Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I think this was the title of a channel 4 series for schools. It was a long series that featured a family, I think in London, and showed how they used to live. I have never seen it for sale.If anybody has any more information I would be very grateful. Jane

Liked
    0 times
    I remember the lead actress in it was DIana Davies and according to her biography they made 20 episodes - but they don't even get a mention on imdb. The rights I believe are held by Granada.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    They used to make us watch this at boarding school in Devon- about the only good thing I can remember from my entire time there, actually. Love to see it again, if it's available.

Liked
    0 times
    Does it still exist in the archives? I think it started in the late 1970s and was shown during ITV Schools programming, which eventually switched to Channel 4 in 1987.

Certainly very well made, although they were one or two niggles, such as the episode on the 1969 moon landing. The family TV set was a 1970s Decca Bradford colour set which didn't exist in 1969!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I seem to remember that one series of How We Used to Live covered the Victorians. We were shown it at Primary School in the 1970s ...and I remember a particular episode where a family had a heated bath for the first time - this consisted of an enamelled bath suspended over some gas burners! One member of the family forgot to turn the burners off before getting into the bath - and there was a fair bit of shrieking - which caused much hillarity in the classroom

Liked
    0 times
    I remember being taken to another class and the great moment of my early schooling 'The wheeling in of the T.V' We watched this every week in primary school would have been around 1978.I also remember having to answer questions on the show afterwards which i loved as i was always so 'attentive' when it came to the television!

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    We saw this at my primary school in 1984 it was for 1901 -1911 period. Since it came under 'schools program' heading it was made available to schools on VHS. Most schools made offair VHS recordings so they will most likely not have sold to well. This was 23 years ago so many of these VHS tape will have been wiped, re-used then junked sadly so you might find it a real struggle to source!

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Part of this series was based on the victorians. i was partly responsible for making sure the horse bus they used had the correct bus conductor equipment

Liked
    0 times
    This series was made by Yorkshire Television, and all still exists in the ITV archives as far as I know. I have one complete series on DVD - the 1930's/40's are covered on it.

I've seen pirate copies of other series on ebay a few times recently - from sellers who are selling bootleg collections of various schools programmes.

It was shown from the mid seventies to the early eighties on ITV schools.

The series covered Victorian times to the sixties as far as I know.

Member Country: UK Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant series, about the only "fun" thing I can remember from 1970s schooling. We saw it from the Edwardians through to the 2nd World War (Daisy Ackerly was the head of the household I think). Once caught it in the 80s and their timeline was nearly up to when I watched it which was spooky! Made you wonder how much romanticised tosh was in the earlier episodes as the early-70s-set ones had everone running around in beach buggys with flowers painted on their faces!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Loose_Cannon']Brilliant series, about the only "fun" thing I can remember from 1970s schooling. We saw it from the Edwardians through to the 2nd World War (Daisy Ackerly was the head of the household I think). Once caught it in the 80s and their timeline was nearly up to when I watched it which was spooky! Made you wonder how much romanticised tosh was in the earlier episodes as the early-70s-set ones had everone running around in beach buggys with flowers painted on their faces!
    Wasn't it like that "oop North" in the 1970s? It was for many of us "soft Southerners"

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='helvis']I remember being taken to another class and the great moment of my early schooling 'The wheeling in of the T.V' We watched this every week in primary school would have been around 1978.I also remember having to answer questions on the show afterwards which i loved as i was always so 'attentive' when it came to the television!

Ah, yes, the wheeling out of the school TV! I recall that well!

I remember watching Victorian/Edwardian-set episodes at school c. 1974., in one of those portacabin classrooms that every school seemed to have in those days.

Member Country: UK Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Wasn't it like that "oop North" in the 1970s? It was for many of us "soft Southerners"

Steve

In my living memory painting a flower on your cheek would just earn you a night in A&E around here. Although I do remember nearly being run over by a beach buggy in Berwick on Tweed!

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    One of my early childhood memories is of seeing some hippies at a bus stop on Spring Bank in Hull, and thinking how wonderful and colourful they were...

Liked
    0 times
    I have some of these available on DVD I think.

Liked
    0 times
    I have about 16 episodes of this 1936-1953 i think if anyones still after it.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I saw your item you are looking for on eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace today and it's the complete series.

Enter in the number 220140991812 and you will be taken straight to the item.

Glad to be of help

Eddie

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have any of the How We Used to Live schools series? I have lots to

exchange.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    the only place i've seen it is on VHS on ebay

Liked
    0 times
    Paul. I have PM you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast