Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The 5th edition of Halliwell's Film Guide includes this rather waspish remark from a review by MFB (I have no idea what MFB stands for, but I'm sure that somebody here will know)
    MFB = Monthly Film Bulletin

Their reviews could be waspish

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    A great film! Poitier is one of my fave actors of all-time and this is one of his very best performances imo.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    And Crow Man and Mrs Bucket are in it as well!
    .......and 'Within these walls' Mrs Armitage too!........I seem to have soft spot for Battle-axes

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    .....and 'Within these walls' Mrs Armitage too!........I seem to have soft spot for Battle-axes
    I did enjoy the film.

But the film like so many more I saw in the 60's ad 70's also reminds me of the picture house ( we never called then cinemas ) I saw it in.

To Sir with Love - The Elite( my mother took me),

Run Silent Run Deep- The Palace my gran took me she was sea sick watching it! but said it was worth it ( she fancied Burt)

Zulu The Ritz( my dad took me and I was the one who shouted "Oh no Dad there coming again")

Batman ( the 40;s serial shown as a feature) The Gaumont( my mother offered to by me a toy if Id leave but I insisted on staying to the end)

I just can't see today's multi- plexes creating the same memories the all look the same.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Our particular interest was Christian Roberts, who played Denham, as a family member worked at Jobs Dairy in Hanworth which his family owned. Strange he didn't achieve more in the film industry. His sister, Lavinia, was a big mate of Princess Anne on the equestrian circuit.

Regards,

HG

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    8 times
    Watched this again recently and thought kid who plays Potter looked familiar and finally realised it is Christopher Chittell who plays Eric Pollard in Emmerdale.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Lovely film. Sir Sid rocks!

Liked
    0 times
    I loved the song by lulu

Liked
    0 times
    I love the lulu song to do with the movie

Liked
    0 times
    Please Sir owes a lot to this film, IMHO.

GRAEME
    Please Sir owes a lot to this film, IMHO.
    Obviously and it's often noted in reference works but there is no "official" connection. Another possible influence might be the Max Bygraves starrer Spare the Rod.

Member Country: England Keif Howard's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I had to laugh while listening to Johnny Walker's recent interview with Lulu on the Radio 2 programme 'Sounds of the Seventies'. Johnny was talking to Lulu about the success of the To Sir With Love single and the film in general, amd asked her if she ever got to actually meet Sidney Potier!

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif Howard View Post
    I had to laugh while listening to Johnny Walker's recent interview with Lulu on the Radio 2 programme 'Sounds of the Seventies'. Johnny was talking to Lulu about the success of the To Sir With Love single and the film in general, amd asked her if she ever got to actually meet Sidney Potier!
    Johnny Walker did his research well then!! what a daft thing to ask, I hope Lulu made him feel a berk by reminding him she was actually in the film as well as singing the theme song!

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by homeguard View Post
    Our particular interest was Christian Roberts, who played Denham, as a family member worked at Jobs Dairy in Hanworth which his family owned. Strange he didn't achieve more in the film industry. His sister, Lavinia, was a big mate of Princess Anne on the equestrian circuit.

Regards,

HG
    I was always under the impression that he drifted out of the film industry through his own choice. I know he didn't do many films, but he was always a standout in the few he did.

As for To Sir With Love - loved the film and the book. Yes, the film was sanitized, but to be fair there were things in the book I was happy not to see played out more graphically on the silver screen. And Sidney Poitier was gorgeous!

Thought the song was a bit soppy (and still do) but it fitted well.

Funny how these 'coming of age' films change from generation to generation. To Sir With Love to The Breakfast Club to...what?....Precious?

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
    As for To Sir With Love - loved the film and the book. Yes, the film was sanitized, but to be fair there were things in the book I was happy not to see played out more graphically on the silver screen.
    Goo on do tell Kitty , dont leave it there :-)

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    Goo on do tell Kitty , dont leave it there :-)
    Time to get the book out ofthe library, Arfur! It's a good read - but don't expect sex and violence on a grand scale, just the ickier parts of real live.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
    Time to get the book out ofthe library, Arfur! It's a good read - but don't expect sex and violence on a grand scale, just the ickier parts of real live.
    Thanks Kitty I was not looking for that- honest!
    but a great film nonetheless

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    My all time favourite film.

Member Country: England Keif Howard's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404 View Post
    Johnny Walker did his research well then!! what a daft thing to ask, I hope Lulu made him feel a berk by reminding him she was actually in the film as well as singing the theme song!
    I noted, while listening to the start of Johnny's first 'Sounds of the Seventies' show of 2011, that getting his facts right is not one of his new year resolutions. Right at the top of the show he introduced the Faces song Ooh La La as being by "Rod and the Faces". And as the song finished, he described it as being by "Rodney and the Faces". Well, anyone, who claims to be a Faces fan, as he does, should know that Rod had nothing much to do with that particular song, as he wasn't around when it was recorded. It was, in fact, sung by Ron Wood. Also, Rod's full christian name is not Rodney, it's Roderick!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif Howard View Post
    I noted, while listening to the start of Johnny's first 'Sounds of the Seventies' show of 2011, that getting his facts right is not one of his new year resolutions. Right at the top of the show he introduced the Faces song Ooh La La as being by "Rod and the Faces". And as the song finished, he described it as being by "Rodney and the Faces". Well, anyone, who claims to be a Faces fan, as he does, should know that Rod had nothing much to do with that particular song, as he wasn't around when it was recorded. It was, in fact, sung by Ron Wood. Also, Rod's full christian name is not Rodney, it's Roderick!
    Johnny Walker is a DJ. Smashie and Nicey wasn't that much of an exaggeration
    The DJs who actually do know much about their subject (or anything else) can be counted on the fingers of one hand, or of one finger

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast