Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a long shot, I would be surprised if anyone could help me out with this one. I saw this film as a child and I'm not clear about the details of it, I also am not sure if it was American or British, but tend to think it might be the latter. The central character was an alcholic with some connection to the church, either her husband or father was a vicar, and she tried to kill herself in his church, with a broken bottle. The actress could have been Kathleen Byron.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Kathleen Byron was married to loony puritanical preacher man/witch hunter Gustav Weil (Peter Cushing) in TWINS OF EVIL (1971): I can't remember a suicide attempt, but there was a lot of churchgoing involved.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Joenoir']This is a long shot, I would be surprised if anyone could help me out with this one. I saw this film as a child and I'm not clear about the details of it, I also am not sure if it was American or British, but tend to think it might be the latter. The central character was an alcholic with some connection to the church, either her husband or father was a vicar, and she tried to kill herself in his church, with a broken bottle. The actress could have been Kathleen Byron.
    Why is it that whenever there's a crazy woman, preferably with some sort of religious connection, everyone thinks of Kathleen Byron?

She was right, Black Narcissus did typecast her, even though it was one of the best roles an actress could have.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']Why is it that whenever there's a crazy woman, preferably with some sort of religious connection, everyone thinks of Kathleen Byron?

She was right, Black Narcissus did typecast her, even though it was one of the best roles an actress could have.

Steve

Kathleen Byron was equally as good as yet another veangeful in woman Madness of the Heart with Max and Margaret Lockwood.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Any ideas, two years on?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Any ideas, four years on?!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    If Euryale doesn't know, nobody does. What difference does it make now anyway?

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Kathleen Byron was equally as good as yet another veangeful in woman Madness of the Heart ...
    She played a griping harpy in a non-film called 'The Gambler and The Lady' (1952). She got second-billing but only appeared on screen for 5 minutes.