Thread: BBC finances

Liked
    0 times
    I saw on today's news that the BBC is to receive £2 billion in funding less than was hoped-for over the next six years. If that means that instead of re-newing Jonathan Ross's contract they will dust off some of the Old Mother Riley films they're reputed to have in the archives and show them, it can only be a good thing.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Duplicated

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    name='Ascoyne D'Ascoyne']I saw on today's news that the BBC is to receive £2 billion in funding less than was hoped-for over the next six years. If that means that instead of re-newing Jonathan Ross's contract they will dust off some of the Old Mother Riley films they're reputed to have in the archives and show them, it can only be a good thing.
    If they got rid of the overpaid "personality" presenters who have zero personality and add absolutely nothing to the viewing experience, and had less reliance on out-sourcing programme making to third party companies run by former colleagues, friends and relatives in return for ample personal incentives, the existing licence money would go a lot further I'm sure. Most people would feel happier if funds were channelled into worthwhile in-house programme making and not used to play catch-up and compete with ITV's tabloid standards with all manner of "celebrity" based shows!

You can see the decline in the quality BBC TV and radio over recent years because a lot of the most popular shows on either broadcast medium are bloody repeats from 25+ years ago! The sad thing is that in 25 years time they'll be relying on repeats from 50+ years ago!

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    There's a few repeats I'd gladly watch.....Mine....

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    name='harryfielder']There's a few repeats I'd gladly watch.....Mine....

Aitch,

I'd pick out "The two Ronnies" appearance for special mention. Very lovely.

Liked
    0 times
    In the good old days, the afternoons were scheduled for showing the old 'black and white' movies. Nowadays, they seem to have largely been muscled aside in favour of 'lifestyle' programmes on gardening, cooking and property development, which are repeated ad naseum.