Thread: Gumshoe

Liked
    0 times
    Stephen Frears first feature, excellent cast, Albert Finney, Frank Finlay, Billie Whitelaw, and the man who steals it for me, Fulton MacKay.

This spoof of the hardboiled Chandler detective fiction, centred around a bingo caller/comedian at a Liverpool working man's club, who places an ad in the local rag, offering his services as a P.I., (no divorce work), that leads him into becoming involved in investigating an arms smuggling ring, that plays a little to close to home, is a little gem. good script from Neville Smith.

Time it was released on DVD.

Cheers,

nobby.

Liked
    0 times
    Wasn't it filmed partly in Birkenhead's Hamilton Square?

Liked
    0 times
    I love this film too, for lots of reasons and I too have been waiting for the DVD release - I did however manage to get a copy from TCM

Liked
    0 times
    Gumshoe was on TCM over a year ago and just the once. Luckily I got a copy.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film the other night,the first time since its release.I thought it was a chaotic,confused,ill conceived mess.Consign it back to the vaults for eternity.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A great little film born out of talents working at the BBC at the time, and with a fabulous cast, including a tremendous performance as the villainess by Janice Rule. Billie Whitelaw is the ex-girlfriend still in love with our hero, who stands in the run down surroundings of 70s Liverpool lookijng like she is a ghost of a more glamorous place and time, Frank Finlay the dour and sleazy brother to the hero who has married her, and Albert Finney is just perfect as the eccentric dreamer who is in every scene as our guide and confidente. For those who havent seen it, itsa gem!

Liked
    144 times
    One of my favourite Frears

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I watched this again last night, a great little movie full of witty dialogue and delightful performances. Finney is flawless as the lovable dreamer Eddie Ginley.

'I want to write the Maltese Falcon, record Blue Suede Shoes and play Las Vegas'..

Complete with tatty raincoat, he's Bogart personified, albeit with a dole card.

'It was the sort of place where the Axminster tickled your knees and you had to wear a black tie to take a bath'

My favourite scene is the book shop recreation from the Big Sleep with a neat cameo from Maureen Lipman.

85 minutes of pure magic.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man' timestamp='1284815865' post='475371

I watched this again last night, a great little movie full of witty dialogue and delightful performances. Finney is flawless as the lovable dreamer Eddie Ginley.

'I want to write the Maltese Falcon, record Blue Suede Shoes and play Las Vegas'..

Complete with tatty raincoat, he's Bogart personified, albeit with a dole card.

'It was the sort of place where the Axminster tickled your knees and you had to wear a black tie to take a bath'

My favourite scene is the book shop recreation from the Big Sleep with a neat cameo from Maureen Lipman.

85 minutes of pure magic.

Incidentally did you know the bookshop, the Atlantis, is a real shop in Holburn and is still there today, even with the same sign!

The scene with Wendy Richard and that incredible quick fire dialogue should be recognised as one of the coolest scenes in movie history.