House (1973) was made into a feature film Man About the House (1974)

- It gave us the spin-off series George and Mildred (1976) which was also made into a feature film George and Mildred (1980)

- It also gave us the spin-off series Robin's Nest (1977)

-- The series Man About the House (1973) was remade as Three's Company (1977) in the US

-- The series George and Mildred (1976) was remade as The Ropers (1979) in the US

-- The series Robin's Nest (1977) was remade as Three's a Crowd (1984) in the US

The original series, Man About the House has also been remade in Sweden, Finland, Poland and The Netherlands

Steve

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Another great role Yootha Joyce had was as the vicious neurotic woman Anne Bancroft meets in the hairdressers in The Pumpkin Eater (1964). Yootha completely dominates the scene - she was a great character star even before she did George and Mildred

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Yootha Joyce & Brian Murphy were one of the best double acts of the 1970s. GEORGE & MILDRED was compulsory viewing in our house ............................

a mention should also be given to the support of the Fourmile family (Eshley, Fearn and Bond-Owen) SMUDGE
    I totally agree. It was also compulsory viewing in our house when I was growing up. I thought Yootha Joyce was a terrific comedy actress with perfect timing, and her put-downs of George (Brian Murphy) were hilarious. I also agree that the Formile family played a big part in the success of the series, particularly Nicholas Bond-Owen, who was one of my favourite child actors.

It might not be the height of fashion now, but I still find George and Mildred as funny as ever. Yootha Joyce's premature death was such a sad loss.

Regards

Phil Turner

Liked
    150 times
    A great tribute to her is that I have never seen anything negative written about Yootha by anybody.

I believe that she had a drink problem but nobody realised until after her death because she was such a professional and always gave a stunning performance.

It is also a credit to her that she remained friends with Glynn Edwards and his new wife. He still speaks very fondly of her - as everybody who ever worked with her.

Brian Murphy visited her in hospital on the day she died but his mother was also in hospital at the time. I think I remember him once saying that he didn't realise that Yootha was so ill and naturally went to be with his mother.

I still end up with tears of laughter when I watch Brian and Yootha as George & Mildred - even though I've seen every episode many many times and it's so dated!

Starryx

Liked
    150 times
    Further to my last reply, Imdb states that Brian Murphy was at Yootha's bedside when she died - so that must be true. What a lovely thought.

Starryx.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Yootha Joyce & Brian Murphy were one of the best double acts of the 1970s.
    I recently spotted the pair of them on a Fifties Playbill. They must have known each other for their whole careers...... She had bone structure didn't she....

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm a big, new fan of yootha Joyce after seeing her in George & Mildred and in a film version of Nearest and dearest.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend any additional telly/ film work of hers?

hope so.

GRAEME
    Try IMDB

Yootha Joyce

Liked
    0 times
    I was thinking today that the premature death of Yootha Joyce in 1980 was an ernomous loss to the acting industry.

Prior to seeing her as Mldred in Man About The House and George and Mildred I remember seeing her in the sitcom Me Mammy with Milo O'Shea.

I loved her potrayal of Mildred, patricuraly the dry wit, she was one of the great strenghts of Man About The House.

I think that Yootha sadly died slightly before the George and Mildred spin off film was released.

In 1974 at the height of her fame I saw her walking her dog in Paddington I think she lived around there.

Just checked her age when she died, 53. Tragic!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    She did a lot of character roles in British films & television before she found fame with Man About the House and then George and Mildred. She was a respected character actress gradually working her way up the cast list towards higher profile roles

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Saw her in an old episode of Steptoe & son as Harold's bit of stuff, it was an older B & W episode.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    What a gifted actress she was. I was recently watching a dvd of the first series of 'Open All Hours' and Yootha was a customer in Arkwright's shop, hidden under a black wig! Being the first series it was a while back of course, and she appears in one of the first three episodes.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I had no idea that she had been this prolific until I checked IMDb.

Yootha Joyce

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I think at one time she was married to Glyn Edwards (Dave the barman in Minder).

I once moored a boat next to him on the Thames.

His narrowboat was called "The Winchester".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast