Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have any items that feature Terry Hall & Lenny The Lion

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Where on earth did that voice come from???

Liked
    0 times
    I have the 1964 Lenny the Lion Annual, published by Dean.

It is in good condition and has not been written in.

I have wonderful memories of seeing Lenny and Terry (along with Tommy Trinder) in Aladdin at the Golders Green Hippodrome in the early 70s.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there a comparable group of entertainers for kids today? That receive the national exposure?

Liked
    0 times
    My mates late Mother In Law (Pearl Beresford) used to be Terry Hall's agent back in the 60's - she was the one who launched his career into stardom.

Liked
    0 times
    I can't really think of anything comparable. Most of the kiddiewinks working in children's TV seem to be aspiring to celebdom and a move 'up' to big kids' TV. This is usually achieved via a relationship, drink or drugs problem and (if you are female) wearing as little as possible around the belly area.

Everything is described as 'brilliant' etc. I have to say that I admire Neil Buchanan for his art programmes eg 'Art Attack'.

'The Slammer' (BBC) does offer variety and comedy of sorts -but it lacks the innocence and slapstick fun of 'Crackerjack' (hooray!)- because it is a little on the cruel side. There is a vent act of sorts on The Slammer but it is hardly in Terry Hall's league!

Blue Peter has gone chart mad and celebrity crazy... don't get me started.....

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Norman Wisdom']I can't really think of anything comparable...
    There are reading clubs and library children's hours, children's movie times, but the only national attention is heaped on those you've mentioned. It's a good thing children are not our future, eh? Short-sightedness reigns supreme.

Liked
    0 times
    Quite so - I am merely commenting on broadcast material.

As an English teacher and examiner for A Level - I am gratified to observe that education is not entirely reliant upon TV.

Thank goodness that young children still devour books and that the vast majority of parents still bother to sing to their children - and read them bedtime stories.

Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have any recordings that feature Terry & Lenny?

Liked
    0 times
    Try youtube

Liked
    0 times
    Just one short clip on Youtube.

Anyone have anything more?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    name='Norma Wisdom']Quite so - I am merely commenting on broadcast material.

As an English teacher and examiner for A Level - I am gratified to observe that education is not entirely reliant upon TV.

Thank goodness that young children still devour books and that the vast majority of parents still bother to sing to their children - and read them bedtime stories.

My 13 year old is quite a book worm, she has read all the Harry Potter books and the Narnia tales and now she is reading the Hobbit yet again she loves that book so much, but you have to keep an eye on her as i have found her reading at 2am when she had get up for school. So i think if you introduce your children to books at a young age they get to love reading especially if you have a story night where you read to them then they read to you and make it fun for them. I have done this with all my children who are now 13, 22 and 25 and they are all great readers.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Carmel']My 13 year old is quite a book worm, she has read all the Harry Potter books and the Narnia tales and now she is reading the Hobbit yet again she loves that book so much, but you have to keep an eye on her as i have found her reading at 2am when she had get up for school. So i think if you introduce your children to books at a young age they get to love reading especially if you have a story night where you read to them then they read to you and make it fun for them. I have done this with all my children who are now 13, 22 and 25 and they are all great readers.
    The poor little mite has to get up for school at 2am?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Norma Wisdom']Thank goodness that young children still devour books...

Good ole Reader's Digest

Frankly, my wife and I are not so good parents... when my daughter starts chewing a book, we tend to confiscate it.