Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Having had the BBC radio play version of this terrific Graham Greene story for many years (starring Jack Watling as Wormold and Eleanor Bron as Beatrice) I finally got around to buying the DVD of the Carol Reed film version and for under five pounds a real bargain! It arrived this morning but we were down Southbourne beach all day in Bournemouth and I just couldn't wait to get home to watch it earlier this evening!

Made in 1959 it stars the great Alec Guinness, Noel Coward, Ralph Richardson, Burl Ives and Maureen O'Hara. Very enjoyable film and I'm surprised I've not seen it before now. I don't know if it was filmed in Cuba but even in gleaming black and white it manages to capture the atmosphere of pre-Castro days very well.

If it was shot there I imagine that most of the 50s American cars featured are still driving around the streets of Havana today, albeit powered by Lada engines! Wormold had a lovely Morris 1000 convertible while the police captain drove a beautiful Mercedes 190, also a rag top.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    IMDB does give the location as Havana, but whether that's true I can't confirm. Seems rather risky as the island was in the throes of the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power, and was still rather unstable.

Nick

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando
    Seems rather risky as the island was in the throes of the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power, and was still rather unstable.

Nick
    Doesn't the film open with a reference to this after the credits?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando
    IMDB does give the location as Havana, but whether that's true I can't confirm. Seems rather risky as the island was in the throes of the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power, and was still rather unstable.

Nick
    Under Trivia on the IMDb it says:

Fidel Castro's government gave permission for this film, which presents the fallen regime of Fulgencio Batista, in an unflattering light and also condemns American and British meddling, to shoot on location in Havana, only months after the revolution. It was completed during the brief period in 1959 before Cuba had aligned itself with the Soviet Union.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched a DVD of Our Man in Havana and it was even better than I remembered. Slightly puzzled at the end - I am sure that when I last saw it the final frames showed a full working installation of Wormwold's drawing in the hills of Cuba. Does anyone else recall this version or am I just becoming senile?

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I love to play and replay the first minute of the film. The camera tracks along the street and we see an assignation in progress. There's the accompaniment of sprightly Cuban [mambo?] music which is just as lively as The Third Man's zither.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I should try to get the DVD as I had a VHS copy of Our Man in Havana many many years ago.

As for the reference of the movie being filmed in Havana - I believe it was - that came from "Kovacsland" by Diana Rico (yep used to own a LOT of Kovacs material!). And of course Ernie always got his cigars from Cuba, too.

It is a very good movie and worth watching again, definitely.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    As part of a short series of studies of Graham Greene filmed novels, BBC Radio 4 does an examination (tomorrow, 22 August 2016) of Our Man in Havana. Details here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pf1b8

Liked
    23 times
    As part of a short series of studies of Graham Greene filmed novels, BBC Radio 4 does an examination (tomorrow, 22 August 2016) of Our Man in Havana. Details here:-

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post

Our Man in Havana is an absolute gem and I think it showed secret services the world over in their true light. I will be watching this programme with interest.

Liked
    0 times

Our Man in Havana is an absolute gem and I think it showed secret services the world over in their true light. I will be watching this programme with interest.

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sam kydd View Post
    Its on RADIO Sam!

Liked
    0 times
    Its on RADIO Sam!
    Our Man in Havana is an absolute gem and I think it showed secret services the world over in their true light. I will be LISTENING to this programme with interest.