Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brief Encounter

Liked
    0 times
    My wife and 7 year old have been badgering me for months to go on a short break. I sneakily agreed to a long weekend in the Lakes. I say sneakily as I have always wanted to go on the Brief Encounter locations trail. This will include visits to the refurbished Station, The Hotel where cast stayed, and the bridge (I have'nt told the family yet!).Anyone else done anything similar? Don't worry if its embarrassing you're amongst friends !

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Interesting. No, I haven't done anything similar, but please tell us where all these locations are?

rgds

Rob

PS and when you come back - what was it like now? :)

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Villan:

I say sneakily as I have always wanted to go on the Brief Encounter locations trail. This will include visits to the refurbished Station, The Hotel where cast stayed, and the bridge
    Oh-my-goodness-I-want-to-go-on-that!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    The first stop was at Carnforth Railway Station. (the location for most of the platform shots). I had been there as a nipper and remember it as a run down hole but now with the dedication of groups of enthusiasts (Friends of Carnforth Station)it's come on leaps and bounds. Then it was on to Middle Fell Bridge (OS 285 060) over Langdale Beck at Great Langdale. Finally we stopped over at Low Wood Hotel on the banks of Windermere (the hotel where the cast stayed). There are dedicated Carnforth web sites which give more info. Whilst in the Lakes we also took the opportunity to visit Ulveston the birth place of Stan Laurel. We visited the L&H museum and his house.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    watching it the other day i wondered where they filmed the rowing scene the begining when they set of with that tudor looking bldg behind and that big pipe thing as they set off ??????

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    watching it the other day i wondered where they filmed the rowing scene the begining when they set of with that tudor looking bldg behind and that big pipe thing as they set off ??????
    If it's the part I'm thinking of then it's a place called Middle Fell Bridge, Langdale Beck in the Lake District. That's according to IMDB anyway. It would make sense as they were up that way using Carnforth station for the location shots.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Tony Pendrey@Jun 9 2005, 04:50 PM

If it's the part I'm thinking of then it's a place called Middle Fell Bridge, Langdale Beck in the Lake District. That's according to IMDB anyway. It would make sense as they were up that way using Carnforth station for the location shots.
    OOPS ! No I was wrong. Middle Fell bridge is in the film but it's not the rowing scene. Just watched it again and it looks like any public park boating lake.

I'll keep looking.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Tony Pendrey@Jun 9 2005, 05:13 PM

OOPS ! No I was wrong. Middle Fell bridge is in the film but it's not the rowing scene. Just watched it again and it looks like any public park boating lake.

I'll keep looking.
    Found it ! It's Regents Park. Filmed Straight after the Lake District stuff during a chilly February.

Here is a bit about it.

"The script was opened out so that audiences would see the lovers going to the cinema, together in a rowing boat, taking a drive, lingering over a stone bridge. The 'stone bridge' sequence was the last one filmed in the Lake District, at Middle Fell in Langdale, after the company had already wrapped up at Carnforth. There was a regrettable delay of two days because, being February, the light levels were poor. On the third day, impatient to return south to get on with the boating sequences, which were scheduled to begin on Regent's Park boating lake on 23 February, Lean took a gamble, opened the lens up and filmed on the bridge. Two further locations in the south of England were used to good effect in the film. The fictional town of Milford, where the lovers have tea and go to the pictures, was filmed on the streets of Beaconsfield in Buckinghamshire, and the cinema where they watch Flames of Passion was, in reality, the Metropole in Victoria, London, where 'business as usual' meant that the crew could only gain access to the auditorium after the building emptied, usually at around 10.30 or 11 p.m. each night"

Liked
    69 times
    I didn't see all of it,but a small bridge appeared towards the end - it looked like Surrender Bridge in the Yorkshire Dales.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Jun 10 2005, 01:39 PM

I didn't see all of it,but a small bridge appeared towards the end - it looked like Surrender Bridge in the Yorkshire Dales.

Ta Ta
    That was the afore mentioned Middle Fell Bridge in the Lake District.

Liked
    69 times
    That was the afore mentioned Middle Fell Bridge in the Lake District.

Oke doke

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anybody help by naming the cinema that Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard visit to see FLAMES OF PASSION? There is a shot at the end of this sequence that shows them coming out of the front of what looks like a real cinema, not a studio shot. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Liked
    0 times
    That would be the same sequence with Joyce Grenfell on the Cinema Organ?

Liked
    0 times
    That would be the same sequence with Joyce Grenfell on the Cinema Organ?
    Yes, though I think you will find it was Irene Handl.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    All these years, and I had no idea that was Irene Handl on the organ!

The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations gives the cinema interior location as simply "a picture house in Victoria". The exterior was one of the entrances to Denham Studios, now demolished.

Liked
    0 times
    All these years, and I had no idea that was Irene Handl on the organ!

The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations gives the cinema interior location as simply "a picture house in Victoria". The exterior was one of the entrances to Denham Studios, now demolished.
    Thank you so much Dave. Yes, the interior was the Metropole in Victoria, not the New Victoria (known affectionately as Macfisheries because of all its wonderful underwater Deco motifs). I am so glad to have tracked down the origin of the exterior of the cinema and, of course, it looks just right in hindsight.

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Watched this film for the umpteenth time last night.....

Simply magnificent.......

Liked
    0 times
    Visited Carnforth in Lancashire yesterday to check out Carnforth Station, where Brief Encounter was filmed in 1945.

They've managed to make quite an attraction of it, with a restored Refreshment Room inspired by the film, and a Visitors Centre with an exhibition about the making of the film. They even show the film itself on a continual loop.

First, the underpass, where (if I remember correctly) the two lovers share a kiss:

Then the walkway up to the platforms, and the famous clock:

Then there's the spot where Stanley Holloway crosses the line at the beginning of the movie:

And finally the Refreshment Room:

If the face of the building itself looks a little different, that's because the film used a false front, albeit in the same place.

I spent a good couple hours there, looking at the exhibitions, taking photos, watching snippets of the film (even though I saw it in preparation for my visit) and then having lunch in the Refreshment Room (beautiful freshly made bread!).

It's worth visiting if you're in the area, and you can always combine it with a trip to Downham (where Whistle Down the Wind was filmed), as I did.

Liked
    0 times
    By the way, I'm surprised no one's exploited Oakworth Station, near Keighley (West Yorkshire), in the same way, since The Railway Children was filmed there. There are tourists passing through there on steam trains all the time, as it's on the Keighley and Worth Valley Line.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Excellent photos, Dave. How lucky for us all that Carnforth didn't fall under Dr Beeching's axe in the 1960's, or it would have gone the same way as Cheadle Heath; Burslem and hundreds of other stations and there would be nothing there now to show it ever was a railway station.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast