Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello! I'm busy with a linguistic research on the perception process. And I really need English-native speakers, the British. As I don't have an opportunity to visit Britain, I'd like to ask the Englishmen to answer few questions about the film The Queen (2006). English should be your mother-tongue. And you should have seen the film.

Please, write down you gender and age. It would be helpful in analyzing results.

From three personages choose the one that differs most of all by his (her) personal qualities from other two personages. Name this personal quality that distinguishes the first person from the other two persons and name the opposite quality that unites two other persons.

e.g.

person 1 - person 2 - person 3

person 1 and 3 are clever - person 3 is stupid.

person 2 and 3 are serious - person 1 is funny etc.

1.Queen Elisabeth II - prince Philippe (her husband) – prince Charles

2. Queen Elisabeth II - prime-minister Tony Blair – prince Charles

3.prince Philippe –– prince Charles - princess Diana

4.Queen Elisabeth II –– prince Philippe - princess Diana

5.Tony Blair –– princess Diana - Queen Elisabeth II

6.prince Philippe – Tony Blair – princess Diana

7.Tony Blair – prince Charles - princess Diana

8.Queen Elisabeth II – Tony Blair – I (myself)

9. prince Charles - princess Diana – I

10. Tony Blair - prince Charles – I

11. Queen Elisabeth II -– princess Diana - I

12. Mother-Queen – Queen Elisabeth II – I

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll be very gtreatful!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Hello! I'm busy with a linguistic research on the perception process. And I really need English-native speakers, the British. As I don't have an opportunity to visit Britain, I'd like to ask the Englishmen to answer few questions about the film The Queen (2006). English should be your mother-tongue. And you should have seen the film.

Please, write down you gender and age. It would be helpful in analyzing results.

From three personages choose the one that differs most of all by his (her) personal qualities from other two personages. Name this personal quality that distinguishes the first person from the other two persons and name the opposite quality that unites two other persons.

e.g.

person 1 - person 2 - person 3

person 1 and 3 are clever - person 3 is stupid.

person 2 and 3 are serious - person 1 is funny etc.

1. Queen Elisabeth II - prince Philippe (her husband) – prince Charles

2. Queen Elisabeth II - prime-minister Tony Blair – prince Charles

3. prince Philippe –– prince Charles - princess Diana

4. Queen Elisabeth II –– prince Philippe - princess Diana

5. Tony Blair –– princess Diana - Queen Elisabeth II

6. prince Philippe – Tony Blair – princess Diana

7. Tony Blair – prince Charles - princess Diana

8. Queen Elisabeth II – Tony Blair – I (myself)

9. prince Charles - princess Diana – I

10. Tony Blair - prince Charles – I

11. Queen Elisabeth II -– princess Diana - I

12. Mother-Queen – Queen Elisabeth II – I

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll be very gtreatful!!
    The names should be Queen Elizabeth (not Elisabeth), Prince Philip (not Philippe), the Queen Mother (not Mother-Queen)

Do you mean these characters as they are portrayed in the film?

Princess Diana isn't portrayed much in the film, she's dead for most of it. There's hardly any time to be able to judge what her character was like

If you mean those people in real life then it hasn't got anything to do with the film and you start by saying "I'd like to ask ... about the film The Queen (2006)"

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Naming the qualites of many involved is a tad tricky. From 8 is mentions 'myself'.....

Liked
    0 times
    I didn't buy this movie because I thought it would be a little too not my type of film, but I watched it on ITV and loved it. Helen Mirren is excellent and the film is addictive. I'm gonna pick it up soon!

Liked
    0 times
    The Queen (2006)

Diana the 'People's Princess' has died in a car accident in Paris. The Queen (Mirren) and her family decide that for the best, they should remain hidden behind the closed doors of Balmoral Castle. The heartbroken public do not understand and request that the Queen confronts her people. This also puts pressure on newly elected Tony Blair (Sheen), who constantly tries to convince the monarchy to address the public.

