Thread: The Hit (1984)

Liked
    0 times
    May have been posted here before but this is one of my favourites. Halliwells does not rate it highly but that's neither here nor there.

Great opening music by Eric Clapton, Opens at a trial of a South london gang who Terence Stamp has squealed on (One of whom is the late Lenny Peters of Peters and Lee) Stamp has a comfey safe house in Spain but is kidnapped by John Hurt and a young spiv (played by Tim Roth) to be taken to Paris for his come uppance.

Things of course go wrong and this road movie takes a few twists and turns. The performance were great, especially Roth as the delinquent who has a pang of conscience. Some wonderful photography although slightly mystical in parts.

It is a pity that the great Fernando Rey did not have a bigger part or more to say.

Am interested to know what other members who have seen this film think about it or totally disagree with my opinion. I only have it on video and am not sure if it is available on DVD

Richard

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I liked the idea of Tim Roth being a YTS assassin.

Nick

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    It's a while since I saw this excellent movie. I must admit I have no recollection of a "pang of conscience" from Tim Roth.

Liked
    0 times
    Warning: Contains Spoilers

Tim Roth at the end did not want the young girl to be executed by John Hurt however he was shot by the ruthless Hurt. Hurt then decides to allow the girl to live. In turn the young girl recognises Hurt at a crossing checkpoint and is himself shot by a Spanish policeman. (Does that make sense?)

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen this but we've ordered it in. Spoilers never bother me because good films should live beyond single viewings, and should be entertaining regardless of my knowledge of the ending. If they can't withstand second viewings, I usually degrade the film.

SOPHIE'S CHOICE is my rare example, but I'll never see that film again not because it wasn't good - but because her choice is just too hard for me to re-watch. All I have to do is imagine that one scene again, and that's enough.

Story Or CGI? Uh yeah. If ONLY Sophie's Choice was full of thousand-gallon petroleum explosions... uh huh...

Liked
    0 times
    Didnt mean to spoil the end for anyone who has never seen this film but despite that it is well worth seeing, great acting great locations and lovely sun!

Liked
    0 times
    The Director of "The Hit" was Stephen Frears, who recently directed "The Queen" and "Mrs Henderson Presents" he also directed "My Beautiful Laundrette", and "The Van" also many TV productions.

The Hit was also the debut film for Tim Roth.

Unfortunately cannot seem to find it on DVD anywhere although I have an old VHS copy.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I was going to mention this film as I couldn't see it anywhere on the forum.

A minor classic IMO & well worth seeking out if you haven't seen it. I've got it on VHS somewhere.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tim Roth's "Myron" was excellent

It only seems to have had a Region1 DVD release

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    Halliwells does not rate it highly but that's neither here nor there.
    Well, quite. Halliwell's always was pretty much useless for anything produced after the 1960s. The Time Out Film Guide is all you need. This is what it had to say about The Hit (which I haven't seen for years!):

"After ten years meditating on his new life down in Spain, supergrass Willie Parker (Stamp) is rudely awakened by some visitors - two hit men come to take him back to Paris to settle a few scores. But Willie is a changed man, completely unfazed by the imminence of death, and it is the killers whose nerves are stretched on the long road back to 'the hit'. Frears returned here to the big screen thirteen years after Gumshoe and a retreat to the stunting effect of TV; the wide, sunlit plains of Spain seem to have broadened his horizons, allowed a flexing of cinematic muscle, and inspired him to something both exciting and lofty. Hurt is in good vicious form as the shaded hit man; Stamp once more wears a smile like a halo; and the prospect of approaching death is handled without too much metaphysical puffing and blowing. All in all, a very palpable hit."

A rather perfunctory review, I know, and with Roth conspicuous by his absence, but it has reminded me to hunt it down.

Liked
    0 times
    This is one film in particular that rarely seems to get a mention which I think is a shame. It benefits from a very strong cast and has a good mix of understated and obvious violence to dark humour; Hurt nursing his bloodied hand after the kidnapped girl has bitten it and saying, 'She's already eaten.' He plays the part very well.

For those buffs who enjoy watching John Hurt and have not had the chance to see this one it's well worth it.

Shaun

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tim Roth's "Myron" was excellent

It only seems to have had a Region1 DVD release
    It's one of my favorites ever, still I just love Stephen Frears' "work"(haven't seen "Gumshoe" yet !), I had the chance to get the "The Hit" as bonus of a week-end newspaper....the trial (on flash back) is most fun, "...we'll meet again !"

Moon.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Roth got his part after Joe Strummer (The Clash) who had already agreed to appear was persuaded to drop out in favour of his group/musical commitments. Roth was recommended via Strummer after appearing in a TV play as a skinhead (can't recall the title).

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Roth got his part after Joe Strummer (The Clash) who had already agreed to appear was persuaded to drop out in favour of his group/musical commitments. Roth was recommended via Strummer after appearing in a TV play as a skinhead (can't recall the title).
    Made in Britain by Alan Clarke - Made in Britain (1982) (TV)

Quite a debut.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this when it came out on video in the 80's and always remember the shot of the Iron Cross on top of the hill over looking some stunning countryside.

Hurt always planned to shoot Roth as part of covering his own tracks. I liked the way that Stamp's character always pretended not to be bothered about being taken to Paris, and then when he realised Hurt was actually just going to kill him before making his own escape he cried like a baby.