Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Do any Droogs out there know where I can find the exterior of ' Home ' - it is apparently in Oxfordshire. Also where is the wooded track and gateway which had the illuminated ' Home ' sign outside.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Check out the entry on the imdb.com it has loads of locations listed for this classic film!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    According to Filming Locations for A Clockwork Orange the house is Skybreak, tucked invisibly away in the tiny village of Warren Radlett, Hertfordshire.

D

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I was told during a stay at Radlett, on one of my location spotting expiditions, that the house had been demolished.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Hi, I've just found out that a 'special edition' of Clockwork Orange is to be released on the 3rd March 2008, the 'special bit' being a revised 'extras' chapter, I believe Gillian 'Beat Girl' Hills is going to give some commentary according to her IMDB page (though Gillian dosen't have any dialogue in the Movie, to busy with her Lollipop!!)

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    According to Filming Locations for A Clockwork Orange the house is Skybreak, tucked invisibly away in the tiny village of Warren Radlett, Hertfordshire.

D
    I believe Skybreak was just used for the interior. The exterior is elsewhere, but best I can find is just it's in Oxfordshire.

Liked
    0 times
    My modest claim to fame is that, in the early 90s, I used to live in Canterbury House, Borehamwood - the tower block in which Alex's bedroom/family home is located.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    My modest claim to fame is that, in the early 90s, I used to live in Canterbury House, Borehamwood - the tower block in which Alex's bedroom/family home is located.
    Thanks for the info pod1969, I did wonder where the Flat interior was filmed as there is a glimpse of moving traffic outside and it seemed too high to be Thamesmead where the outside locations were filmed, this is also the Tower block seen in the backdrop of the soap 'Eastenders'......

Liked
    0 times
    This is also the Tower block seen in the backdrop of the soap 'Eastenders'......
    That's right. It also overlooks - assuming the location hasn't altered - 'Grange Hill', the school every kid wanted to go to back in the 80s. When I lived in the area, bumping into familiar faces from British TV was commonplace. I recall a few nods and hellos in the direction of Pam 'Pat Butcher' St. Clement and Adam 'Ian Beale' Woodyatt. My then girlfriend's brother worked in the film industry (as, of course, a disproportionate number of people in the Elstree/Borehamwood area do); he worked on Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I also recall visiting an elderly lady at Canterbury House who'd been in the business for 'donkey's years'. I believe Alex's flat was either hers or one on the same floor.

Member Country: England Bunnyboy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

D
    'Skybreak' is indeed still there at The Warren, Radlett, Herts WD7 7DU

Liked
    0 times
    And the Canterbury House tower block was also the real life home to a certain pop singist from the 80s called Marilyn. Or Peter Robinson as he was known before affiliating with Boy George. Yeah you remember? Single: Calling Your Name. No 4 UK, November 1983 pop pickers!

God it's weird I only ever get to post on things Elstree-related, and I've never lived or worked there...

Liked
    6 times

D
    The exterior is "The New House", off Church Street, Shipton under Wychwood. Now a listed building (but for its architectural importance as one of the best private houses of the 1960s, rather than for its role in film history)

paul77
    Yep, the exterior of Mr Alexander's 'HOME' is 'The New House' in Shipton-Under-Wychwood. Problem is, it's impossible to get close...even if you could it's conveniently 'hidden' by trees and bushes. Gonna be difficult to take photos of this one. But, the garden hasn't changed from when Kubrick filmed there, so I read.

Good news though about location of the country lane with illuminated 'HOME' sign.

It is on a track to Munden House Park, from School Lane, Bricket Wood, Herts. The droogs travel in the car away from Munden House and in the direction back to School Lane. The gate is still there, but just leads into a small wood. There are no houses...it's in the middle of nowhere!!!

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

Opened in 1968, The Chelsea Drugstore was a sleek modern glass and aluminum fronted building on the northwest corner of Royal Avenue and the Kings Road, in west London. Modeled on Le Drugstore on Boulevard St Germain in Paris, the Chelsea Drugstore was arranged over three floors and on most days remained open for up to 16 hours. Inside customers would find bars, a chemist, newsstands, record stores and other concessions. A popular service was the 'flying squad' delivery option run by the store. Those who used this service would have their purchases delivered by hand by young ladies adorned in purple catsuits arriving on flashy motorcycles.

In popular cultureThe store is notably mentioned in The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as well as being a film location in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.[2] The store became a wine bar and then a McDonald's. Both pub and retail shops below were open until the late 1980s.

Last edited by doojeen; 21-05-11 at 04:01 PM.

Liked
    4 times

Liked
    23 times
    Further to Dooeen's very recent post identifying the Record Store in Clockwork Orange, here from a website which I use in connection with my interest in local (architectural) history, is an indoor 'vision' of one of the bars mentioned in that post

and also a more 'working day' photograph of the exterior in view of the beer delivery. I don't know whether Kubrick might have been struck by the happenstance period-clash nature of this one with the 1960's (or 1950's even) lorry delivering to a very 21st-Century establishment!

Liked
    4 times
    Amazing photo - is that one of the bars in the Chelsea Dugstore? Would love a link to the website it came from.

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen View Post
    Amazing photo - is that one of the bars in the Chelsea Dugstore? Would love a link to the website it came from.
    I'm in a rush to get to work but I'll post up later tonight the proper internet link for everyone. There's one more in the same portfolio-all dated 1968. The architects were "Garnett,Cloughley,Blakemore and Associates" if that inspires anyone in the meantime.

Liked
    23 times
    Dojeen (and other ppl interested), here's the third of three 1968 photos of the Chelsea Drugstore, this one featuring the restaurant part.

The pictures sourced from the Royal Institute of British Architects site Royal Institute of British Architects which you might just be able to detect the grey-on-grey watermark included.

The remit of the RIBA site is to historically record innovative contemporary building design over the decades-even centuries since the side/front/east/west 17th century projections for St.Pauls Cathedral are up there too. I frequently access the site for regional church building history; both in the UK and abroad.

I'm sure of the 1968 accuracy of the RIBA shot of the exterior-no 'give-way' markings on the road, or yet-to-be ubiquitous 'modern' road signs!

Liked
    4 times
    Thanks Jim, that's certainly a site I'll be taking a good look at .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast