Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello everyone I am new to this site, and I have a burning question thats driving me mad for years! I saw this film many years ago and I cannot find out the name.I think it may be British. Its one of those Portmanteau films like trio or quartet, The Dead Of Night etc.The story that sticks in my mind is about a girl who finds a mask at a carnival, she puts it on because she is scarred or she thinks she is. Throughout this story she wont take off this bizarre looking porcelain type mask, in the end she does and guess what she is not ugly at all! The other storys I cant really remember although I think the last one maybe about Hell. Another section could have an Oscar Wilde Title? Does this description ring any bells with anyone, if so please put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Steve, don't you DARE - !

Liked
    0 times
    name='Liah1972']Hello everyone I am new to this site, and I have a burning question thats driving me mad for years! I saw this film many years ago and I cannot find out the name.I think it may be British. Its one of those Portmanteau films like trio or quartet, The Dead Of Night etc.The story that sticks in my mind is about a girl who finds a mask at a carnival, she puts it on because she is scarred or she thinks she is. Throughout this story she wont take off this bizarre looking porcelain type mask, in the end she does and guess what she is not ugly at all! The other storys I cant really remember although I think the last one maybe about Hell. Another section could have an Oscar Wilde Title? Does this description ring any bells with anyone, if so please put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Sorry Liah I can't help with the title, but I do remember the film; I think it was an American film set in Mexico or some such place - sorry!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']Steve, don't you DARE - !

Me? I never said a word

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your replies, sorry I think I posted this in the wrong place originally.I didn't realise there was a seperate forum for identifying films.The mexico connection may be right because I think it may have been a Mardi0Gras setting.

Member Country: Croatia
    Liked
    0 times
    All that crosses my mind in that context is "Flesh and Fantasy". Wrong direction, or somewhat closer to the solution? It is trilogy as well.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes I looked it up your right thanks for that Ljelja .I finally know after all these years

heres a description I found:

SEQUENCE ONE A bitter, unattractive seamstress (Betty Field) hopes a Mardi Gras mask will help her attract the affections of a young student (Robert Cummings). Edgar Barrier appears as the mysterious mask maker. Movie mavens will spot Marjorie Lord as a desperate client and Peter Lawford as an inquisitive Pierrot, both unbilled.

The most intriguing moments in this sequence happens in the first few seconds, when demons are shown pulling a corpse out of the water, and in the last few, when the viewer sees what is in the mask shop window. Mr. Barrier's voice, honed by years of stage and radio experience, is put to good effect.

SEQUENCE TWO A London lawyer (Edward G. Robinson) is told by a celebrated palmist (Thomas Mitchell) that he will commit a murder. Anna Lee appears as Robinson's fiancée; Dame May Whitty as her gossipy godmother. Wonderful Sir C. Aubrey Smith makes the most of his short role as a saintly cleric. Doris Lloyd plays a grieved widow, and Ian Wolfe a librarian, both uncredited.

Based on a short story by Oscar Wilde, this is the film's most compelling episode. The acting is especially good, with Robinson topnotch and Mitchell turning in a canny performance. The special effects, in which Robinson discourses with his own reflection, are executed very nicely. Notice the mistake in the credits when they refer to Sir C. Aubrey Smith's character as the Dean of Chichester rather than the Dean of Norwalk.

SEQUENCE THREE A circus aerialist (Charles Boyer) has a frightening dream in which he sees a beautiful woman (Barbara Stanwyck)-- and then he meets her. Charles Winninger plays the concerned owner of the circus. Clarence Muse appears unbilled as Boyer's attendant.

Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately, I never saw this film. I don't think it's out on DVD. But it happens I have a friend that is a big Eddy G. fan. We were just discussing some of his roles and he talked and talked about this film which was similar to what you described. Glad it was helpful. I'd really like to see it as well. Sounds mefistofelean.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy if anybody's looking for it.

Liked
    0 times
    Could you give us a short "critical" (or otherwise) oversight of the film, Cairns? Is it as good as it sounds? Thanx!

Liked
    0 times
    Yes I would be interested in getting a copy of it.It seems to come up under the title Obessions\six destinies a lot.