Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    another peter sellers classic......so many british stars richard attenborough,virginia gaskel,kenneth griffith graham stark played a very camp visitor to the library and was brill.no british film would be comlete with out john le mesurier....did he ever turn a film roll own? not that im knocking him .....any one else like this hidden gem?

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    Pretty sure I've seen it but I think I recall a TV series more.

I do recall many years ago seeing a Peter Sellers movie on TV that I thought was very funny. All I remember about it was him playing a piano and vaulting over a concrete post - perhaps falling.

Were these scenes from this movie or something else?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BristolUK
    Pretty sure I've seen it but I think I recall a TV series more.

I do recall many years ago seeing a Peter Sellers movie on TV that I thought was very funny. All I remember about it was him playing a piano and vaulting over a concrete post - perhaps falling.

Were these scenes from this movie or something else?
    the tv series is of the same...kingslely amis that uncertain feeling ....peter sellers plays a librarian in aberdarcy swansea..he has a fling with an ageing man eater who fancies him..lots of funny moments.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fred kite
    another peter sellers classic......so many british stars richard attenborough,virginia gaskel,kenneth griffith graham stark played a very camp visitor to the library and was brill.no british film would be comlete with out john le mesurier....did he ever turn a film roll own? not that im knocking him .....any one else like this hidden gem?
    As per his autobiog Le Mesurier very much considered himself a 'jobbing actor' ; this might explain his high work rate...

SMUDGE

Member Country: England bitterblue's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Really good film, but made particularly memorable by Mai Zetterling who I recall was high on my fanciable female film stars list at the time. She went on to more worthy and serious work in the cinema of course. Remember first seeing her in The Tall Headlines, a 50's brit film shown on TV in the early 60s with a great array of british acting talent.

Kenneth Griffith, who was a very controversial figure in his later career, died last year.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    There's a great scene where the pretentious literary figure played by Richard Attenborough asks librarian Peter Sellers "Still peddling trash to the masses"? Sellers replies, "yes, still writing it"?

Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    A lady friend of ours who is a bit depressed because its the anniversary of her husband's death has recalled how she played a walk-on part, where Peter Sellars who played a librarian, got off a bus to into the library in Alexandra Road, Swansea. She says she has never seen the film.

Just wondered if anyone could spare a copy on DVD?

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I like this film, it's a pity that John Lewis was living in such dismal surroundings but that must have been what the book demanded. It is available on DVD in "The Peter Sellers Collection."

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerThornhill
    I like this film, it's a pity that John Lewis was living in such dismal surroundings but that must have been what the book demanded.
    Rarely can librarians afford anything better

Liked
    22 times
    Spoiler, doesn't he do the review and post it off unaware the theatre has burnt down?

Liked
    0 times
    I just posted about this film elsewhere in the forums...the nude "mirror shot" of Mai Zetterling's stunt double must have been innovative and controversial in 1962. Was it the first blantantly nude butt shot in a mainstream British movie?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettySpaghetti
    I just posted about this film elsewhere in the forums...the nude "mirror shot" of Mai Zetterling's stunt double must have been innovative and controversial in 1962. Was it the first blantantly nude butt shot in a mainstream British movie?
    Hardly. Some early British films had full frontal nudes

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

Hardly. Some early British films had full frontal nudes
    So the scene in that movie would not have raised an eyebrow in 1962? The censors didn't try to cut it, and there were plenty of other movies circa 1962 that featured female nudity?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettySpaghetti

So the scene in that movie would not have raised an eyebrow in 1962? The censors didn't try to cut it, and there were plenty of other movies circa 1962 that featured female nudity?
    That's not what I said

The films back in the 1920s didn't have any censorship. There were lots of cases of naked bodies in them.

When censorship was imposed, everyone covered up and stayed covered up until the gradual revealing through films like this one. But this wasn't the first British film to show a naked butt.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

That's not what I said

The films back in the 1920s didn't have any censorship. There were lots of cases of naked bodies in them.

When censorship was imposed, everyone covered up and stayed covered up until the gradual revealing through films like this one. But this wasn't the first British film to show a naked butt.

Steve
    Clearly I didn't phrase the question well enough. What I'm after are examples of those post-censorship, post-code films into which people were gradually exposed, a la "Only Two Can Play." Being a Yank, I know about the American-made movies that chipped away at the censorship rules (i.e., 1964's The Pawnbroker), but the Brits are always ahead of the game.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Well...... Susan Hampshire appears nude (very tastefully from the rear, and in a long shot ) in During One Night (1961).....

The nude scene was probably added by producer Kenneth Rive of Gala films so that the film obtained an 'X' certificate, for marketing purposes......