Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    The League of Gentlemen 1960,Jack Hawkins

Channel 4 Monday 23 April 12.30

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I'd like to make the case for 'League of Gentlemen'. Absolutely class film, great cast lead by the superb Jack Hawkins and Nigel Patrick, good plot and a twist in the tale. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore!

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I'll second that - a formidable mass of British talent in a civilised heist flick. Olly Reed even turns up as a camp drama student !

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    the last I saw of Norman was as a taxi driver in Attenboroughs film of Shadowlands. Good of Dickie to lend a mate a helping hand.
    I'm not sure how much it was a 'Helping Hand' ...Norman Bird was rarely off the TV screens for forty years. More a case of Dickie knowing exactly who will do a good unshowy piece of work in a small but important role.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I'm not sure how much it was a 'Helping Hand' ...Norman Bird was rarely off the TV screens for forty years. More a case of Dickie knowing exactly who will do a good unshowy piece of work in a small but important role.

I liked Norman Bird's performances as the farm hand in Whistle Down The Wind and as the bookshop owner in Victim. He was a brilliant at under playing, a real master.

Bats..

Liked
    0 times
    It is lovely to read so many glowing comments about "League of Gentlemen". It is one of my all-time favourites, ever since I first saw it. I was rather young back then, but still it burned itself forever into my memory and into my heart.

Liked
    0 times
    While Oliver Reed's camp cameo certainly amuses, I'm intrigued by the role Kieron Moore plays. At a time when the Production Code in the USA was still terrified of overt reference to homosexuality, here we have a well-known (and very masculine) actor taking a role that many stars today would still shy away from. The fact that Moore plays it straight (so to speak . . . ), is a victim of blackmail before Victim and is stoic in the face of the odd comment from the others (isn't it Attenborough who has to share a room with him?) struck me as unusually "grown-up", especially with the reversion to stereotype of Reed and his pal.

Has Kieron Moore ever talked about this role (he seems to have vanished off the radar)? Are there any earlier examples of gay characters played for real in British films?

Liked
    7 times
    In the original novel, it was the Nigel Patrick character who was the homosexual....presumably the parts of the script where he calls Hawkins 'Old darling' is a sort of throwback to that....now, what would be interesting would be to find out why that was changed....

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    If you read Bryan Forbes biography he was a friend of Terence Rattigan, the gay playwrite, and was to have been in the original stage production of 'The Deep Blue Sea' when it was a 'gay' play as Hester before Rattigan lost his nerve and re-wrote/regendered it. Forbes appears to have been conscious of the reluctance, in the arts at the time, to tactle the issue of homosexuality head on and 'League of Gentlemen' was probably - I'm sticking my neck out here - the first overt example of it. The film does pre-date 'Victim' commonly cited as the first film to tackle the subject and the blackmail that often went with it but 'League' in fact tackled it earlier. The film is also quite progressive in that the gay character is played by a typically masculine character - muscular, tall and gruff and avoids a gay stereotype.

I had no idea that the film was based on a book and would be interested to read it - abebooks here I come.

As for Kieron Moore as I understand it he got involved in overseas aid and development and left acting. I do know that at the start of his career in the film 'Mine own Executioner' he was regarded as a potential great star in the making but that his wooden performance in 'Anna Kerenina' scuppered his chances and the rest of his career was a disappointment. I would be interested to know what he is doing now - I would presume retired.

Liked
    7 times
    There are three novels I believe; The League of Gentlemen, The Gentlemen Reform and The Gentlemen At Large, from 1958, 61 and 62 respectively. All easily available as 2nd hand paperbacks.

A bit of movie trivia for you meanwhile; in the 1958 original the pulp novel Hyde circulates to the gang prior to the meeting is named as Lionel White's 'Clean Break'...one of the gang recognises the plot from its film version, which he considered quite excellent; Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.......now that's talent spotting....

Liked
    0 times
    I never saw the movie when it was first released, but eventually managed to catch it in the early 1970s on TV. I loved it (who wouldn't !) so when the opportunity arose, I grabbed a copy of the VHS tape many years later (about 1990 ?) here in the USA. The tape I have has been edited to delete some of the scenes... I don't know why... total time cut out is only about 10 minutes, but maddening nonetheless!

It should be illegal to cut scenes from movies when transferring to VHS or DVD !!

Liked
    255 times
    I never saw the movie when it was first released, but eventually managed to catch it in the early 1970s on TV. I loved it (who wouldn't !) so when the opportunity arose, I grabbed a copy of the VHS tape many years later (about 1990 ?) here in the USA. The tape I have has been edited to delete some of the scenes... I don't know why... total time cut out is only about 10 minutes, but maddening nonetheless!

It should be illegal to cut scenes from movies when transferring to VHS or DVD !!

Which scenes were cut?

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Which scenes were cut?
    He doesn't know - they've been cut

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    point taken,however, this was Cinema and not tv, this was normans first film role for 11 years, hence my comment about dickie

Liked
    0 times
    Batman & Clitheroe Kid - I remember the scenes from the first time I saw the movie in the UK (early 1970s.)

My US copy has the following scenes cut out (as far as I can remember):

1) Some of the training and planning that took place in the cellar of the big house that the team uses. About 30 seconds remains...pretty useless...

2) Some of the scenes of the actual robbery...

3) Some of the Nannette Newman scenes... especially the one with her in the bath (predictable cut I guess! And equally predictable that I'd remember it!!)

4) Some of the night before the robbery.

HOWEVER, I happened to be talking to a friend of mine in Vancouver over the weekend. We got onto the subject of copying VHS tapes to DVDs and then I remembered that he has a number of old British movies that he never watches. He has an original old copy of LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN that he promised to copy onto a DVD for me....

Stay tuned!

Liked
    0 times
    oh...one more:

I vaguely remember Norman Rossington somewhere in the army camp that was raided.... but he doesn't appear anywhere on my US copy except in the credits!

Liked
    255 times
    oh...one more:

I vaguely remember Norman Rossington somewhere in the army camp that was raided.... but he doesn't appear anywhere on my US copy except in the credits!

Sounds like the sort of cuts they used to make (and still do sometimes) to fit in with TV schedules.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Forbes was probably consious of the reluctance, in the arts at the time, to tactle the issue of homosexuality head on and 'League of Gentlemen' was probably - I'm sticking my neck out here - the first overt example of it. The film does pre-date 'Victim' commonly cited as the first film to tackle the subject and the blackmail that often went with it but 'League' in fact tackled it earlier.
    The gay issue was a small part of LOG whereas it was what drove the plot of Victim along. There were also two films that predate both LOG and Victim, that focused on the life and trials of Oscar Wilde. I haven't seen either so I don't know how they handle the subject.

Liked
    151 times
    oh...one more:

Wasn't Rossington roadside pretending to repair the car engine when the RAC rider pulls up? Think his may have been one of the dodgy Oirish accents.

Liked
    0 times
    Come Ed, Shake!

I think you are right DB7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast