Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film back in 1988 and really loved it.

Donald Lovelace's funeral is taking place in the opening scene; the story of this mild-mannered council gardener with colourful love life then unfolds - until we reach the point of his demise.

It starred Margaret Tyzack, Barry Jackson and Maurice Denham. There is a haunting theme song (of the same name) threading through it but I have come up against a brick wall in trying to get a copy in either VHS or DVD.

I am aware that it was not terribly good 'box office' but its Southport setting and cast of quirky characters made it something really engaging and poignant for me. I would be really grateful if any of you out there could help me access a copy.

In return, I might be able to help you with accessing classic British films (of all kinds) and American movies with an emphasis on film noir.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    I bought a copy of this just a few weeks ago.

It's on Amazon.com marketplace for just 91c and it'll cost about $5.50 p&p to England

Less than £4.

Right now, the first one in the list of Marketplace sellers is doing international delivery....although sometimes the order changes. Just go down the list to find one that says International Shipping available.

It's NTSC format of course but most UK VCRs are playing those now aren't they?

You'd be amazed at some of the British stuff available at these silly prices on Amazon's US site. Not all sellers do International delivery though...not even Canada. But when they do, there's many a bargain to be had. Quality has been 100% for me every time so far.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks a million!

Liked
    5 times
    The Casablanca scene is gorgeous.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree wholeheartedly - it simultaneously underscores Mr Love's romantic nature; setting the film apart as truly British ( rallying round,loyalty etc) whilst paying homage to the glories of Hollywood! And thanks once more for your advice!

I found that one of my VCRs is ntsc compatible - and if it plays well - I will probably do a transfer to DVD using a new gizmo on my pc.

Liked
    5 times
    name='Norman Wisdom'] I found that one of my VCRs is ntsc compatible - and if it plays well - I will probably do a transfer to DVD using a new gizmo on my pc.

I'm considering that. I brought hundreds of my Brit VHS tapes to Canada with two VCRs...completely failing to remember the TVs are different too. The delivery costs of multisystem and/or conversion equipment not available in this part of Canada make it too expensive for me to buy right now.

In the meantime, I'm making do with these bargains from Amazon's marketplace. By the time I can afford to buy, I may have bought so many 'replacement' tapes it may reduce the incentive. So I may look at the 'gizmo' option instead.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='BristolUK']I bought a copy of this just a few weeks ago.

It's on Amazon.com marketplace for just 91c and it'll cost about $5.50 p&p to England

Thanks for that. Just ordered a copy.

Liked
    5 times
    It's worth looking at Amazon's Canadian site too.

The US site generally has the same item much cheaper, although not always and one needs to remember that 10 US $ is just over 11 Can $ - but the mailing variations may level the overall price.

One final thing - on the US site, the p&p rates for tapes is lower than DVDs. If you don't mind tape instead of DVD. The total cost of tape/delivery is often far less than DVD/Delivery.

I have managed to get things like Mr Love, Truly Madly Deeply, After Pilkington, Letter to Brezhnez, Heavenly Pursuits, Edge of Darkness and any number of foreign movies...all for about £3 or £4 each including p&p. Take a look at the marketplace sellers themselves. Some have their own sites.

I recommend thriftbooks.com.