Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all!

Anyone know whether The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie was cut for afternoon broadcast on ITV yesterday? I've not seen it for 30 years and remember it being quite racey, and imdb suggest a 15 rating.

Cheers!

S

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (sanndevil @ Feb 19 2006, 10:19 AM)

Hi all!

Anyone know whether The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie was cut for afternoon broadcast on ITV yesterday? I've not seen it for 30 years and remember it being quite racey, and imdb suggest a 15 rating.

Cheers!

S
    The video (released in 1990) was given a 15 rating but the film had an AA rating (according to the BBFC and they should know. It's probably just the difference in perceptions of what is acceptable (or "racey") between 1969 & 1990.

The IMDb doesn't list any "alternate versions" which is how they normally record any cuts.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    (Steve Crook @ Feb 19 2006, 11:41 AM)

The video (released in 1990) was given a 15 rating but the film had an AA rating (according to the BBFC and they should know. It's probably just the difference in perceptions of what is acceptable (or "racey") between 1969 & 1990.

The IMDb doesn't list any "alternate versions" which is how they normally record any cuts.

Steve
    I've just watched TPOMJB - terrific film. I never saw it the first time around, so I can't say if there were any cuts, but I did feel that it didn't go far enough to explain certain 'delicate' topics.

Isn't Maggie Smith great? Wasn't she married to Robert Stevens who played the art teacher?

Great scene at the end when the sprogs are piling out of school - TWO policemen on the school crossing - you wouldn't see that, even today! Thoroughly enjoyable AND it could have been shown a lot later in the day. Why are truly classic films relegated to the afternoons? I suppose it's the suits who hold the purse strings.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

Does IMDb list them as "alternate" or "alternative" versions?
    It does list them as "alternate versions". Presumably you first watch the original film, then the one with the cuts, then the original again

Steve

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Another favourite of mine is the film adaptation of Murial Spark's "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"....

This is simply unmissable, Maggie Smith is magnificent as Brodie, superbly assisted by husband in real life Robert Stephens, Gordon Jackson, Ann Way et al....

Also of note a fleeting appearance from a very young Helen Worth, (Gail Platt from Coronation Street)...

Notable quotes from Smith.....

"Don't tangle with Miss Lockhart (The Chemistry teacher), she has the means to blow us all up"

On the timing of an appointment to see her headteacher........

"She seeks to intimidate me by the use of quarter hours".......

A wonderful British classic.........

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealingfilmfan
    This is simply unmissable, Maggie Smith is magnificent as Brodie ..........
    Must agree with your comment on Maggie Smith. Surely, one of the greatest performances by a leading actress in the history of British cinema. Almost as good as Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter .... but not quite!!

Liked
    0 times
    I remember being knocked off my seat by Maggie Smith's performance in this. A real powerhouse. I also read the book by Muriel Spark and saw the play performed by a Kenilworth amateur group some years back which was interesting to see one of the girls from W H Smith in Leamington Spa appear topless, but otherwise was very amateur. (It would have been good to see Vanessa Redgrave in the role on stage.)

Then along came the TV series with Geraldine McEwan and she was brilliant in the role and totally made me forget about Maggie Smith's performance which over time began to seem bigger than the whole film.

The girls were excellent as well. Pamela Franklin from the original film has always been good (I first fell in love with her in QUICK BEFORE THEY CATCH US if anyone remembers that) - and Lynsey Baxter - an excellent actress - in the TV show both brought a depth to the role of Sandy which is in the book. The character of Miss Gaunt played by Georgine Anderson in the TV show was developed and played really well and my only regret is it only ran for 6 episodes. It would have been good to see Jean Brodie getting more and more entrenched into her ways to the exclusion of what was going on around her. Instead of being in her prime she was out of her pram.

Liked
    0 times
    Jean Brodie was the quintessential Maggie Smith role... but I much preferred her co-starring work in "Hot Millions" and "Evil Under the Sun" both with Peter Ustinov.

