Page 14 of 196 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    name='batman']Hello TimR

Sorry, didn't see you sneak in there .... hello too to JJ

Ha! No problem - I just got here! Thanks for the welcome.

As far as I know this forum is open to all .... well, they let me in!

Bats.

*chuckle*

I like your avatar.

Liked
    29 times
    name='harryfielder']A warm welcome to all the new folks

Aitch,

Thanks Harry

Liked
    29 times
    name='J. J.']Bats --

Thanks! You know they just finished filming the new "Batman" movie here: Christian Bale sightings left and right; no one able to take Wacker Drive; the "Batlight" suddenly appearing in the night sky...

TimR should feel as though he never left Gotham!

You know, Chicago is a more appropriate setting for Batman than Manhattan.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='TimR']You know, Chicago is a more appropriate setting for Batman than Manhattan.

We've got plenty of old bats here in Norfolk .

Old Bats.

Liked
    29 times
    name='batman']We've got plenty of old bats here in Norfolk .

Old Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Dear TimeR

Welcome to the site and apologies for not saying so earlier, it was very rude to ignore you! I am very new and only joined at the weekend so haven't really got going with all the usual introduction procedure. Glad you love English Films and Alistair Sim was a wonderful comedic actor and very good as Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.

Best Wishes

Maralyn

Liked
    29 times
    name='Maralyn']Dear TimeR

Welcome to the site and apologies for not saying so earlier, it was very rude to ignore you! I am very new and only joined at the weekend so haven't really got going with all the usual introduction procedure. Glad you love English Films and Alistair Sim was a wonderful comedic actor and very good as Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.

Best Wishes

Maralyn

Thanks for the gracious welcome, and no apologies necessary! I only just arrived.

Yes, Alistair Sim was a wonderful actor. I just saw The Belles of St. Trinian's for the first time (oddly enough, it is difficult to find in the US - although The Happiest Days of Your Life is easily found).

Liked
    0 times
    Dear TimeR

It's good to know that the films you mentioned are available outside of Britain. It's easy to assume that because they are very British, they are not always appealing to our friends abroad. More of these old films are cropping up now on DVD as more people see their potential and a jolly good thing!

You mentioned Things to Come which was on tv over the weekend. I was able to get a better recording than the one I've had for some years. It tends not to get shown very often on tv here. I'm a Derrick de Marney fan and he plays Richard Gordon the pilot in it. Not one of his best roles I don't think, but one has to take the whole film as it is. Ignoring sometimes wooden acting from the cast, it's a masterpiece for special effects storyline especially pre the London Blitz. It must have been truly horrifying for people who first saw it when, but a few years after, wings really were winging their way across the world! Years ago I was at a concert and sitting in the opposite aisle to me was Sir Arthur Bliss who wrote the very powerful music. I was able to get his autograph on my concert programme. He was very charming and already in his eighties.

Some of my favourites are James Mason, Patricia Roc, Ann Todd, Alistair Sim, John Mills, Leslie Howard and especially Eric Portman (49th Parallel, A Canterbury Tale etc.)

Best Wishes

Maralyn

Liked
    29 times
    name='Maralyn']Dear TimeR

It's good to know that the films you mentioned are available outside of Britain. It's easy to assume that because they are very British, they are not always appealing to our friends abroad. More of these old films are cropping up now on DVD as more people see their potential and a jolly good thing!

Yes, many of these films are now available to a much wider audience. They become known through word-of-mouth, or because a particular British film is popular: this, in turn, leads to others. That is especially true for comedies.

For example, when I was growing up, Monty Python had a large following in the US. This was the introduction (perhaps unlikely!) for a lot of us to the specifically British style of comedy. The movies of Alec Guinness made during the 40s and 50s are shown on television quite often, even today, as are Peter Sellers movies (I must admit he was never a favorite of mine).

The less well-known Ealing comedies are also shown on certain television stations, although not that often. "Passport to Pimlico" is one of them. It is hard to find, but it does appear.

Usually those who enjoy one film made by Alistair Sim or Margaret Rutherford or Joyce Grenfell (funny woman) start looking for others.

You mentioned Things to Come which was on tv over the weekend. I was able to get a better recording than the one I've had for some years. It tends not to get shown very often on tv here. I'm a Derrick de Marney fan and he plays Richard Gordon the pilot in it. Not one of his best roles I don't think, but one has to take the whole film as it is. Ignoring sometimes wooden acting from the cast, it's a masterpiece for special effects storyline especially pre the London Blitz. It must have been truly horrifying for people who first saw it when, but a few years after, wings really were winging their way across the world! Years ago I was at a concert and sitting in the opposite aisle to me was Sir Arthur Bliss who wrote the very powerful music. I was able to get his autograph on my concert programme. He was very charming and already in his eighties.

Interesting! I quite agree regarding "Things to Come". It is an unexpectedly powerful film. There is one image that has stayed with me: the fleets of bombers, row upon row, at the beginning of the film - when the war is just beginning.

It is strange to watch a film that predicts a coming attack on London - only four years before it actually happened! As you say, for those in Britain at the time it must have been horrifying. The music is striking.

"Things to Come" used to be shown on television station in Boston several times each year. That is where I first saw "The Man Who Could Work Miracles".

Some of my favourites are James Mason, Patricia Roc, Ann Todd, Alistair Sim, John Mills, Leslie Howard and especially Eric Portman (49th Parallel, A Canterbury Tale etc.)

"A Canterbury Tale" - that is a family favorite of ours. Now, that one is almost unknown in the US. I don't think I have met any other American who has seen it.

"The 49th Parallel" is superb. The war related films are generally much better known here, whether they were made during or after the war. There is a "Classic Movie" station in the US that shows this film every two or three months, and has for years.

I do not know Patricia Roc! I am very familiar with all of the other actors you mention.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone

It's the obligatory first post I'm afraid...

I am a Doctor - and indeed a Doctor of Amicus. I did my PhD (at Sussex if anyone out there knows me) on Amicus's films - one of these days I'll try and knock it into shape as a book (but have been saying the same for the past 2 years) - so it will surprise no-one that my main interest is in British horror. Particular favourites: Scream and Scream Again, From Beyond the Grave, Dracula, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Wicker Man, Witchfinder General.

Also the SF films of late 50s/60s - Village of the Damned, Quatermass, X The Unknown, Invasion, Abominable Snowman, The Damned.

And a fan of Ealing, Powell & Pressburger, Loach - frankly most of it when push comes to shove.

Oh well - that's about it for now. I'm sure I'll be a reasonably active member round here...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A belated 'Hi' to TimR... Welcome to the Forum

And...

Hi Dr Amicus... Welcome to the Forum

Liked
    151 times
    Welcome Doctor, but are you a medical practitioner? I think I'd be rather freaked out if my GP said "Ah I've seen a hand like this before, twas in the Quatermass Xperiment!"

As I'm sure you know there's a good Amicus softback book out there. I'm sure I've got it buried somewhere round the house.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm a proper doctor as I have a Doctorate - all these Medical chappies are allowed to call themselves 'doctor' as a sign of their profession.

On the other hand, most of them are probably rather more socially useful...

Liked
    4 times
    name='Maralyn']

You mentioned Things to Come which was on tv over the weekend. I was able to get a better recording than the one I've had for some years. It tends not to get shown very often on tv here.

Maralyn - was it? I must have missed it - what channel? One of my favourite films and I agree with your views on it! Also, what a fabulous opportunity, to meet Sir Arthur Bliss - thanks for sharing that anecdote!

rgds

Rob

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='Dr Amicus']I'm a proper doctor as I have a Doctorate - all these Medical chappies are allowed to call themselves 'doctor' as a sign of their profession.

I'd say that a broad knowledge of Amicus and British horror is equally valid

Welcome all, BTW...

Smudge

Liked
    255 times
    Welcome Dr Amicus. I am intrigued to know how one gets to do a course on a subject such as Amicus Films. I mean, who creates the course content and sets the assessment criteria etc?

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']Welcome Doctor, but are you a medical practitioner?

If he was a Medical Practitioner with a Ph.D... he would not be called 'Doctor'. The Ph.D. will be a non medical one for him to have the title 'Dr'.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Dr Amicus']I'm a proper doctor as I have a Doctorate - all these Medical chappies are allowed to call themselves 'doctor' as a sign of their profession.

I love the fact that Medical Doctor's get their PH.D. to become a 'Mr'... whereas I became a Mr by simply getting married and leaving my parent's home - lol

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rob Compton']Maralyn - was it? I must have missed it - what channel? One of my favourite films and I agree with your views on it! Also, what a fabulous opportunity, to meet Sir Arthur Bliss - thanks for sharing that anecdote!

'Things to Come' is quite recently available on DVD in digitally restored form... I have it in my collection

It is a two disk set... with some nice special features... I'd have to go down to fetch the DVD to refresh my memory of the features... but I remember I appreciated them

Liked
    255 times
    The only doctors I have met who are known as 'Mr' are surgeons .... all the others are known as 'Dr'.

If I was ever to complete my doctorate .... I'd be a Doctor of Nursing.

Bats.