Thread: Which POW film?

Liked
    0 times
    easy one for you. Friend of mine caught a few minutes of a B&W POW film the other day. The only bit he remembers is one Brit saying to another - "What are you smoking in that pipe?" the other replied "Dog-ends mostly". He also thought one of the actors looked like Jack Warner. It all rings a bell to me but can't remember which film it is.

Thanks Chaps

Ben

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The Captive Heart (1946)

Possibly the best British POW film.

D

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Wonderful film, and perceptively makes the point that it wasn't only the POW's that were "prisoners".

Michael Redgrave reading the letters from "home" in the POW hut with that voice - just fabulous.

The only weak point for me was the casting of Rachel Kempson as Mrs Mitchell - too stiff, even by the standards of behaviour of the times.

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you gentleman, I told him i'd have a reply by lunch time. I haven't seen it for years now - great film.

Ben

Liked
    0 times
    Sam Kydd has a small part in "THE CAPTIVE HEART". He spent WWII as a POW and wrote a book called "FOR YOU THE WAR IS OVER". He had a real hard time of it which must have made him laugh at the hardships they suffered in the film. The film camp was like Butlins to the squalor and brutality he endured as a POW.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rob Compton']Wonderful film, and perceptively makes the point that it wasn't only the POW's that were "prisoners".

Michael Redgrave reading the letters from "home" in the POW hut with that voice - just fabulous.

The only weak point for me was the casting of Rachel Kempson as Mrs Mitchell - too stiff, even by the standards of behaviour of the times.

rgds

Rob

Michael Redgave reading 'For Johnny' in The Way to the Stars - good as well!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Yet another one is added to the list of Should Be Released On DVD, instead of wasting their time colorizing and doing the Pan & Puke re-cuts.