I don't know why but maybe it's because she is such a powerful and enduring character in real life that I think it makes her "second-fiddle" parts all the more alluring - i.e. the artfulness of her having to tone down the roar of her talent so to speak...

Liked
    0 times
    I can remember going to the Cinema with a girlfriend in Brighton to see this film when it first came out it, was one of the best films I ever saw no doubt enhanced by watching it on the big screen, and what a fantastic performance by Maggie Smith it left a lasting memory of a great film

Liked
    0 times
    I well remember going to watch the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie prob 12 months on from when it came out it was at the Duke of Yorks Preston Circus Brighton, it was one of the best films I ever remember watching at the cinema, what a performance from Maggie Smith the depth of this film was unimaginable, and deeply moving well to me anyway no doubt watching it again at home will not conjure up the same feelings but I have just purchased a region 1 dvd as yet it remains unwatched !!! I am savoring the moment

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvden
    I well remember going to watch the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie prob 12 months on from when it came out it was at the Duke of Yorks Preston Circus Brighton, it was one of the best films I ever remember watching at the cinema, what a performance from Maggie Smith the depth of this film was unimaginable, and deeply moving well to me anyway no doubt watching it again at home will not conjure up the same feelings but I have just purchased a region 1 dvd as yet it remains unwatched !!! I am savoring the moment

I agree , its a great film. I think Ronald Neame is one of our great british directors, I also have the region 1 DVD and there is a fascinating commentary by Neame himself on the making of the film, well worth listening to. Im a big fan of Neame, I nominated him as a top britsh director in the "top 20 british directors thread" on this website but I think I may have been the only one to mention his name! I would also recommend his "Tunes of Glory" another superbly acted film. Strangely that is only available on region 1 as well as far as I know, there is also an interesting interview with Neame on that disc. Neame is still with us at aged 90+ and living happily in California. Did you know he directed the Possieden Adventure with Gene Hackman? I think he made a fortune from that film, it was one of the most succesful of the disaster movie genre.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" for the first time yesterday. It was quite an interesting film so I thought I'd ask who else here has seen it and what you thought about it?

Liked
    0 times
    By chance I was watching it myself last night for about the 145th time. I'm crazy about it.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fooboo
    I saw "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" for the first time yesterday. It was quite an interesting film so I thought I'd ask who else here has seen it and what you thought about it?
    Very good film, directed by Ronald Neame and I think Maggie Smith had played the role on stage before taking the film role, she was actually married at the time to actor Robert Stephens who played her lover Teddy Loyd. There was a tv series in the 70s which I hated, the original book by Muriel Spark and the film had a point and a theme whereas the tv series simply used the character and setting for a long drawn out soap.

Liked
    0 times
    I enjoy that film -stunning performance by Smith -, but dislike the book... Jean's death is so sad !

Anyway, the soundtrack is great : I could listen to it for hours !!!

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Excellent film from one of my favourite authors.

(did we need the spoiler Seagull18?)

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    With Maggie Smith so dominating the film some of the other actors get unjustly overlooked. I thought Pamela Franklin gave a remarkable, Oscar-worthy performance as Sandy but she's barely acknowledged in any of the reviews I've read.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeldigger
    With Maggie Smith so dominating the film some of the other actors get unjustly overlooked. I thought Pamela Franklin gave a remarkable, Oscar-worthy performance as Sandy but she's barely acknowledged in any of the reviews I've read.
    Pamela was an excellent (and very sexy) actress. I loved her performances in "And Soon the Darkness" and "The Night of the Following Day"

It's a great pity that she gave up acting in the early eighties.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    This on my list of 'must watch again'. I watched it at about fourteen...it made quite an impression on me though..she was perfect for that role.

Is Maggie Smith's son Toby Stephens? Edit - yes he is.

Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant film, and Maggie Smith as always is brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast