Liked
    0 times
    Just out of interest can anyone tell me what castle was used in the making of this great film?

By the way I am a new member so still finding my way around this excellent site.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Was that Edinburgh Castle or Stirling Castle or a large film set at Shepperton Studios?

Liked
    0 times
    Was that Edinburgh Castle or Stirling Castle or a large film set at Shepperton Studios?
    Stirling Castle -- though you're not supposed to know that. The commanding officer didn't like the portrayal of the regiment in the script and insisted the castle not be named. The interiors were Pinewood, I thought -- but not certain about that.

Liked
    0 times
    JUST A POINT OF INTEREST,THE PIPE BAND SEEN PLAYING ON THE SQUARE WAS FROM THE THEN Ist BATTALION LONDON SCOTTISH REGIMENT,THEY ALSO APPEARED IN THE FILM IDLE ON PARADE WITH ANTHONY NEWLY,BUT HERE IS THE JOKER IN THE PACK THE THEN DRUM MAJORS NAME WAS TED OWEN AND HE WAS FROM WALES,I KNOW THIS AS FACT AS HE TAUGHT ME TO PLAY THE SIDE DRUM WHEN I WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD ,I ALSO SERVED WITH HIM IN THE LONDON SCOTTISH REGIMENT.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    It is uncomfortable to read when you use caps lock.

Liked
    77 times
    JUST A POINT OF INTEREST,THE PIPE BAND SEEN PLAYING ON THE SQUARE WAS FROM THE THEN Ist BATTALION LONDON SCOTTISH REGIMENT,THEY ALSO APPEARED IN THE FILM IDLE ON PARADE WITH ANTHONY NEWLY,BUT HERE IS THE JOKER IN THE PACK THE THEN DRUM MAJORS NAME WAS TED OWEN AND HE WAS FROM WALES,I KNOW THIS AS FACT AS HE TAUGHT ME TO PLAY THE SIDE DRUM WHEN I WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD ,I ALSO SERVED WITH HIM IN THE LONDON SCOTTISH REGIMENT.
    That would make sense that a London based band was used in the film. I have since discovered through further research that practically the whole film was shot on a very large set at Shepperton, including all the exterior castle courtyard scenes etc.Filming was not allowed inside the Castle at all. There is a brief establishing shot of the exterior of Stirling Castle with the opening credits and a brief exterior at the end when Col Sinclair is driven out in the jeep and thats all. None of the cast or crew ventured to Scotland, second unit covered those brief exteriors, all the rest is studio constructed. Its very well done, I come from the Town of Stirling and Im very familiar with the castle, for years I thought it was actually filmed there. If I had a pound for every time Edinburgh Castle is incorrectly credited in print as being the location for the film I could have retired yonks ago. I guess I feel a bit protective toward my home town of Stirling, it is often used for location filming when filmakers are looking for an "old Edinburgh background" Most recently it provided the backdrop for a 2005 film version of "Greyfriars Bobby" with Greg Wise, James Cosmo, Sean Pertwee, Gina McKee and Christopher Lee as the Lord Provost of Edinburgh! Its a not bad film, all filmed within the grounds of Stirling Castle and surrounding streets of Stirling and the "top of the town" graveyard next to the castle doubling for Greyfriars Churchyard. There is a 15 second insert of the real Greyfriars church yard and again even some local newspaper reports of the fillm cited it as being filmed "on location in Edinburgh" !!! grrrrr well yes perhaps 15 seconds worth! The rest is the very interesting and historical Town of Stirling!!..

Liked
    77 times
    Just out of interest can anyone tell me what castle was used in the making of this great film?

