Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Turner Movies has been showing some Late '50s rock & roll movies today (BOP GIRL, DON'T KNOCK THE TWIST, etc.) - they're just awful, but fun - for a little while. It's enough to almost cure me of my desire to look into a Beatnik/Mersey Beat film collection!

These are clearly the opposite of this thread's criticism - in these late '50s rock & roll movies, the acting, dialog, direction are all The Problem, and they could done more by only doing More Music!

I know these films will never be confused with HARD DAY'S NIGHT quality, but clearly these late '50s films were put together with some recognition of popular acts but not without the understanding that Acting & Dialog were useless distractions. While those '50s Bettie Page Stripper films are terrible movies, they had a clear understanding of what the audience wanted: trot up some girl, have her strip, get her off the stage, and bring up the next one. Over and over.

This is probably why I like THE LAST WALTZ and MAD DOGS & ENGLISHMEN. Even WOODSTOCK. If we're not hearing the music or watching the performance, then we're listening to the musicians or stageys. "Watch out for the brown acid..."

After all, a little public sevice announcement never hurt...

Liked
    0 times
    Lots of films come to mind where the music has been intrinsic to the atmosphere of the camera and story. Not going to mention too many, but those that immediatley spring to mind are The Third Man who can ever forget that haunting zither which fused with the glory of the magnificent photography.

Another must be the sweeping soundtrack to Lawrence of Arabia.

Of recent films the score to The Motorcycle diaries does add immensely to the emotions of its grandeur and humanistic message.

Richard

Liked
    0 times
    THIRD MAN is a terrific example of strange music and strange story mixed with seemingly ordinary people in strange circumstances. (Or maybe those are really strange people, too!)

I don't know if the music differs from scene to scene, actually - I think only the tempo changes. I think it's actually all one long piece (4 minute? 5 total?). But regardless, the tone is - as you say - "fused" into us and our film-experience.

The decision by Reed (or ??) to cover up the natural scene sounds with music, and other times, layer the music well under the tone of running footsteps, makes this film an example of How It Should Be Done.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    name='penfold']Currently watching Robin Hood Prince of Thieves....and the music is pretty bad, but no worse than the rest of the film. I think there is simply too much music, too much sweeping orchestral strings...Lord Of The Rings is a case in point, so much music telling us 'Epic' when we can see the scenic grandeur for ourselves.

Score composers seem to be aiming for Oscars/ soundtrack sales/concert commissions rather than remembering that sometimes less is more...

One of my bugbears about going to the cinema,is that when the music stops people around me start talking,dialogue fails to hold their attention.

Terry

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Mr Dean'] 2. DVD distributors must assume that audiences will invest in Dolby and other digital systems. (Of course this should mean better sound effects at low levels, but too often it just means loud music.)
    I wonder if they should take a leaf from the Computer gaming world. I have spent a lot of time playing the games in the series, "Silent Hill". That was a game that was almost totally reliant on sound effects for its spookiness - a lot of silence and odd 'off-screen' noises......... It had a music option which was switchable but it completely spoiled the effects so I don't know who would want it on......

On the subject of movie soundtracks..... I wouldn't like to over-generalise but don't recent movie-makers often make use of music the audience already knows, or genre that induce a memory or mood? The end-credits are often like an RCA back-catalogue......... I wonder if Jackie Brown walking through that airport would have been quite so exciting if all we had heard was the clip-clip of her heels.....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Moor Larkin']I wonder if Jackie Brown walking through that airport would have been quite so exciting if all we had heard was the clip-clip of her heels.....
    With Pam Grier in those heels, yes of course it would have been exciting - although maybe differently so

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='foha80']One of my bugbears about going to the cinema,is that when the music stops people around me start talking,dialogue fails to hold their attention.
    Oh no! Well... at least when you chainsaw them, they shouldn't complain about your freedom of expression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12