Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked
    0 times
    Sabu was only thirty-nine when he died. As I recall, he had just gone for a physical and his doctor wished he were as healthy as his patient--and then the former mahout keeled over and died--the next day?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Steve Crook can Leslie or Cleo be singled out on screen , or just part of the crowd ?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Steve Crook can Leslie or Cleo be singled out on screen , or just part of the crowd ?
    Not that anyone's ever spotted - not even them AFAIK

But they assure us that they were there in the crowd

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Literally just back from seeing what I've been told is THE restored print (circa 1987) with the family. My 13 year old got bored, but made it through. My 17 year old liked "parts of it". The three adults all agreed that it dragged in places and was fantastic in others. Everyone loved the ending. I think seeing a silent movie is more work than most of us are used to, but I plan to press on. As the first and last seen says "Happiness is earned".

Liked
    13 times
    Sorry first and last "SCENE".

Liked
    418 times
    Literally just back from seeing what I've been told is THE restored print (circa 1987) with the family. My 13 year old got bored, but made it through. My 17 year old liked "parts of it". The three adults all agreed that it dragged in places and was fantastic in others. Everyone loved the ending. I think seeing a silent movie is more work than most of us are used to, but I plan to press on. As the first and last seen says "Happiness is earned".
    That'd be the 1924 Douglas Fairbanks silent version I presume.

Have you seen the 1940 Technicolor version with Sabu & Conrad Veidt recently? I'd be interested to hear how people think they compare.

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Fairbanks indeed ! In fact the screening was to promote a new biography of Fairbanks, sponsored and/or instigated by The Academy. I could provide more info if anyone is interested.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The best version of The Thief of Baghdad is the 1940 version, even better than the impressive Douglas Fairbanks silent. It's back on youtube, and been there a while, but a bit hidden. If you search Rex Ingrsm like I did, who was brilliant as the genie, it will take you there. I suspect searching Sabu might get you there as well.

I think it is probably the greatest fantasy ever made. Don't tell The Lord of the Rings fanatics or Harry Potter devotees. Just because it manages to tell its story in one movie instead of three or more doesn't make it inferior.

Liked
    418 times
    The best version of The Thief of Baghdad is the 1940 version, even better than the impressive Douglas Fairbanks silent. It's back on youtube, and been there a while, but a bit hidden. If you search Rex Ingrsm like I did, who was brilliant as the genie, it will take you there. I suspect searching Sabu might get you there as well.

I think it is probably the greatest fantasy ever made. Don't tell The Lord of the Rings fanatics or Harry Potter devotees. Just because it manages to tell its story in one movie instead of three or more doesn't make it inferior.
    You have to be careful when you search for things to do with Rex Ingram. You might find the Irish American director instead

Where did you find The Thief of Bagdad (1940) on YouTube? I can only find trailers and the German version Der Dieb von Bagdad

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    it turns out there are now two copies of the 1940 movie now on YouTube. I guess it is okay to post the second one since it is under the original title. The other one is Thief of Baghdad but uses unusual lettering in places so it can't be found under a normal search. This one, unlike the other, starts with the trailer, but the movie begins after it.

Liked
    418 times
    I totally agree. Conrad Veidt is the best ever villain and Sabu is child-like without being childish. The special effects are still better than the ones that can be done now with all the computer technology.

[At the pool]

Princess: Who are you?

Ahmad: Your slave.

Princess: Where have you come from?

Ahmad: From the other side of time, to find you.

Princess: How long have you been searching?

Ahmad: Since time began.

Princess: Now that you've found me, how long will you stay?

Ahmad: To the end of time. For me, there can be no more beauty in the world, than yours.

Princess: For me, there can be no more pleasure in the world, than to please you.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I just found out the copy I posted here has subtitles in a language with a foreign alphabet. The other one has no subtitles. It appears otherwise to be the same print, which looks fine.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    it turns out there are now two copies of the 1940 movie now on YouTube. I guess it is okay to post the second one since it is under the original title. The other one is Thief of Baghdad but uses unusual lettering in places so it can't be found under a normal search. This one, unlike the other, starts with the trailer, but the movie begins after it.

Hi, Will,

Out of curiosity, what's the link to the first video clip from TOB, the one with the unusual lettering to disguise its presence?

Barbara

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Hi, Will,

Out of curiosity, what's the link to the first video clip from TOB, the one with the unusual lettering to disguise its presence?

Barbara
    On second thought, ignore that, Will. I'd like to think of it staying there quietly for a while for viewing.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Why do people upload 4 x 3 ratio films on YouTube in 6 x 3, making everyone look short and fat with broad heads? If a film's worth showing, it's worth showing properly, especially this film, which is one of the greatest films ever made and with one of the finest early scores by the legendary Miklos Rozsa. Anyone who can't see that the images in this upload are distorted in the horizontal plane should see an optician.

BELOW: Image distorted as on YouTube and corrected in its right aspect ratio.

Saturday, August 28th, 2010. Remembering and thinking of Darren Burn on what would have been his 49th birthday.

Liked
    418 times
    Why do people upload 4 x 3 ratio films on YouTube in 6 x 3, making everyone look short and fat with broad heads? If a film's worth showing, it's worth showing properly, especially this film, which is one of the greatest films ever made and with one of the finest early scores by the legendary Miklos Rozsa. Anyone who can't see that the images in this upload are distorted in the horizontal plane should see an optician.

BELOW: Image distorted as on YouTube and corrected in its right aspect ratio.

Only some people make that mistake. This one is also from a YouTube video

Steve

Liked
    98 times

Only some people make that mistake. This one is also from a YouTube video

Steve
    Ah, that's much better, Steve...and clearer, too!

Liked
    418 times

Ah, that's much better, Steve...and clearer, too!
    It's from the Criterion DVD

Steve

Liked
    98 times

It's from the Criterion DVD

Steve
    Yes, I've got that. It's a beautiful transfer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12