Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Hello chaps, DMF on tv this Saturday....Any chance of a screen grab with me and the boss man on the Tombola stall....(pretty please)

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Aitch, I will be watching but cant promise a screenshot but I will be looking out for you..... Daddy

Dennis W Fielder

Liked
    51 times
    Thanks ''Dad''

Your son

Aitch,

Liked
    51 times
    Smudge got there for me.....

DMF3j.jpg

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Could you bless us with any anecdotes?

How did this project find you (or you, them)? How much of your time was involved in this project?

What were your expectations going in and how did you view the film upon release?

Were these opinions shared by others in the cast that you may have talked to later?

Was your original performance different than that we see on-screen now? (The cutting room floor, in other words...)

And I promise that, if any of these screen-shots show up with your head Photoshopped onto the head of a crustacean or radioactive insect, it won't be my fault. Well. Probably not. And if I did do something, you can rest assured I'm just practicing before I find something I can taunt Steve Crooks with. Whips and leather, indeed!

Liked
    51 times
    Hi Christine,,

It was just another days work for me as an extra but the director ask me if I would add some add lib lines in the scene as you would if I was a real Tombola man.

Benny Hill once said of me that I could add lib for England..

I had to laugh when I saw the film yesterday at that big soppy hat I was wearing but it was twenty years ago.

(and some did end up on the cutting room floor.)

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    Aitch, did you find that just turning up was all you did, and the AD would maybe call you to do something extra (no pun intended) or did you always sort of have to push to the front as it were? just wondered. Some people I have worked with sit at the back of the green room or the shoot with a book or a crossword, others are always at the side of the camera, or watching the sound people.......which is best?

Liked
    0 times
    Aitch, thanks for those - you can always toss in those for me.

And leave it to Steve to find a way to get me even when I think I've got the pointed stick! Darn darn darn... how was I supposed to know I'd have to spell his name correctly?!!

Liked
    51 times
    Kelp,

Now don't forget I did 32 years in the biz and if you did a good job on a production you'd get invited back on the next one by the A.D.s or even by the director.

I did work on over 800 productions and sometimes you're at the back of the shot.

Next time you look at a crowd scene look at the back of the shot and see if you can spot Aitch going out of the back door..(Someones got to do it)

I was in the biz to get a living to feed my wife and kids which I did and of course if you got to say a line it was a bonus..(and more dosh ).

This next bit is from my web page..year 1986...

DEAD MANS FOLLY…Cast Inc…Peter Ustinov…Jonathan Cecil…

Another film with Tricky Tringham at the helm and giving me all sorts to do..

I end up being the tombola man and try to get Peter Ustinov to spend some money on my stall.. (You had more chance of getting a drink off the man that is allergic to mahogany)

(Remember, he doesn’t like going near the bar when it’s his round).

I get to work many more times with David Tringham and it’s always great fun when he’s your boss. He knows the business inside out.

And as he always says ‘’A happy crew is an overpaid crew’’ (Did he say that, or did I?)

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    Aitch, we've seen 'acting troupes' around some film-makers and other film makers use revolving door of talent. In your years, is it fair to assume you experienced both environments at times - when you fell into a family or a core group of professionals, and then other times, when people on the set may be doing first-time-ever work with each other?

Liked
    51 times
    I remember my first day back in 66 and I felt like an outsider. The more I did the more I learned how to find a camera lens and to help fill up the back of the scene.

I met some great mates and I'm still in touch to this day.

(an extended family)

When production got to trust you with a scene they would bring you nearer camera and perhaps give you more to do and even small parts.

I was an extra that could say lines....Some couldn't.....

I see no ships...Only Hardships....

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    You're still very good at delivering lines, and they always make good reading.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Aitch, thanks for your reply. I have been in the business a long time too, but mainly on the Variety side with some legit thrown in, but I must say you certainly have done your bit matey, and fair play to you. Tell me are you still tempted to do bits? If like me, you find retirement a dirty word, I guess you still enjoy the challenge of the set. Anyway, lovely to hear from you.

kelp