Member Country: England jaybob777's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, I accept that this question relates to a TV documentary and not specifically Brit Movie related but I'd really like to track this down.

A long time a go (mid/late 80s I guess) a documentary was shot following the team (pilots, film crew, investors) involved in bringing five B25 Mitchell bombers over from the USA to the UK for the filming of Hannover Street.

I would really like to see this again and even keep a copy. Are there are any enthusiasts out there (film, TV, aviation etc) who may be abale to help?

The aircraft came from all over the US, grouped in Nova Scotia before heading across the Atlantic to the Azores. From there they positioned up to Luton. Good camera work and good supporting sound/music.

Much appreciated.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Jaybob777

I can help with a copy, just send me a pm

Mike

Liked
    0 times
    I watched this TV documentary many years ago and have been trying find a copy for a long time with no luck, I have just found this site and wondered if one of you kind people could help me find a copy, of course I will cover any costs.

Pete

Liked
    0 times
    Pete

Have sent you a pm

Mike

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's an item from my local paper about several B-25s that flew over Austin Sunday on their way 30 miles south to San Marcos, for a week-long get-together celebration of the April 18th, 1942 Doolittle Raid on Tokyo.

(Common to a lot of American newspaper websites, they have a free log-in process. You can use:

UserID=britmovies@dongo.com and Password =britmovies)

B-25s flock to San Marcos for anniversary of U.S. raid on Japan

Only 15 men from historic World War II attack are alive today.

Excerpts:

On Sunday, restored B-25s and other vintage airplanes flew into the San Marcos Municipal Airport to begin a weeklong celebration of the Doolittle Raiders and their April 18, 1942, attack.

Only 15 of Doolittle's 80 men are alive today, and none attended the San Marcos event. The survivors, now 84 to 93 years old, will gather in the San Antonio area this week for five days of speeches and other events.

Disappointingly, there are no accompanying photos, but there's nothing like those monstrous piston engines flying overhead to alert me that there's a whole different generation of planes around.

This "Confederate Air Force" is full of WWII era fighters and bombers, and a couple of times a year, there are local or nearby air-shows with Spits, Hurricanes, ME-109s, plus many American and even a few Jap Zeros in there.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='jaybob777']OK, I accept that this question relates to a TV documentary and not specifically Brit Movie related but I'd really like to track this down.

A long time a go (mid/late 80s I guess) a documentary was shot following the team (pilots, film crew, investors) involved in bringing five B25 Mitchell bombers over from the USA to the UK for the filming of Hannover Street.

I would really like to see this again and even keep a copy. Are there are any enthusiasts out there (film, TV, aviation etc) who may be abale to help?

The aircraft came from all over the US, grouped in Nova Scotia before heading across the Atlantic to the Azores. From there they positioned up to Luton. Good camera work and good supporting sound/music.

Much appreciated.

I recall that there was a B25 filming platform aircraft impounded at Shoreham airport, sussex for a year or so. It may have been late 70's or 80's. I seem to recall that it had been used for aerial filming sessions but their landing fees remained unpaid.

It was silver and had a tweaked nose dome for filming IIRC.

and then one day it was gone.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    It was used extensively in the making of The Battle of Britain. I have a feeling that Skeets Kelly was filming in it and fell to his death during the making of Zeppelin.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='ChristineCB']This "Confederate Air Force" is full of WWII era fighters and bombers, and a couple of times a year, there are local or nearby air-shows with Spits, Hurricanes, ME-109s, plus many American and even a few Jap Zeros in there.

They had a He111 (Spanish built version) that appeared in the Battle of Britain movie but it was destroyed in a fatal crash in 2003.

They've now changed their name to the less contentious Commemorative Air Force.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I'm another one who is still searching for a copy of this, please can anyone help? I saw this as a kid and thought it amazing, years later I fly for a living and would love to see this again.

Thanks in advance

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Spinthepilot

Have sent you a pm

Mike

Liked
    0 times
    got it, thanks!

Liked
    0 times
    Mitchells Fly in IMC

on YouTube...

YouTube - Mitchells Fly in IMC Pt 1

You're right it is a great story. Should be on DVD but nowhere to be seen so I thought as a service to the community I would make a mpg and upload it in bits to YT.

Cheers.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='Nick Dando']It was used extensively in the making of The Battle of Britain. I have a feeling that Skeets Kelly was filming in it and fell to his death during the making of Zeppelin.

Nick

I thought it was a mid-air crash.....

Member Country: England jaybob777's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Need a new copy of this documentary. Can anyone help?

Thanks