Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    To Sir, with Love (1967)

this was a classic movie starring lulu and sydey potier I only saw it once and thought it was great.

what do you all think of it?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Loved that movie too along with "spring and port wine" and "go for a take" and "Up the Junction"

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    My all time favourite film - not too challenging so you can curl up with it on a rainy Sunday and it's got a massive feel good factor.

The kids had comparatively little instruction during the making of this film - with the exception of Judy Geeson I don't think any of them had ever really acted before. They wore their own clothes, did their own hair and make up and were generally asked to put as much of themselves into the film as possible. They also had a great off screen relationship with Poitier, much like between Thackary and the students - he used to sit talking to them and 'educating' them between takes.

Both of these things make the film feel very real and, although by today's standards the students were pretty tame, it does seem to have an effect on anyone who sees it. Certainly it went down very well when I first saw it in English class in the '80's.

The only thing I can't bear about it is Lulu or that song.. eek!

Liked
    5 times
    I loved the song and still do

Liked
    0 times
    LOL I think it's just Lulu I can't bear to be honest! Please don't blush, each to her own!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a fine story, well-done and both Lulu and the studio was lucky to find such a quality film to stick her in. I've never seen TO SIR 2, which sounds awful but apparently retains the Portier magic.

Liked
    0 times
    This is a fine story, well-done and both Lulu and the studio was lucky to find such a quality film to stick her in. I've never seen TO SIR 2, which sounds awful but apparently retains the Portier magic.
    TSWL2 is ok if you don't look on it as a sequel. The first 10 minutes are cute with a touching little reunion with Pamela.

The film itself is not bad but what I really didn't like is how they tried to draw parallels between the two. He befriends the 'clever' student, a blonde girl with issues at home. There is an end of year dance which she turns up to in a white dress, that sort of thing. It just felt very blatant and was unnecessary.

Aside from that it's not the worst fim I've ever seen.

Liked
    5 times
    I hated the 2nd film because he went to America to a rough school, why could they not have stayed in England with the 2nd film

Liked
    69 times
    Radio 2 had a documentary on Friday nights,celebrating the 80th birthday of Sir Sidney Poitier. Apparently,the original author,ER Braithwaite,didn't like the film as it sanitised his story and he hated the sequel even more.

It was a good documentary - narrated by Barry Norman - with interviews from Sir Sid himself,Morgan Freeman and other notables from the great man's life.

Anything with Sir Sidney in,is always worth watching. .

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Apparently,the original author,ER Braithwaite,didn't like the film as it sanitised his story and he hated the sequel even more.
    Really? I have a feeling that wasn't the case when the film was actually made. I may be wrong though.

Hopefully, a colleague may get a chance to talk to Mr Braithwaite through work (on a completely different subject) but if they do, then I'll ask them to ask him about it. The book is very different from the film so I can understand if he isn't happy with it - it's just a shame as I really like the film! But then it isn't my story...

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I read a quote from Poitier saying he grew more fond of the original film as the years passed, that he liked it originally but came to enjoy it and think of it more. That's why he was interested when he was approached with the sequel. I think he was sufficiently in-control of his career that he didn't need that one job, but I haven't found any comments from him about the sequel.

Which may say everything. Still, the first film is a favorite, as is the song.

Liked
    1 times
    A good little film,however, I prefer Spare the Rod.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    A good little film,however, I prefer Spare the Rod.
    Neither of them IMHO can hold a candle to Carry on Teacher, which reminds me so much of my own schooldays.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Great film and great song! The best bit is when Poitier gets invited up to dance at the school ball, just when you are thinking "oh no this is going to be cringe making" Poitier gets up and gives it some really stylish moves and shows that he really can dance! Brilliant...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I haven't seen the whole of this film, actually, but I can confirm that Mr Braithwaite hated it ! I heard a Radio 4 documentary about the origin of his book, and he felt the film was a travesty of the facts.

As a matter of fact, his former colleagues at the school were none too pleased about his book ! They felt he implied that he was the only good and caring teacher in the school, which wasn't the case at all. Much of the humanity in the school came from the headteacher, apparently.

Liked
    0 times
    And Crow Man and Mrs Bucket are in it as well!

Liked
    1 times
    Great film and great song! The best bit is when Poitier gets invited up to dance at the school ball, just when you are thinking "oh no this is going to be cringe making" Poitier gets up and gives it some really stylish moves and shows that he really can dance! Brilliant...

I forgot that scene, must re watch perhaps a double bill with spare the rod.

Liked
    1 times
    I watched this again last night,good entertainment. I must try and get the second film.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I feel that To Sir With Love was a film of it's time set at the right era and is now rather dated, but that can be said for a lot of films. I love the film very much. It does have a Swinging London feel to it which I love. The music provided by The Mindbenders and Lulu is very good. Excellent performances from Sidney Poitier, Judy Geeson, Suzy Kendall and Christian Roberts. It was a shame that the relationship between Mark Thackeray played by Sidney Poitier and Gillian Blanchard played by Suzy Kendall could have developed into much more, as I got the feeling that Gillian quite fancied Mark.

The follow up To Sir With Love 2 made 30 years later was a bit disappointing. It was a shame that Judy Geeson and Lulu were only given a brief few minutes and are only guest starring roles. Still it was nice to see Sidney Poitier and Judy Geeson together if only for a brief moment.

Yes, To Sir With Love along with Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush and Up The Junction are some of my best favourite films from the 1960's.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Me too - I think it's one of the most evocative songs of the 60s - there's no accounting for taste!

The 5th edition of Halliwell's Film Guide includes this rather waspish remark from a review by MFB (I have no idea what MFB stands for, but I'm sure that somebody here will know):

"The sententious script sounds as if it has been written by a zealous Sunday school teacher after a particularly exhilarating boycott of South African oranges."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast