Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I was rather surprised that this BBC film from the late seventies hadn't already turned up in this forum. It was an adaptation by Leslie Megahey (who wrote and directed) of a Sheridan Le Fanu ghost story, which purported to explain the genesis of a (real) painting by the seventeenth-century Dutch painter Schalken.

If I remember the plot correctly, the young Schalken is in love with the beautiful daughter of his master Gerrit Dou, but the miserly Dou marries her to a rich old man (John Justin, shockingly different from his Prince in The Thief of Baghdad). Schalken throws himself into his work, becoming quite successful, and finally meets up with Dou's daughter again, in what turns out to be a very spooky scene indeed. It also benefits from a narration by that great friend of the ghost story, Charles Gray. Friends of mine who saw this when the BBC showed it (a couple of times, over successive Christmases, some 25 years ago) still vividly remember it. It's been such a long time since I last saw it that it might turn out to be terrible, though I doubt it.

Read more about it on IMDB: Schalken the Painter (1979) (TV). I suppose one would pitch it as "M R James meets Girl with a Pearl Earring"...

In the 1980s Megahey went on to make a very interesting dramadoc trilogy on early 19th-century French painters as well as a Renaissance romp called Cariani and the Courtesans - not a patch on Schalken but quite good fun, as I recall. He also made the "medieval courtroom drama" The Hour of the Pig, with a pre-Darcy Colin Firth.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Hello SJMW (May I call you SJ?)

Pardon me for asking: but are you reviewing it or looking for a copy?

If so, I might be able to help.

regards

Sippog

Liked
    0 times
    (sippog @ Nov 30 2005, 08:07 PM)

Hello SJMW (May I call you SJ?)

Pardon me for asking: but are you reviewing it or looking for a copy?

If so, I might be able to help.

regards

Sippog
    Forgive my previous effusiveness - I'm new to this. (For some reason I thought more information would be useful, and I never seem able to suppress the critic in me...)

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a copy, if you have access to one. What sort of condition is it in?

S

Liked
    0 times
    Hello, just joined. I recorded the repeat of this but there was a bit of atmospherics interfering with reception towards the end. If anyone has got a better copy than mine I'd be interested.

Regards,

Barry

Liked
    4 times
    Yep, I have one- if you send me a PM we can exchange details.

Liked
    0 times
    This is my all time favourite ghost story - I saw it when it was first shown and the images have stayed with me ever since. I'd love to get hold of a copy if it is at all possible.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm trying to find Schalcken the Painter. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of it?

For Omnibus, BBC tx. 23/12/1979, colour, 70 mins

DirectorLeslie Megahey

Production CompaniesBBC, RM

ScreenplayLeslie Megahey

Based on a story bySheridan Le Fanu

PhotographyJohn Hooper

Cast: Jeremy Clyde (Godfried Schalcken); Dou (Maurice Denham); Cheryl Kennedy (Rose); John Justin (Vanderhausen); Charles Gray (narrator); Anthony Sharp (gentleman)

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    By asking me!

Liked
    0 times
    Its also available for download at the moment at the uknova torrent website under "Ghost Stories"

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I can do you a d v d copy to

play region 1 as in the U.S.

Laura1

Liked
    0 times
    I'm having trouble joining Uknova. It seems they limit the number of members.

Liked
    0 times
    I was able to get a copy off uknova. I really appreciate all of the kind offers from the forum members. Thank you all. I’m taking an art history class on Dutch Genre Painters and I think a few of us are going to have a movie night and watch this film. Thanks again!

Maureen

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have a good copy of this?

Please get in touch

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='ajhooper']Does anyone have a good copy of this?

Please get in touch

I have an off-air copy which is about as good as you can get. I will send you a PM.

Liked
    0 times
    :
    name='aphra']I have an off-air copy which is about as good as you can get. I will send you a PM.

I would really like to have a copy of this. Have only just found out the title although the story has 'haunted' me since I saw it. Would it be possible for you to let me have one - will pay costs.

Liked
    0 times
    Dear all

Looking for Schalken the Painter - BBC Ghost Story for Christmas

Thank you

Red Balloon

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I have it -- click on me to send me a Private Message with your email.

Liked
    0 times
    Hello all, newbie here. Been searching for a decent copy of the BBC's Schalken the Pianter for some time. Does someone in here have this? I'll gladly pay all costs for a copy...

And since I have your attention I'm also looking for any of these 'Ghost Story at Christmas' episodes:

1. LOST HEARTS

2. THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS

3. THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER

4. THE ASH TREE

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!!

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='mummy']Hello all, newbie here. Been searching for a decent copy of the BBC's Schalken the Pianter for some time. Does someone in here have this? I'll gladly pay all costs for a copy...

And since I have your attention I'm also looking for any of these 'Ghost Story at Christmas' episodes:

1. LOST HEARTS

2. THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS

3. THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER

4. THE ASH TREE

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!!

I have all these, as well as SCHALKEN. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Best, Aphra

Liked
    0 times
    I've long considered the Omnibus show entitled 'Schalcken the Painter' to be a classic of British TV, but I've yet to see any sign of it on DVD. Similar shows such as 'A Warning to the Curious' and 'Whistle and I'll Come to You' (both based on short stories by M.R. James) are now available, but the real master of the short horror story, J. Sheridan LeFanu has not yet received his due. In my view the excellent 'Schalcken the Painter' should have a DVD treatment. We know BFI has a copy of the show in its archives, so why, oh why is it not available on DVD?

Does anyone know anything about it? Any chance that we'll see this show on DVD in the coming years? I feel it would be a great pity if this brilliant TV play was left to molder in a vault somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast