Sherlock Holmes apart from Speckled band

which I have.A BBC programme yesterday

said that they had not been destroyed or lost

thanks,

Michael Featherstone

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an additional three. "Illustrious Client," which was once released on VHS in the UK with "Band" and also, in lesser quality, "Beryl Coronet" and "Lady Francis Carfax". Send me a PM if interested.

Liked
    0 times
    (Minafer @ Dec 28 2005, 05:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I have an additional three. "Illustrious Client," which was once released on VHS in the UK with "Band" and also, in lesser quality, "Beryl Coronet" and "Lady Francis Carfax". Send me a PM if interested.

[/b]
    So you have 15 altogether, with douglas wilmer in ? I would be very interested in getting these if correct ?

When was the last time they were shown on uk tv? Or are they from broadcasts outside britain ? (the original 12 i mean, i know the 3 you mention were released on vhs)

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    No, I only have 4 in total. Only two were released on VHS.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been lucky enough to snap up a ten year old BBC VHS of the 1965 ‘Sherlock Holmes’ series with Douglas Wilmer in the lead role. Sadly, it only contains two episodes (The Speckled Band, The Illustrious Client) and they are really good to watch. I know this was a twelve part series with the first as the pilot:-

Season 1, Episode 0: The Speckled Band

Original Air Date: 18 May 1964

Season 1, Episode 1: The Illustrious Client Original Air Date: 20 February 1965

Season 1, Episode 2: The Devil's Foot Original Air Date: 27 February 1965

Season 1, Episode 3: The Copper Beeches Original Air Date: 6 March 1965

Season 1, Episode 4: The Red-Headed League Original Air Date: 13 March 1965

Season 1, Episode 5: The Abbey Grange Original Air Date: 20 March 1965

Season 1, Episode 6: The Six Napoleons Original Air Date: 27 March 1965

Season 1, Episode 7: The Man with the Twisted Lip Original Air Date: 3 April 1965

Season 1, Episode 8: The Beryl Coronet Original Air Date: 10 April 1965

Season 1, Episode 9: The Bruce-Partington Plans Original Air Date: 17 April 1965

Season 1, Episode 10: Charles Augustus Milverton Original Air Date: 24 April 1965

Season 1, Episode 11: The Retired Colourman Original Air Date: 1 May 1965

Season 1, Episode 12: The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax Original Air Date: 8 May 1965

Two episodes of the Douglas Wilmer series in the BBC archives are incomplete -"The Abbey Grange" is missing the first reel of two, "The Bruce-Partington Plans" is missing the second reel of two. Technically "The Speckled Band" is incomplete, in that it was first transmitted in "Detective" and all episodes of that series (its first series) had an introduction by Rupert Davies (as Maigret) - the version that exists of "Speckled Band" has the "Sherlock Holmes" series titles and is minus the intro.

Does anyone remember this series and has anyone seen anymore of these available to buy on VHS or DVD?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I have that VHS too. I have tried for ages to get more but without success. Apparently there were plans to release another VHS but the first one sold so poorly they didn't bother. I have the available episodes on dvd from the follow up Peter Cushing series and I like them too, but it is a far inferior series to the Wilmer one, something Peter Cushing also felt. He said that the series featured 'Peter Cushing trying very hard not to forget his lines and fall over, not Peter Cushing giving a performance as Sherlock Holmes'. The production schedule was hectic on both series (inc constant on set re-writes) and was one of the reasons Wilmer stopped doing them. Cushing also refused to do any more for this reason, especially as one was broadcast using rehearsal takes! I would love to see more of Wilmer as Holmes, I think he is second only to Mr Brett as TVs greatest Sherlock.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I have that VHS too. I have tried for ages to get more but without success. Apparently there were plans to release another VHS but the first one sold so poorly they didn't bother. I have the available episodes on dvd from the follow up Peter Cushing series and I like them too, but it is a far inferior series to the Wilmer one, something Peter Cushing also felt. He said that the series featured 'Peter Cushing trying very hard not to forget his lines and fall over, not Peter Cushing giving a performance as Holmes'. The production schedule was hectic on both series (inc constant on set re-writes) and was one of the reasons Wilmer stopped doing them. Cushing also refused to do any more for this reason, especially as one was broadcast using rehearsal takes! I would love to see more of Wilmer as Holmes, I think he is second only to Mr Brett as TVs greatest Sherlock.

There was a problem in that the series had been allocated slots and the gap between recording and broadcast became extremely narrow. So, you had episodes such as the Boscombe Valley Mystery recorded on 23/09/1968 and broadcast on 14/10/1968, a mere 21 days after. This episode appears to be the reason why the unfinished edit of Dancing Men ended up being shown on 24/07/68. The producer was busy supervising both the tape editing of Dancing Men and the studio recording of Boscombe Valley on the same day!

Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    1 times
    Some of these episodes have been uploaded on UKNova recently. "Charles Augustus Milverton last week for example.

Liked
    0 times
    name='steve9049']Some of these episodes have been uploaded on UKNova recently. "Charles Augustus Milverton last week for example.

Not everyone can visit here and you often find that you get a lot of one program and only rare glimpes of other shows. Lets see if anyone else has any to offer the community on uknova soon then!!!!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Good luck on these. It's hard to believe anything with "Sherlock Holmes" in the title hasn't been saved for release sooner than later to fans. I'd think that name alone is one of the most attention-getting 'brand names' in books, film and radio.

I'm fairly certain that, when 2063 roles around, "Beatles" will still have some marketability but I'm not sure. I believe "Sherlock" will still be a property that garners new audiences and old fans alike. I was pleased to find so many radio-episodes exist and are available, but not all. I hope these Film Episodes are merely hidden and not lost.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I remember this thread and sharing the disappointment that Douglas's Sherlock Holmes series was

so elusive. Now comes the sensational news, announced by didi-5, that it is to be released on DVD!:

Sherlock Wilmer comes to region 1 DVD

BRILLIANT!!!

Douglas as Alan Uttershaw in The Saint: The Rough Diamonds, first broadcast 21st November 1963:

Is he really 90, or another who simply 'disappeared' (nothing since 1986)? I hope he's alive and well.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='cornershop15']

Is he really 90, or another who simply 'disappeared' (nothing since 1986)? I hope he's alive and well.

He's alive and well. There's a recent interview with him linked by didi in another thread a few weeks ago. You can read it here

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Excellent news. Thank you very much indeed, dremble. I look forward to reading that tomorrow (when I'm more awake). Nice to make contact again

Goodnight.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    A Fascinating actor to work with.

John

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all

That's great news about the DVD release of the Sherlock Holmes series. I'm looking forward to getting hold of a better copy of 'Charles Augustus Milverton' featuring my all-time favourite actress, the very talented and stunningly beautiful Stephanie Bidmead. Cheers, caliban.

Senior Member Country: England ChuckEddie's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    To use a Dr Who analogy, Wilmer was my first Sherlock.