Liked
    0 times
    Have just received the latest addition to The Alfred Hitchcock Collection on French (region 2 PAL) DVD. The disc has a stunning new transfer of the English version of Waltzes From Vienna as well as the French version (Le Chant Du Danube). The film featured Jessie Matthews in an early role and was released by Gaumont in 1934. This print includes the original BBFC card, only downside are the non-removable French sub titles throughout. Really nice to see this 'missing' film restored instead of the old French language 'bootleg' that has been around for years. The second feature is (yet another) version of Hitchcocks 1927 Gainsborough silent Downhill with Ivor Novello, the print, once again is in excellent condition, probably the same as the French boxset issued a while ago. The most noticable difference is a new score which is much better than any previous versions. Downhill made minimal use of intertitles, they are in English with French underlays.

I can absolutely recommend this one and at a bargain price of just under 10 euro you can't go wrong!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Some dvd players have a "remove sub-titles" option on their set up menu, it may be possible to remove the sub-titles that way even if the disc itself does not give you that option,

Best wishes

Mike (MrT)

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I have this DVD - and on my player - the subs are removeable!

Think that this completes my Hitch on DVD collection now, too........

Alistair

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Thank you both for the advise, I will try this again and see if it works on my machine!

Phil

Liked
    22 times
    Hi Phil,

Please could you provide a link to where you can buy the dvd of Waltzes from Vienna? I knew about its release, but it's not listed on Amazon or on Ebay, and I'd like to buy a copy,

Many thanks,

Mike (MrT)

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='MrT']Hi Phil,

Please could you provide a link to where you can buy the dvd of Waltzes from Vienna? I knew about its release, but it's not listed on Amazon or on Ebay, and I'd like to buy a copy,

Many thanks,

Mike (MrT)

Amazon.fr�*: Le chant du danube [inclus Bonus Film Muet "Downhill" -1927-]: DVD: Alfred Hitchcock

Liked
    22 times
    Many thanks, order is in!

MrT

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Mike,

I bought mine from Amazon.Fr as well, they also have the double disc set with 4 of the Hitchcock silents.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks also for the info on the sub titles. You are quite right they are removable by using the dvd player remote, so the disc is even better than I first thought!!

Liked
    22 times
    This disc gets a 10/10 from me, excellent quality of transfers and tremendous value - go ahead and order. But can anybody explain why this has been released in France and not the UK? Do they just want to make life difficult for collectors in the UK?

Mike (MrT):