Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    The gay issue was a small part of LOG whereas it was what drove the plot of Victim along. There were also two films that predate both LOG and Victim, that focused on the life and trials of Oscar Wilde. I haven't seen either so I don't know how they handle the subject.
    I saw an old biography of Oscar Wilde (circa 1952 ??) with Robert Morley badly cast in the title role. It was quite good despite the miscasting - passed no judgments and delved into the trial and legal process (and the punishments!) in detail.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I saw an old biography of Oscar Wilde (circa 1952 ??) with Robert Morley badly cast in the title role. It was quite good despite the miscasting - passed no judgments and delved into the trial and legal process (and the punishments!) in detail.
    The Peter Finch version was similarly objective, with a better lead actor too.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Wasn't Rossington roadside pretending to repair the car engine when the RAC rider pulls up? Think his may have been one of the dodgy Oirish accents.
    No, he was the cook sergeant in the mess who has to quickly "improve" the day's menu when an inspection of the food suddenly threatens. He only had a few lines.

The car repairer was Norman Bird, another great character actor.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    No, he was the cook sergeant in the mess who has to quickly "improve" the day's menu when an inspection of the food suddenly threatens. He only had a few lines.

The car repairer was Norman Bird, another great character actor.
    You're right and the AA patrol man was an uncredited Bruce Seton.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    2 things about this film.Firstly there is a scene with Norman Rossington discussing the flap that has been caused by the "General's" visit when he actually uses the f word.It comes about half way through.How on earth did this get past John Trevelyan i wonder.You can hear it for yourself as it is being shown on Channel 4 at 12.30pm on the 23rd April.
    He does not use the F-word but rather something contrived to sound very like it. Can't remember exactly - must have another look (listen?)

Liked
    0 times
    He does not use the F-word but rather something contrived to sound very like it. Can't remember exactly - must have another look (listen?)
    The word is an old army exprestion "mucking". As used in "VON RYONS EXPRESS" when the soldier in hospital tells Col. Ryan to "Muck off" with his view on stopping all escape attemps. Norman Rossington makes it sound more like the F word by using his own Liverpool accent.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The Peter Finch version was similarly objective, with a better lead actor too.

Bats.
    Actually I think Morley was despite being overage for the part was better - bon vivier, wit and dramatist etc he brought things the the part a mere 'actor' couldn't. The Finch movie is a typical example of a scope/colour 'romp' - all dressed up and nowhere to go. The only advantage it has is a genuinely malevolent Bosie unlike John Neville - though that is the fault of Sewell Stokes Script.

The trial scenes are much less melodramatic in Ratoff's version and therefore more affecting for it. Hughes' film is too overblown trying to make a personal tragedy into an 'epic'.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I love to watch these old films and to watch out for background artists of the past. One guy caught my eye in the canteen was Joe Dunn (see IMD who went on to be one of our top stunt men..

And as for Camp Ollie ....('nuff said)

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    Norman Rossington definately uses the f word.Trevelyan must have had a long liquid lunch before watching this film.How it got through i do not know.Other similar examples being stupid fakhir in both OK for Sound and Carry On Up The Khyber.

Liked
    1 times
    I again watched this classic last night. The dialogue is superb, I can and do watch this film time and time again. Bunny Warren's entrance is brilliant, Bryan Forbes is a genius.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    The League of Gentlemen (1960)

More4 Saturday 18th July 2009 1.35-3.50pm

One of my all-time favourite films … definitely my favourite heist film along with The Italian Job (1969).

Major Race: ‘Is that your wife?’

Lt. Col. Hyde: ‘Yes.’

Major Race: ‘Is she dead?’

Lt. Col. Hyde: ‘No, no. I regret to say the bitch is still going strong.’

In a night-time empty street, a manhole cover opens from below and out climbs Lieutenant-Colonel Norman Hyde (Jack Hawkins) in almost a James Bond style opening, immaculately dressed in a dinner suit. He gets into a Rolls-Royce and drives home. There, he prepares seven envelopes, each containing a paperback copy of an American crime novel called The Golden Fleece, half a �5 note and an invitation from ‘Co-operative Removals Limited’ to lunch at the Caf� Royal.

He posts the envelopes to former army officers, each in desperate or humiliating circumstances. They all turn up for the luncheon. After the meal, Hyde dismisses the waiters and introduces himself — having sent unsigned letters. He then hands out the second halves of the �5 notes, and asks for their opinions of the novel which details a robbery committed by an expert team …

I wonder if the idea of driving the three Minis up into the coach in The Italian Job came from the driving of the Hillman Husky up into the large ‘Co-operative Removals’ van in The League of Gentlemen 9 years earlier?

Starring: Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Roger Livesey, Richard Attenborough, Bryan Forbes, Terence Alexander, Norman Bird, Kieron Moore and Nanette Newman … Director: Basil Dearden

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    What a cast list, thanks Mrs P

Mallee

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    It is a favourite of mine and thanks for the tip that its on.

Liked
    7 times
    A brilliant piece of work.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I enjoyed the film very much, hadn't seen it for a good while.

I even liked the slip-up by the continuity announcer at the beginning mis-pronouncing Jack Hawkins as Dawkins.

Liked
    0 times
    Just wondering...

When the 'padre' character Mycroft, played by Roger Livesey is hurridly packing his suitcase near the beginning of the film, it shows a number of 'glamour' magazines [a Harrison Marks one included] with bare breasts on the cover. Now I know these existed, but would that shot have been thought a bit racy in 1960, or had things progressed that far in film by then.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag

Just wondering...

When the 'padre' character Mycroft, played by Roger Livesey is hurridly packing his suitcase near the beginning of the film, it shows a number of 'glamour' magazines [a Harrison Marks one included] with bare breasts on the cover. Now I know these existed, but would that shot have been thought a bit racy in 1960, or had things progressed that far in film by then.
    They were considered "a bit racy" - but that's just the sort of thing a fraudster pretending to be a man of the cloth might have. They're not really on screen long enough to shock anyone, even if you freeze-frame which nobody could do while they were watching it in the cinema. The magazines were just visible long enough for those "in the know" to recognise them

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I love the squaddie scene where he is asked about the meal.

"Very fair - if you like eggs..... they're not a favourite of mine.... etc etc

And "well he bleedin' asked" as he gets patted on the back by his mate.

Liked
    0 times
    One of my all time favourite films even though it was made a long long time before I was born. Shown twice in one week and I have to admit I watched it both times even though I have it on DVD!

I think I must have too much time on my hands!

Thanks for the cover photo mrs_emma_peel - excellent!

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    For me this is a perfect movie and always a clear favourite of mine. I regard it as one of the best British movies of all time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast