Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Digging through a box of films looking for Sooty and Sweep (there's a thread elsewhere about this) I found the first form in which I saw the film. It was cut down to about 15 minutes in black and white with no sound on super 8.

Back in the mid 80s that was home entertainment for those of us who didn't have video recorders.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfleet
    Is that the film with "blue" Barbara Steele ??

Moon.
    That's the one! In some scenes she looks green, in some blue. Sadly, her huge screen presence is largely wasted here.

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfleet
    Is that the film with "blue" Barbara Steele ??

Moon.
    Green most definitely, although depending on the print resolution, grey to turquoise seems a fair description..

Liked
    7 times
    The print screened by the BBC was the standard UK theatrical version (and it exactly the same version as that released by DD Video). It was a poor quality print with visible splices in the opening credits and in the opening scene. The colours were also somewhat washed out. The brief nudity and the 60's party stuff have been intact on every print of this that I've seen (but I haven't seen a US print of it).

There is a much better quality print of this (without the splices or washed-out colours) offered on DVD by EMS in Germany and which can be purchased from Amazon.de. It has an interesting collection of extras including the uncut version of the opening "dream" scene (the BBC showed the version cut by the BBFC which eliminates several shots of the dominatrix wielding the whip, which is why Barbara Steele says "stop" at the beginning) and also two 10m odd super 8 versions of the film.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541
    The print screened by the BBC was the standard UK theatrical version (and it exactly the same version as that released by DD Video). It was a poor quality print with visible splices in the opening credits and in the opening scene. The colours were also somewhat washed out. The brief nudity and the 60's party stuff have been intact on every print of this that I've seen (but I haven't seen a US print of it).

There is a much better quality print of this (without the splices or washed-out colours) offered on DVD by EMS in Germany and which can be purchased from Amazon.de. It has an interesting collection of extras including the uncut version of the opening "dream" scene (the BBC showed the version cut by the BBFC which eliminates several shots of the dominatrix wielding the whip, which is why Barbara Steele says "stop" at the beginning) and also two 10m odd super 8 versions of the film.
    Oh crikey - I'll have to get that. Why is such a rubbish film so irresistible?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brett
    Is it me, or did the version of Curse of the Crimson Altar shown on BBC2 the other night have extra material we haven't seen before in scenes such as the 'wild' party and Mark Eden and Virginia Wetherell's love scene?

Shame no-one at the BBC thought to properly colour balance the rather red looking print.
    My DD DVD is 16x9 but the print is in so so shape as others have noted. I still like some of the scees with Barbara Steele in green skin tone. Very cool looking. Karloff is a hoot with his handyman'driver wearing black shades.

Cheers,

Eric

Liked
    0 times
    I very much enjoyed "Crimson", but like other posters am not quite sure why that's the case. The last scene, for example, made no sense. (Spoiler alert!) If the "witch" had been unjustly condemened--i.e., had no unearthly power--then how could she have transformed herself generations hence into another body? It was logical that her descendant would attempt to avenge the wrong done to her, but to "be" her? That was too much. Still, I thought the movie was quite enjoyable. And Sewell's "House of Mystery" is quite well done; very chilling and atmospheric. But even with it I have a question--or perhaps we're just intended to wonder about it all; did the innocent couple visiting the house have the same fate as the cheating lovers? Some reviews I've read suggest that's the case, but the film itself doesn't really suggest that, nor would be it particularly logical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12