Thread: Spy movie?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a vague recollection of a scene from a spy movie which I'd love to identify. My recollection is that I saw this on UK tv during the 1980s as a child. I could be wrong and it may simply be the product of my imagination but would love to know if this rings a bell with anyone. All I can remember is this: a man (presumably a spy) in a room, removes a postage stamp from a letter to reveal a tiny piece of microfilm. If it wasn't a film, it could be a TV series such as Man in a Suitcase perhaps? Any ideas?

Cheers, John

Liked
    0 times
    I think there's something similar in THE EIGER SANCTION,but with Clint Eastwood in it you'd probably remember.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='John Rossington']I have a vague recollection of a scene from a spy movie which I'd love to identify. My recollection is that I saw this on UK tv during the 1980s as a child. I could be wrong and it may simply be the product of my imagination but would love to know if this rings a bell with anyone. All I can remember is this: a man (presumably a spy) in a room, removes a postage stamp from a letter to reveal a tiny piece of microfilm. If it wasn't a film, it could be a TV series such as Man in a Suitcase perhaps? Any ideas?

Cheers, John
    I think it's a device that's been used in quite a few films & TV series.

Do you have any more clues?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    S*P*Y*S with Elliot Gould and Donald Sutherland was one such movie.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    That's how 'Assignment K' Starts which the spy who's cover is children's toys, having microfilm hidden in toys and under stamps. It set mainly in Switzerland and the spy has a girlfriend who is an enemy agent.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    As Steve Crook says, that device has been used in umpteen films and TV spy series, Im betting the idea was pinched from a 1945 docu-drama called "The House on 92nd Street" which gives the game away about many of the FBIs secret methods including the micro film/ postage stamp. Lloyd Nolan stars and J. Edgar Hoover makes an appearance as himself. Probably not that movie you were thinking of though.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Could it be Charade (1963) - the stamps and everything? Always worth watching, even if it isn't the one.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    name='Rowdon']Could it be Charade (1963) - the stamps and everything? Always worth watching, even if it isn't the one.

I don't think there is micro film under the stamp in that film though the twist concerns missing money which several villains are after which has been converted into a single valuable stamp. As you say ,it is a great movie though.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    name='christoph404']I don't think there is micro film under the stamp in that film though the twist concerns missing money which several villains are after which has been converted into a single valuable stamp. As you say ,it is a great movie though.

Ah ... I was trying to get at that without actually saying it! Still, that 'twist' isn't what matters in the film, especially since there are so many... the style and wit are the keys, I think.

Personally i love the bit where a dead man is seen to have written a surname on the carpet as he died, and the surname is written in absolutely regular, precise lettering. Love it.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    There is a scene in the 1966 film Arabesque starring Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren where they are driving along in a car and it is raining and Gregory Peck removes a Postage Stamp from a letter revealing a tiny piece of microfilm underneath.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    Imagine doing that now and trusting the letter won't get lost in the mail.

Liked
    0 times
    Can't trust no-one - not even the postman!

But the film plot 'under the stamp' is used in so many films!

Who was in it?

What was it about?

Senior Member Country: UK Big Figure's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    This featured in a British TV series in the 1970s, in the title sequence. Can't remember the name, but it was something like 'Spytrap' or 'Spycathcer', something like that.

Liked
    0 times
    'Spytrap' was a TV series, BBC I think?

Liked
    0 times
    Just notes, Big Figure:

'Spytrap' 1972-5 6 x 25m Counter-espionage BBC WW2

'Spycatcher' BBC 1959-61 24 x 25m both WW2

Can you remember anything else??

Senior Member Country: UK Big Figure's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    It's "Spytrap" I was thinking of.

More details here: Action TV Online - Spy Trap episode guide

I seem to remember it being a contemporary series though, not WW2.

The title sequence featured several very quick shots of actions that appeared in the series (a bit like Mission Impossible, but not episode specific). So there'd be very quick snippets of someone picking up a phone, someone retrieving a hidden tape recorder etc ........ and someone pulling back a postage stamp to reveal a microdot.

Hope this makes sense.