Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Many years ago, I think in the mid-late 70s, I remember watching a late night ghost story on TV. It featured a team of psychic investgators in a house where the ghost of (I think) an old pirate/reprobate was doing the haunting. The story focused on the team setting up there equipment with odd things happening from time to time. Finally, the old boy put in an (invisible) appearance and trashed the equipment and (I think) frightened the investigators either to death or out of their minds. I am fairly sure it was on the BBC. For some reason I think Nigel Davenport was in it but I cannot find anything resembling it on his IMDB page. I used to think it was 'The Stone Tape' so I bought that and, although 'The Stone Tape' is excellent, was disappointed to find that it wasn't theone I remember. Does anyone else remember this and can put me out of my misery?

Batty

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

it sounds like it could be "The Legend of Hell House" (1973) which starred Roddy McDowell, Michael Gough (who could be similar to Nigel Davenport)

hope this helps because it's at least 25 years since I saw this film.

all the best

Martin18963

Liked
    255 times
    Nope, bought that one too .... another excellent film though

thanks

batty

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like GHOSTWATCH except for the date, and I'm sure you'd have remembered the presence of Mike Smith, Michale Parkinson, Sarah Greene...

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Could it have been the "Visitations" episode from BBC1's 1979 Series The Omega Factor??

This episode features the team setting up audio & video recording equipment in a haunted house & experiencing strange occurrences.

Liked
    255 times
    Aha .... you may have something there does, sound like it .... i will investigate, thanks.

Batty.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Many years ago, I think in the mid-late 70s, I remember watching a late night ghost story on TV. It featured a team of psychic investgators in a house where the ghost of (I think) an old pirate/reprobate was doing the haunting. The story focused on the team setting up there equipment with odd things happening from time to time. Finally, the old boy put in an (invisible) appearance and trashed the equipment and (I think) frightened the investigators either to death or out of their minds. I am fairly sure it was on the BBC. For some reason I think Nigel Davenport was in it but I cannot find anything resembling it on his IMDB page. I used to think it was 'The Stone Tape' so I bought that and, although 'The Stone Tape' is excellent, was disappointed to find that it wasn't theone I remember. Does anyone else remember this and can put me out of my misery?

Batty

I posted the following, but on 'british tv' not 'british films':

just been reading the thread about best 'horror films', which reminded me of watching a midnight horror on tv At one time there used to a midnight horror programme usually aired on christmas eve. One year it was about a group of 'ghost' hunters who had a special 'machine' set up in the basement of a house. The idea was that the machine picked up sounds from the stone walls of the house. The sounds were supposed to be sounds from the past which had become 'trapped' or captured in the stone. The scary bit was that they released some unsavoury 'things' captured in the stone! What on earth was the programme called - I've never seen it since, but it's all I can remember but the idea of sounds captured in the stone obviously left a lasting impression with me!

I got a reply back to say that this was the stone tapes. As you bought a copy thinking it was something else, would you be prepared to sell me your dvd - or do you want to keep yourself now you've seen it!

V

Liked
    255 times
    hello veel03

sorry but i am very fond of my 'stone tape' dvd .... even though i bought thinking it was something else i think it is excellent and have watched it several times

batty

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']hello veel03

sorry but i am very fond of my 'stone tape' dvd .... even though i bought thinking it was something else i think it is excellent and have watched it several times

batty

no problem! just thought I'd ask. I do want to buy a copy though - where did you find yours?

Liked
    255 times
    i got mine from our local hmv. it's a bfi release and you can get in shops or from online retailers .. or from the bfi online shop. it's a bit pricey (around 15 quid) but it's worth it. You could try ebay to see if anyone is selling it cheaper.

Batty