Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 3904
    Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi Ian and welcome to The Forum.

Senior Member Country: Australia screenglued's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, Found this wonderful forum while searching for Clochemerle. Yes, I know it's set in France, but the British do French so well. I get great pleasure from anything that laughs at itself and really means it - Brit Film and TV are the masters of that art.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Stevie Gee here - signed up tonight and enjoying it. Great site.

I love British Films - anything from 'School for Scoundrels' to 'Dead of Night' through to an obscure early 60's murder mystery filmed at Brighton Studios (yes Brighton!)......Also TV especially 60s / 70s / 80s.

For my sins I also co-run (with two others) a new unofficial fansite on the acting career of Cherie Lunghi over at Lunghitude.com

Looking forward to joining in where I can, although time is usually not on my side.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='Stevie Gee']Hi Stevie Gee here - signed up tonight and enjoying it. Great site.

I love British Films - anything from 'School for Scoundrels' to 'Dead of Night' through to an obscure early 60's murder mystery filmed at Brighton Studios (yes Brighton!)......Also TV especially 60s / 70s / 80s.

For my sins I also co-run (with two others) a new unofficial fansite on the acting career of Cherie Lunghi over at Lunghitude.com

Looking forward to joining in where I can, although time is usually not on my side.

Welcome aboard.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi everybody. I'm new here and looking forward to getting into to interesting Brit movie chat.

Now, I wonder if anyone out there can help?

I got married last year and my wife and I had the reception at Oakley Court, Windsor.

It has been suggested that the old Oakley Court was used as the school building.

Now, having been to the place and mooched about it extensively and looked at the films, I can see no resemblence to the building at all. Perhaps the inside shots may have been taken at Oakley but certainly not the oustside of the building.

Even in b&w, the building in the film looks like an old red-brick building.

Even the design of the doorway is different.

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers

Sid

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Sid.

Unfortunately, you've missed out the vital piece of information - the name of the film you saw (or didn't) Oakley Court in.

I'm sure we'll be able to help once we know.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='sidtheranger']Hi everybody. I'm new here and looking forward to getting into to interesting Brit movie chat.

Now, I wonder if anyone out there can help?

I got married last year and my wife and I had the reception at Oakley Court, Windsor.

It has been suggested that the old Oakley Court was used as the school building.

Now, having been to the place and mooched about it extensively and looked at the films, I can see no resemblence to the building at all. Perhaps the inside shots may have been taken at Oakley but certainly not the oustside of the building.

Even in b&w, the building in the film looks like an old red-brick building.

Even the design of the doorway is different.

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers

Sid

What film is it meant to have been used in?

Liked
    0 times
    whoops !!!!

Sorry folks, the films I am talking about are the first St. Trinians - The Belles of St. Trinians and the second film Blue Murder at St.Trinians. These films are out of Shepperton Studios and living not to far from there I am familiar with some of the locations used but cant make out this huge sprawling house, and it somewhat bugs me that all location information available say Oakley Court which was used as an outside shot in the third film Pure Hell..... and may well be used indoors.

I was thinking of contacting Dilys Laye to see if she remembered but to my great sadness i have just found out that dear Dilys passed away in Feb 09........

So there you have it.

Any light anyone could shed would be great.

To get a good look at it, check out the scene in the first film where Joyce Grenfall rides away on a horse with the lino flooring.

Thanks

Liked
    1 times
    I was a Oakley Court last year as part of a guided tour round filming locations and a couple of the attendees reached the same conclusion as you - that it's definitely not Oakley Court. I'll do some asking around and see if it's been discovered where the St. Trinians films were shot.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I look forward to hearing from you on what you discover, as I was thinking the only person left who might remember is dear George Cole, but I have no idea how one would go about contacting him, but if nothing can be found perhaps that is what will have to be done.....

Thank you for your interest and promp reply

Liked
    0 times
    Hello! I am new! I found this site while doing a little research on some of Bill Nighy's older works.

I have always loved British films and television. All of my favorite actors are English, and has caused my interest in their older stuff before they were known around the world.

Living in America, it is a little difficult for me to get my British fix. I rely on the internet and the British Television section at Borders. I am an avid 'Blackadder' and 'Absolutely Fabulous' fan.