By the way I am a new member so still finding my way around this excellent site.
    It is often incorrectly credited as being filmed at Edinburgh Castle, no filming took place there. I believe the original book was set at Stirling Castle and director Ronald Neame wanted to film on location there but permission was not given to film inside Stirling Castle after the commander of the military regiment based there took exception to elements of the script, particularly the suicide of the Mills character. The film crew were allowed to use an exterior shot of Stirling Castle at the beginning of the film on the condition that the Castle should not be named in the film and that it should not be instantly recognised as Stirling Castle. So in the opening establishing shot with the credits,we see a view of Stirling Castle but some of the outline of the buildings are disguised with a Matte process which alters the appearance slightly, it is still unmistakeably Stirling Castle though and there is also a brief shot of the exterior of Stirling Castle at the end of the film as Jock Sinclair's jeep drives out of the castle portcullis and down the street with the Guiness character burying his face in his cap. The fact that he is burying his face in his cap is convenient for the second unit who filmed these brief exterior scenes and for the double standing in for Guiness! None of the principal actors went to Scotland or Stirling for any filming, the interior courtyard ,parade ground , ramparts and everything else in the film is a large very convincing exterior set built at Shepperton studios in England. The scene in the film where Jock is walking down the street to go to the pub where he will confront his daughter with the John Fraser character looks like it was filmed in Windsor! I was born and brought up in the town of Stirling and "Tunes of Glory" is one of my favourite films, for years I was convinced it was actually filmed within Stirling Castle, but as I have said,only a brief establishing shot and an end shot by the second unit were filmed there. I must say the rest is very well done and had me fooled for years and I have visited Stirling Castle umpteen times. I think the set designer must have wandered around both Stirling and Edinburgh Castle taking photos and basing his set on an amalgamation of both. Movie magic at its best!

On a different note, the old town of Stirling and its Castle was used extensivley as a location a couple of years ago to evoke old Edinburgh in a film version of "Greyfriars Bobby" with Gregg Wise, James Cosmo, and Christopher Lee as the Lord Provost!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='christoph404']It is often incorrectly credited as being filmed at Edinburgh Castle, no filming took place there. I believe the original book was set at Stirling Castle and director Ronald Neame wanted to film on location there but permission was not given to film inside Stirling Castle after the commander of the military regiment based there took exception to elements of the script, particularly the suicide of the Mills character. The film crew were allowed to use an exterior shot of Stirling Castle at the beginning of the film on the condition that the Castle should not be named in the film and that it should not be instantly recognised as Stirling Castle. So in the opening establishing shot with the credits,we see a view of Stirling Castle but some of the outline of the buildings are disguised with a Matte process which alters the appearance slightly, it is still unmistakeably Stirling Castle though and there is also a brief shot of the exterior of Stirling Castle at the end of the film as Jock Sinclair's jeep drives out of the castle portcullis and down the street with the Guiness character burying his face in his cap. The fact that he is burying his face in his cap is convenient for the second unit who filmed these brief exterior scenes and for the double standing in for Guiness! None of the principal actors went to Scotland or Stirling for any filming, the interior courtyard ,parade ground , ramparts and everything else in the film is a large very convincing exterior set built at Shepperton studios in England. The scene in the film where Jock is walking down the street to go to the pub where he will confront his daughter with the John Fraser character looks like it was filmed in Windsor! I was born and brought up in the town of Stirling and "Tunes of Glory" is one of my favourite films, for years I was convinced it was actually filmed within Stirling Castle, but as I have said,only a brief establishing shot and an end shot by the second unit were filmed there. I must say the rest is very well done and had me fooled for years and I have visited Stirling Castle umpteen times. I think the set designer must have wandered around both Stirling and Edinburgh Castle taking photos and basing his set on an amalgamation of both. Movie magic at its best!

On a different note, the old town of Stirling and its Castle was used extensivley as a location a couple of years ago to evoke old Edinburgh in a film version of "Greyfriars Bobby" with Gregg Wise, James Cosmo, and Christopher Lee as the Lord Provost!

Very interesting and informative comments, thanks you very much.

Liked
    0 times
    It is true to say that the design of the built sets for Tunes of Glory was based on architectural features of Stirling Castle and also that none of the sets built accurately reproduced any part of the castle. For example there is no level parade ground as shown in the film.