In 1997, after the death of Lady Di in a car accident in Paris, the reluctant Queen and The Establishment do not accept to honor the "People's Princess" as a member of the Royal Family. However, the public and the media question the utility of the monarchy and the just-elected Prime Minister Tony Blair advises the Queen to make a public speech mourning the loss of Diana.

The Queen is an intimate behind the scenes glimpse at the interaction between HM Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Tony Blair during their struggle, following the death of Diana, to reach a compromise between what was a private tragedy for the Royal family and the public's demand for an overt display of mourning.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Funny this should pop back up as I watched this film again last night.

It's a highly unsympathetic portrayal of the Royal household. Out of touch, over-priviledged and with an over-inflated sense of entitlement. If a marauding band of revolutionaries had broken into the palace and taken out Phil, I for one, would have cheered.

I thought the stag analogy was a bit 'meh'.

Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen were terrific.

I don't know that they could have included more on Di. Or should have, for that matter. Enough has aready been said. We ALL know her story. It was a snapshot of a short window of time.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
    Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen were terrific.
    As was Sylvia Syms as the Queen Mum

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought it was excellent. Those that worked in the royal household said it was the most accurate depiction that they had seen in a long while.

The film did not go straight to DVD, it was in the cinema for ages, the short release gap for the DVD tied into a number of factors, not least of which was capitalising on the award nominations that conincided with the DVD release date. It was one of the biggest selling DVD's of the year.

Liked
    0 times
    This film literally blew my socks off. It deserved every award that it won and if not more. This shows to true power and quality of british films.

Liked
    0 times
    Not least because it features Helen Mirren in the role of her career...

One of the things I like about British films is that they don't feel the need to falsely aggrandise (or denigrate) historical characters as Hollywood features frequently do.

Egraphic.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I know that Cherie Blair definitely watched it - she said she thought the portrayal of her was the most accurate she had seen and would be happy to have Helen McCrory take on the role again.

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    on itv now, love this film brilliant

Tony Blair walking around in a Newcastle top with Blair 10 on the back , quote from Alister Campbell, "wonder if she (Queen) greased the brakes lol
    Last edited by Dadwasinflame; 24-12-10 at 04:34 PM.

Senior Member Country: England popeye's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't watch it this time round but have in the past, after moaning to my wife (who wanted to watch it in the first place) that i hate this type of film, i must admit i throughly enjoy'd it, Helen Mirrien was teriffic as the queen and it was good to see some of what goes on behind the scenes in government, i do remember our old mate Gordon getting a good snubbing by blair

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Every time I see this film mentioned, I remember that Helen Mirren was invited to see the Queen after its success, and declined. Interesting, I thought.

Senior Member Country: Japan
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Every time I see this film mentioned, I remember that Helen Mirren was invited to see the Queen after its success, and declined. Interesting, I thought.
    Apparently she had to decline because she had work booked. She did express a greater sympathy for the Queen after playing her, and in any case, if she was that anti-establishment, she would never have agreed to being made a Dame.

The only part of the film that jarred on me was the attempted symbolism involving the shot stag. It just didn't fit with the realism of the rest of the film.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    She had probably seen it loads of other times already. The star of a film declining to attend one screening isn't really news. She had probably been doing the rounds promoting it for the previous 6 months or a year and was probably getting fed up with seeing it

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    She had probably seen it loads of other times already. The star of a film declining to attend one screening isn't really news. She had probably been doing the rounds promoting it for the previous 6 months or a year and was probably getting fed up with seeing it

Steve
    I walked into that one.

But then I stayed, because the scenery was nice.

Good one.

Liked
    144 times
    And after having seen him in Babe and L.A Confidential, it confirms that James Cromwell is a great actor

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Watched the first half last again night my favourite line is Alaistair Campbell walking into Blair's office after a frustrating time organising the funeral belLowing "Flipping heck"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast