Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Anyone know the location of the Edwardian corner house with the octagonal corner room?

Bryan Forbes recounted on the DVD that they found it by driving around Wimbledon.

edit:

well I found it...after coming up blank for many years:

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This was on TV yesterday afternoon (but it wasn't wet!) ...at least not here in the UK. What a great movie. And well done to Spinalman (above) for getting the location of the house, 41 Maryatt Road, Merton, Wimbledon - but can anyone explain the location where Richard Ateenborough swaps the child from limo - to - motorbike sidecar occured?

The derelict and overgrown site appears to lie off a main road, and the surrounding area seems spacious and leafy - not heavily populated. The location in the film features overhanging lamplights, and signwriting on the buildings reveals "2/- forecast", leading me to believe this is an old dog track. But where?

Wimbledon is still going I believe, possibly ruling that out... or s this a previous Wimbledon dog track incarnation, I wonder?

Yours, intrigued.

Liked
    2 times
    http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.44....4&r=0&src=msl

is the location, the former Staines Greyhound and Speedway Racetrack on Wrasbury Road was demolished to make way for the M25

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spinalman
    Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

is the location, the former Staines Greyhound and Speedway Racetrack on Wrasbury Road was demolished to make way for the M25

Wow - and it was derelict back in 1964. Thank you for your info

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Great information! I never knew there was a Staines Stadium. From �Pete�s Stock Car Pages� I found these two paragraphs:

�In 1955 racing at Staines was featured in the Paul Carpenter film Stock Car. In 1960 racing at the track featured in a short film Smashing Through made by the Rank Organisation for their Look at Life series. These were the first and last years that racing took place at the venue. The first winner, on Good Friday 1955 was Johnny Brise. The last winner, on 17th June 1960 was Fred Mitchell. Staines was also used as a location in the film 'Seance on a Wet Afternoon'.�

�Like many other stockcar tracks, Staines was principally used for Greyhound Racing. Terry Kates raced dogs at Staines from 1957 until the track closed. He remembers Staines featuring in a Margeret Rutherford film about dog racing. The track was designed with the same dimensions as Wembley, having a four bend distance of 525 yards. Another film that Terry remembers from the same era Once a Jolly Swagman, with Dirk Bogarde and Bill Owen, had footage taken at New Cross�

Liked
    2 times
    Seance is on Film4 at 2.55pm this Tuesday, 20/11/07

The soundtrack, by John Barry is excellent too, available on a John Barry compilation CDs.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spinalman
    Seance is on Film4 at 2.55pm this Tuesday, 20/11/07

The soundtrack, by John Barry is excellent too, available on a John Barry compilation CDs.

I recorded this and watched it last night, fabulous film with some great locations

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this on Film 4 but got fed up with silly advert breaks so just got on with buying the dvd.

Where was the dissused dog track sequence filmed?

Just found it on a previous thread

Liked
    2 times
    http://www.hershamhounds.org.uk/imag...houndTrack.pdf

details exactly where the Stadium was, and what remains... most being under the M25

Liked
    2 times
    Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 21.19.17.jpgHeres the 1945 aerial view

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember it was distinctly recognisable as a former greyhound track from the Staines by pass c1970.

Great film but why oh why did Richard Attenborough have that awful false nose - it looks terrible.

Liked
    2 times
    I believe Richard Attenborough wasn't available for one scene.. driving the bike to the track and that was doubled by Brian Forbes, masked by the helmet and goggles.

Liked
    2 times
    Screen shot 2012-02-08 at 09.20.20.jpg The house seems to have lost some of its charm.