Being an animation major, minor in film studies, films and tv are my thing!

I can't wait to see what this place offers in filling my brain with the wit and humor of the Brits!

~Jordan~

Liked
    0 times
    Hello! I am Richard from Lexington, Kentucky, USA. It looks like this will be a great site to compare notes on some of my favorite British movies. I'm a big fan of Alec Guinness, Leslie Howard, Ian Richardson, Powell & Pressburger, and Ealing Studios. I also like more modern stuff, such as Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister, Monty Python, The Darling Buds of May, and All Creatures Great and Small. I'm looking forward to exploring this great site!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    WElcome pirate_gordon and entropy. There's plenty of interesting info here and some interesting people too.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm an American (boo all you want, I'm still here lol!) but my favorite films and shows have always been British.

As a huge horror fan my favorite film of the past decade (or previous one to that frankly) is definitely Dog Soldiers, a masterpiece. That said, I heard reports of a sequel that I'm assuming never got off the ground even though there was a net trailer out there for a while. I hope that if it ever does get off the ground the Brits keep it in house. DS was a PHENOMENAL movie and completely took me by surprise. Prior to DS I'd only seen Ginger Snaps which had given me any joy in the horror genre in quite some time.

Another huge weakness for me is British comedy. Monty Python NATURALLY topping that list, with their timeless wit and humor you can never get enough of them. I have seen all of their films and own the entire collection they released with all of their Flying Circus episodes. Phenomenal is hardly a strong enough word, and the work they've done independently has equally been refreshing. Yellowbeard is a true classic and a shame that it was the last film for actor/comedian/genius Graham Chapman.

As for TV shows, Are You Being Served? certainly also is right up there. The hilarity of that show is also timeless and I own those episodes as well! I must say you guys still get it right when you make films regardless of genre. I wish Hollywood would go back to making good films, but with Wes Craven killing the horror genre with Scream doubled by the overuse of CGI we can only assume that Hollywood will never get their heads out of their asses and make any more truly phenomenal films.

Favorite author? Why he too is a British horror writer named Brian Lumley. Awesome take on the Vampire genre and Cthulu Mythos all rolled in one.

Keep up the good work across the pond. I look forward to more of your wit, your humor, and your horror! Too bad America is too sensationalized to be of any use to us.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Dischord']I'm an American (boo all you want, I'm still here lol!)

Welcome aboard!

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Dischord!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Dischord']I'm an American (boo all you want, I'm still here lol!)

Boo! You're right, you are still here. Welcome Dischord.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Dischord']I'm an American (boo all you want, I'm still here lol!) but my favorite films and shows have always been British.

I won't be booing you. Welcome aboard.

I'm surprised by just how many Americans find not only Monty Python, but also Benny Hill funny. You couldn't wish to find two clear examples of British humour - one wacky and the other old-fashioned 'end-of-the-pier' humour.

Are You Being Served? is a hoot. I've just been watching the 1977 movie version - not as good as the TV show.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Hi Dischord!

Don't worry, I'm American too and have been here for a little while. Everyone here is really great, friendly and helpful. You will like it here. Welcome aboard! :)

name='EHV_Emmetts']I won't be booing you. Welcome aboard.

I'm surprised by just how many Americans find not only Monty Python, but also Benny Hill funny. You couldn't wish to find two clear examples of British humour - one wacky and the other old-fashioned 'end-of-the-pier' humour.

Are You Being Served? is a hoot. I've just been watching the 1977 movie version - not as good as the TV show.

My father wasn't much into Monty Python (although my brother and I like them) but he was a huge Benny Hill fan. Used to tape his show whenever it was on tv. The one thing I do remember about Benny Hill's show, it wasn't on PBS but shown on independent stations.

Are You Being Served? was always great, too. British comedy has a special place in our hearts. :)

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    name='torinfan']Hi Dischord!

Don't worry, I'm American too and have been here for a little while. Everyone here is really great, friendly and helpful. You will like it here. Welcome aboard! :)

Boo Boo........you come over here and post on our threads.....

welcome Dischord

mallee