Liked
    0 times
    I am an American, father was British. In summer of 1971, right after my 3rd year of high school, I went to England to visit family; tickets were $200 that summer, and Europe was crammed full of visitors. Huge tents in the London parks to keep everyone housed, etc.

One day, I was walking through London, a camera around my neck - I was, and still am, a serious amateur photographer (the camera was a Miranda Sensomat SLR, if that rings any bells. Great lens.) I had started out in the East End, where my half-sister worked in a dental clinic, and walked a good long way into the center of town. On the way, I happened onto Covent Garden, which at the time was still (I think) a working produce market. (If not, it had only recently closed.) And there, I found a movie crew at work. And guess what, the man in charge was none other than Alfred Hitchcock, Himself, shooting scenes for Frenzy. I recognized him (who wouldn't?), took a couple of snaps, and moved on. It was all very low key, the movie setup: a few lights, a few people, not the endless wagons and RVs one sees these days. I caught Hitchcock looking through a camera, as I recall. I was fairly close to him, a few yards only. No tele lens needed.

I wish, now, that I had stayed longer. I had yet to be truly bitten by the film bug. That would happen in a few months, when I discovered Welles. So, ultimately, I was careless with the negs. And shamefully, I seem to have lost them. I do know that I am not making this up because I did give a print of one of these Hitchcock photos to a friend (and major film nut) two years later. And he still has it. Me, I have only this nice memory - of a moment when big-shot directors (OK, Hitch was on his way down; Frenzy was hardly his best) let goofy teenagers get within spitting distance while they worked their art in the streets.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='JVerity'] the man in charge was none other than Alfred Hitchcock, Himself, shooting scenes for Frenzy. I recognized him took a couple of snaps, and moved on.
    Now, if you'd been a Blonde, things might have been different.....

On my first ever trip to London in 1976, I was walking towards the Albert Memorial and a chap was coming in the opposite direction. He had a Sherlock Holmes style top and hat and consequently I was looking at him and as we got nearer I suddenly recognised him. It was Frankie Howerd. Noticing my gaze he suddenly peered at me as we were passing each other, and being British, I swiftly averted my eyes..........

I didn't get a photo but as I was only 17 and wore my blond hair long at the time (back when I had some!)............ who knows what opportunities I missed.........

Liked
    0 times
    I saw Frankie Howerd too, back in the 60s walking down Wardour street but minus the Holmes gear ( What are those topcoats called? I thought it was Ouster but stumbled on a gay fetish site when I did a google search with the term!!). Also from the 60s, memories come flooding back of London street sightings of Clint Walker (Cheyenne bodie) Charlie Watts, The Bachelors and Michael Gough. I was introduced to Richard Rodney Bennett (composer of the score for Murder on the Orient Express) in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I also watched Oliver Reed and Diana Rigg filming a scene from The assasination Bureau in Hyde Park. I once spoke to Hugh Paddick (of Julian and Sandy fame) in Bournemouth. I saw Lauren Bacall at a (bad) performance of Hamlet at Greenwich and Ava Gardner at a Monserrat Caballe recital at the RFH.

Later street sightings include "Terry and June" walking through Soho and a Soho square sighting of Patricia Hayes supported between two men! I caught the eye of David Essex near the Aldwych and received a smile in return. Sadly, though, I never met, or even saw, my idol, Peter Cushing.

I have a friend who works at Waterloo station who tells me it's a great place for celebrity-spotting. Those he has met there include David Suchet,Francis Matthews, Norman Jones, George Baker, Maureen Lipman and Will Young ...although he didn't realise it until one of his colleagues told him who he had just served. I'm just off to another celebrity haunt for the weekend, Brighton. I was once approached in the street by Anna Wing (Lou from Eastenders) who enquired the way to "Oh, you know, the sugar-plum fairy place." ( I think she meant The Royal Pavilion) - a very strange request from one who lived in Brighton at the time!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='JVerity']

One day, I was walking through London, a camera around my neck - I was, and still am, a serious amateur photographer (the camera was a Miranda Sensomat SLR, if that rings any bells. Great lens.)

I remember Miranda SLR cameras from my days as a photographic salesman. Sold in the UK exclusively through Dixons stores. Cheap and cheerful, but capable of very good results.

Anyway, back to talking about films...

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Ascoyne D'Ascoyne']I saw Frankie Howerd too, back in the 60s walking down Wardour street but minus the Holmes gear ( What are those topcoats called? I thought it was Ouster but stumbled on a gay fetish site when I did a google search with the term!!)
    It's an Ulster coat.

See an example and description in the last entry at

The Sutlers Store

Were you confusing it with "Ostler" as well?

That's a stable hand who looked after the horses but sometimes also rode on the carriage so needed a big coat.

Steve