Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Hearne

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Good to see this classic film has at long last turned up and on ebay.

eBay.co.uk: RICHARD HEARNE & GORDON HARKER rare film only one (item 230121277560 end time 30-Apr-07 20:56:31 BST)

Many many years since I last viewed this classic film and I will certainly be bidding. Crumbs, I thought it was a lost film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']Good to see this classic film has at long last turned up and on ebay.

eBay.co.uk: RICHARD HEARNE & GORDON HARKER rare film only one (item 230121277560 end time 30-Apr-07 20:56:31 BST)

Many many years since I last viewed this classic film and I will certainly be bidding. Crumbs, I thought it was a lost film.
    I wonder what sort of money this will fetch on ebay I presume there is now no copyright on this film, no doubt a dealer will buy it and sell copies on ebay ? till other people buy it and put there copies up for sale

Liked
    4 times
    Good to see the old flicks about and after all they were made to be seen.

Good old Mr Pastry

Liked
    151 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']

Good old Mr Pastry and this one now Public Dom title.

It certainly isn't Public Domain. I think the Wilcox productions went to Lumierre and subsequently Canal+.

Liked
    4 times
    Can you let me have more details DB7 as it would help keep our archive info up to date. You say you think, are you not sure?

Many thanks

Liked
    151 times
    Copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the last principal member (actor, director, producer etc).

Liked
    4 times
    Sorry to be a pain but can you also let me have details where we can locate full details of the 70 year copyright as it will come in handy in the future.

Thank you in anticipation.

Another interesting find here for fans

YouTube - Tons of Trouble Trailer

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    just had a look at this its very complex

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='tvden']just had a look at this its very complex
    That's why a lot of lawyers get very rich from debating it :

It has added complexity when the rights to different films are passed from one company to another, and they don't always pass on the rights to all the films to the same company. Do that two or three times and it makes it very hard to track down the rights holders

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    And as we have discussed so many times on this forum this is why so many films sit collecting dust in archives - but hopefully the Gowers Report that was issued last year might ease up the situation with regard to films from the 30s and earlier,

Mike (MrT)

Liked
    4 times
    name='Steve Crook']That's why a lot of lawyers get very rich from debating it :

It has added complexity when the rights to different films are passed from one company to another, and they don't always pass on the rights to all the films to the same company. Do that two or three times and it makes it very hard to track down the rights holders

Steve

How true. I think its very sad when these very old flicks which are now largely forgot by today’s generation are even more hampered to get a screening, unless its in some art house in London, by the blasted nutters who just want to sit on reels of film, watch them rot and just have them. There is more big brother in the UK watching over your shoulder than we can possibly number here. Sad when my parents fought for our freedom and at 90 even they don’t rate the UK’s chances anymore. Mr Pastry would have none of it bless him. As a keen fan of Richard Hearne and spoken to may in my time who would like to see his films all over again, wouldn’t it be nice to have a boxed set out where we can relive the golden years of FAMILY comedy and rekindle some old values when it was good to laugh, and enjoy the simple things.

Someone in the entertainment industry recently told me that Norman Wisdom had never seen There was a crooked Man since it was first shown. That’s the sad state of British media for you folks..

The real blessing is that there are still many film amateur collectors out there who own prints and are keen to let you view classics in private home screenings rather than pass films onto archives. This way at least the public can still enjoy an artists work freely. Remember freedom?

Liked
    418 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']Someone in the entertainment industry recently told me that Norman Wisdom had never seen There was a crooked Man since it was first shown.
    Possibly by choice? :

Others have seen it

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']How true. I think its very sad when these very old flicks which are now largely forgot by today’s generation are even more hampered to get a screening, unless its in some art house in London, by the blasted nutters who just want to sit on reels of film, watch them rot and just have them. There is more big brother in the UK watching over your shoulder than we can possibly number here. Sad when my parents fought for our freedom and at 90 even they don’t rate the UK’s chances anymore. Mr Pastry would have none of it bless him. As a keen fan of Richard Hearne and spoken to may in my time who would like to see his films all over again, wouldn’t it be nice to have a boxed set out where we can relive the golden years of FAMILY comedy and rekindle some old values when it was good to laugh, and enjoy the simple things.

Someone in the entertainment industry recently told me that Norman Wisdom had never seen There was a crooked Man since it was first shown. That’s the sad state of British media for you folks..

The real blessing is that there are still many film amateur collectors out there who own prints and are keen to let you view classics in private home screenings rather than pass films onto archives. This way at least the public can still enjoy an artists work freely. Remember freedom?
    And that from the land run by lawyers

But you have to balance your freedom to watch what you want with the artists' freedom to be paid for what they do

Steve

Liked
    4 times
    Fine.. But they are not getting the money are they. Did it ever cross anyone’s mind why we don’t see repeats so often of vintage TV shows ? It is not just the programmers who are to blame, actors have to be paid repeat money, so these days its cheaper to make The Best 100 whatever’s and show some clips from the archive instead of complete shows.

I’m off to read my Mr Pastry Annual Steve.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']Fine.. But they are not getting the money are they. Did it ever cross anyone’s mind why we don’t see repeats so often of vintage TV shows ? It is not just the programmers who are to blame, actors have to be paid repeat money, so these days its cheaper to make The Best 100 whatever’s and show some clips from the archive instead of complete shows.

I’m off to read my Mr Pastry Annual Steve.
    That's the trouble. It's only the lawyers that are getting the money.

The artists aren't happy because their work isn't being seen and they aren't getting anything for it

We aren't happy because the films aren't being released

I don't think there are really any "blasted nutters who just want to sit on reels of film"

The only people that are happy are the lawyers

To quote from Henry VI, part II, act IV, scene II

Dick: The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    name='Steve Crook']

To quote from Henry VI, part II, act IV, scene II

Dick: The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

Steve

To quote Henry the dvd distributor: Is there a market that would make a release viable?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    BBC Radio 4 Tuesday 1st of May 11:30 - 12:00 BST

The Simple Pie Man

Richard Hearne became one of Britain's first TV stars as the character Mr Pastry, in whose guise he entertained millions of people worldwide with his slapstick routines. Geoffrey Wheeler pays tribute to Hearne with archive recordings of the entertainer, along with contributions from comedy writer Michael Pointon, actor Roy Hudd and Hearne's widow Yvonne.

Nick

Liked
    4 times
    Nick.

Can I just thank you for posting the message re radio show. I would have missed it but for your message, and me Mr Pastry !

Bit strange the BBC never contacted me for material within the archive here. They must have more than they know what to do with already.

I did phone a few locals near Richards grave just to let them know it was going on the radio so you have done a good deed. We do place flowers on Richards grave and keep an eye on it when possible at St Marys Platt near Maidstone which is nice. Very small grave and the first time we went many moons ago it was hard to find.

Thanks again Nick.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I've recorded the programme and can make CD copies. Anyone interested?

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast