Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    For a few years, I've used IMDB's DVD-VHS icons as a relative 'bible' or authority on commercially available DVDs.

With last year's BestBuy release of their "Ultimate Sci Fi Collection" containing some never-before-released classic monster films - which IMDB and Amazon didn't (couldn't?) recognize - I wonder how complete Amazon's listings are. Certainly, they are only listing those titles they have for sale - I can't expect them to do anything else.

But is there a more complete site, like some 'clearinghouse' site?

I don't pay much attention to EBAY but I have scouted them out from time to time.

For upcoming DVD Releases, I have found that BargainFlix.COM presents as complete of list IN THE STATES, but nothing for Europe/UK. And BargainFlix is, more or less, a clearinghouse site for DVD availability but occasionally it doesn't have the links into a truly-available title at Amazon's.

Why can't all these places be perfect?!!

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    In UK, you can probably use bbfc to at least find out if something has been released on video or DVD at some point, since everything released here has to be certified by them. It won't be much use if you are trying to track something down though.

Liked
    0 times
    Wolfie, thanks for this BBFC link. Yes, this is a good starting point - "tracking something down" can be the easier second step if I know I'm not spinning my wheels.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']For a few years, I've used IMDB's DVD-VHS icons as a relative 'bible' or authority on commercially available DVDs.

With last year's BestBuy release of their "Ultimate Sci Fi Collection" containing some never-before-released classic monster films - which IMDB and Amazon didn't (couldn't?) recognize - I wonder how complete Amazon's listings are. Certainly, they are only listing those titles they have for sale - I can't expect them to do anything else.

But is there a more complete site, like some 'clearinghouse' site?

I don't pay much attention to EBAY but I have scouted them out from time to time.

For upcoming DVD Releases, I have found that BargainFlix.COM presents as complete of list IN THE STATES, but nothing for Europe/UK. And BargainFlix is, more or less, a clearinghouse site for DVD availability but occasionally it doesn't have the links into a truly-available title at Amazon's.

Why can't all these places be perfect?!!

The IMDb were bought out by Amazon in 1990. While they retain a fair degree of autonomy they are only allowed to advertise DVDs on the various Amazon sites.

Amazon are quite good for checking the availability of DVDs from major labels. But smaller releases would often find the premium charged by Amazon when Amazon sell something themselves (not in the Amazon marketplace) to be too much.

It's always best to shop around. Build up a list of retailers that you like, that you find to be reliable, and check all of them for every title you're interested in buying. There is no one retailer that always gives the best price because they all often discount certain titles if they aren't shifting as fast as they hoped.

eBay is often useful to add to the list to be checked if nobody else has it. When you buy on eBay you have far fewer guarantees as to quality, legality, or even to it actually arriving.

Caveat emptor

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    In addition, DD Video have titles that should not be available to Amazon on their own label.

Liked
    0 times
    Steve, I didn't realize IMDB wasn't just a cooperative link into Amazon but WAS Amazon - to some degree or another. It's a fine database even with that sole-merchant slant.

Thanks for the DDVIDEO notice, too - it's a vendor I forget from time to time, although I have it bookmarked (apparently, it doesn't take too much for me to forget).

Uh, what was I saying?

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    name='ChristineCB']I wonder how complete Amazon's listings are. Certainly, they are only listing those titles they have for sale - I can't expect them to do anything else.

To be fair I sometimes come across titles on Amazon UK/USA/Canada that they don't have.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Also you should remember that prior to the introduction of the Video Recordings Act (1984) around 13,000 videotapes were issued in the UK on VHS, Beta, V2000 without BBFC video certificates - these releases are not listed on the BBFC website.

You can search for titles issued on UK video prior to 1984/5 here:

Pre-Certification Video

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='ChristineCB']For a few years, I've used IMDB's DVD-VHS icons as a relative 'bible' or authority on commercially available DVDs.

But is there a more complete site, like some 'clearinghouse' site?....
    Hi, Christine,

I'm always on the lookout for a new Bogarde release, so I understand your wish for a master list. Steve's point about compiling a running list of video/dvd sources is excellent. In addition, think out of the box. I know you do, but it took me a while to realise that I should continually browse German, Australian, French, Spanish, etc. dvd sources (and video if available) which will often release a film not available in the States or the UK. I continually find Bogarde dvds at Australian and German sites although one has to look carefully to make sure a dvd from a German site has English as an option and is not just dubbed in German. Bogarde's voice dubbed over in German would be a travesty! not to mention hard to follow for this German-challenged viewer.

Good luck, and if you come across some unusual source, please do let us know.

All the best,

Barbara

Dirk_Bogarde_Brigade - a Yahoo Group

Liked
    0 times
    Good notes, all the way around.

BargainFlix COM is a fairly good clearinghouse site for American-Canadian Region-1 DVDs. They have a "Released This Week", "Last Week" and "Next Week" lists that seems fairly comprehensive.

I've added in DDVIDEO and several of the UK-Rental sites to my monthly searches.

If you care to list Australian-NZ sites, I'd appreciate the recommendations.