Even the opening shot of Susan Hampshire walking up to the castle is not actually of Stirling Castle. While the building in the background appears to be Stirling Castle and is obviously based on it, close examination shows that it incorporates a circular castellated tower to the left (as you look at it) and a long low building to the right - neither of which exist at the actual castle. Also the main facade is much higher than the real building.

Presumably this was a matte painting.

Liked
    77 times
    It is true to say that the design of the built sets for Tunes of Glory was based on architectural features of Stirling Castle and also that none of the sets built accurately reproduced any part of the castle. For example there is no level parade ground as shown in the film.

Even the opening shot of Susan Hampshire walking up to the castle is not actually of Stirling Castle. While the building in the background appears to be Stirling Castle and is obviously based on it, close examination shows that it incorporates a circular castellated tower to the left (as you look at it) and a long low building to the right - neither of which exist at the actual castle. Also the main facade is much higher than the real building.

Presumably this was a matte painting.
    It was Susannah York rather than Susan Hampshire remember You are right about the exterior being disguised with a matte painting which slightly alters the appearance of the outside of Stirling Castle. The view of the Susannah York character walking away from the camera and towards the castle in the opening scenes was filmed on location there, I would imagine a double doing the honours wearing the same costume. The Commander of Stirling Castle granted permission for some exterior shots on the proviso that the Castle should not be instantly recognisable, hence the matte painting. It's still instantly recognisable to me! I think the set designer might have visited Edinburgh Castle as well using aspects of its architecture as well as Stirling's. There is a fairly large courtyard within Stirling castle, its on a slight slope but almost as big as the parade ground featured in the film, I guess that feature was used as a reference for the set. Some aspects of the set are very similar to the layout of the real castle, for example as you come through the portcullis there is indeed a little gate building to the right where Angus lennie is lambasted for making tea. As you look out from the portcullis there is a statue of Robert The Bruce which is represented in the film though he is facing the wrong way!

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks christoph404 for the correction re Susannah York.

I think, between us, we now have everything sorted out!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Thanks for the information and the insights, Chris404 and DSB - I just saw this for the first time and I'm interested in how and where it was made. The outstanding Criterion DVD has plenty of detail, and this adds to it. It's helpful to get the Scots perspective.

Liked
    1 times
    It was Susannah York rather than Susan Hampshire remember You are right about the exterior being disguised with a matte painting which slightly alters the appearance of the outside of Stirling Castle. The view of the Susannah York character walking away from the camera and towards the castle in the opening scenes was filmed on location there, I would imagine a double doing the honours wearing the same costume. The Commander of Stirling Castle granted permission for some exterior shots on the proviso that the Castle should not be instantly recognisable, hence the matte painting. It's still instantly recognisable to me! I think the set designer might have visited Edinburgh Castle as well using aspects of its architecture as well as Stirling's. There is a fairly large courtyard within Stirling castle, its on a slight slope but almost as big as the parade ground featured in the film, I guess that feature was used as a reference for the set. Some aspects of the set are very similar to the layout of the real castle, for example as you come through the portcullis there is indeed a little gate building to the right where Angus lennie is lambasted for making tea. As you look out from the portcullis there is a statue of Robert The Bruce which is represented in the film though he is facing the wrong way!
    This is all interesting stuff I never knew about, my son was married in Stirling Castle beautiful small chapel in there, going off subject now but did you know that the tower in the mission in Vertigo isnt there at all , it was constructed for the film, the Mission is still standing thought towerless today.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    The tower at the San Juan Batista Mission, where Vertigo was filmed was created by Hitchcock using scale models, matte paintings and trick photography. The mission and it's surrounding grounds have remained virtually untouched since the film was made. It's just like walikng onto the film set and well worth a visit.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain bvs's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice to read all the details here...it is one of my favourite films and I watch it at least once a year !

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember once reading that the barracks in which the book "Tunes of Glory" was set, was based upon the old Queen's Barracks (long demolished and now the site of a police HQ) in Perth. The barracks were the old depot of the Black Watch regiment. The author, James Kennaway, himself served in the Gordon Highlanders but was born and raised in nearby Auchterarder.