Thread: Son of Rambow

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Just saw this new film from the Hammer & Tongs folk.

Full of juicy nostalgia AND Eric Sykes!

The plot concerns two boys attempting to put together a film for the BBC's Screentest program after being inspired by Rambo: First Blood.

Review here:

Son of Rambow

It's almost as good as Bill Forsyth's early stuff (where is he these days?)

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I notice this is getting a release next week (lots of free previews around). I saw it at the LFF last year (with the two boys in attendance) and thought it was absolutely great though the amountof smoking and swearing might mean the target audience can't see it. Very funny and highly recommended. Though did weekday matinees of Yentl really attract full houses back in the day?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Saw the trailer last week and it looks great fun - I'd much sooner see that than any of the real Rambo films.

Liked
    151 times
    Does look good, almost like a teenage Pegg and Frost.

[YOUTUBE]S1Dh6FuG_Ag[/YOUTUBE]

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Mark Kermode gave it a rave review on The Culture Show and had some fun interviewing director Garth Jennings because Kermode made no secret of the fact that he'd slagged off The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Kermode - yeah, cough.

Aside, I think this film looks excellent.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks a great film. The trailer was good and the reviews are excellent so far.

Screen Test. What a great show that was, Michael Rodd. Remember him?

Liked
    0 times
    You know, me and a mate frequently make short films with a semi-pro Canon XL1 camera that I acquired years ago. It's probably one of the most joyful things you can do making films. The laughs you have are great and it's always fun to watch back weeks, months even years later. I can relate to the two kids in this film, even though I'm sadly not a teenager anymore

Senior Member Country: England noglea's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm suprised this film has been getting so many good reviews. I thought it was terrible.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Azanti']Kermode - yeah, cough.

Aside, I think this film looks excellent.

Despite the fact I often disagree with him, I find Kermode and Simon Mayo highly entertaining. When someone else was doing the reviews last week I could have cried with boredom.

Thought Son of Rambow was great, as well. I'm probably the right age for 80s nostalgia.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Lord Brett']Despite the fact I often disagree with him, I find Kermode and Simon Mayo highly entertaining. When someone else was doing the reviews last week I could have cried with boredom.

I like Mark Kermode. He is knowledgeable and entertaining. I don't always agree with what he says but he always has something interesting to say.

Liked
    492 times
    name='noglea']I'm suprised this film has been getting so many good reviews. I thought it was terrible.

See, I was surprised that so many of the review were fairly mediocre. I thought it was absolutely great.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='batman']I like Mark Kermode. He is knowledgeable and entertaining. I don't always agree with what he says but he always has something interesting to say.

And, unlike some, he does his own legwork...I see him in the BFI Library on a regular basis. Don't get his Exorcist fixation though, at all.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I like Mark Kermode. He is knowledgeable and entertaining. I don't always agree with what he says but he always has something interesting to say.

I agree. I imagine that "dumbing down" is the reason that Jonathan Ross, rather than Kermode, was given the BBC job of 'Film Whichever Year It Is'.

Liked
    255 times
    name='penfold'] Don't get his Exorcist fixation though, at all.

We all have our own strange fixations .....

Liked
    492 times
    name='batman']We all have our own strange fixations .....

Speak for yourself

Liked
    255 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Speak for yourself

Liked
    151 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']See, I was surprised that so many of the review were fairly mediocre. I thought it was absolutely great.

I thought it somewhere down the middle, the film never really flows and I'd have preferred to have seen the Rambow scenes to have been realised authentically through a childs eyes (few kids are daft enough to jump out of a tree with an umbrella or have access to a fire hose). I'd have also got more mileage out of Eric Sykes as Rambo... a genuinely surreal sight.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    just caught up with this film - found it very good, and one of the best of the nostalgia for 1970s/1980s that my generation (born circa 1963), no doubt in charge of parts of the media right now, have produced

Liked
    69 times
    Finally saw this film - very different and entertaining! Who was the actor who played the teacher who was snipping away at his beard with some small scissors only to have the scissors up his nose after the attack by the large kite?
    Ta Ta
    Marky B