Liked
    0 times
    Born in 1954, the subject matter of this early 1960's play fascinated me: a crashed aircraft, moss covered and complete with skeletal crew at the controls found deep in woods by a courting couple. Can anybody tell me more about it, please, as I have wondered about this play time and time again, wanting to see it again.

On examination, the airrcaft was found to be a war-time bomber which never returned from a mission, and you guessed it - the skeleton of the pilot had a revolver bullet lodged in him, revealing that he had been shot in the back. The murderer had bailed out, expecting the machine to crash, but well-trimmed, it flew on, eventually coming down deep in the woods.

I imagine the missing crew-member was found and duly charged, but the story was morbidly fascinating to one of my generation, and fired a life-long enthusiasm for second world war aviation. Having just found this fascinating place, I'd be glad of any help.

Best wishes to all here,

Grimley

Liked
    151 times
    There was a similar programme featured on A Night in with Frost and Pegg last night; but that was the 80s kids drama 'The Machine Gunners.'

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that DB7, but we are going back to the early sixties, I might have been around eight years old. I can't remember if it was a 'Playhouse' type production - but it was just one programme, a kind of TV play. Sorry if I have put this in the wrong forum - if so - mods please move it? Keen for any leads, and would love to see it again. Many thanks. Grimley

Liked
    0 times
    Am I allowed a gentle *bump* to bring this up a little bit? I am still hoping for some help with this early '60's TV Play. Our 1960s TV went the way of all things long ago, but I still have the plastic coffee table that was supplied with it!

You must remember this - a courting couple happily running through the woods; she might have thrown something and as they look for it, stumble on the leaf and moss covered fuselage of an aeroplane. Rubbing away the moss covering the cockpit canopy, the skeleton of the pilot is revealed sat at the contols; quite chilling to a youngster then.

Where oh where might I begin to search amongst the archives? It was probably BBC - we didn't get ITV in Cornwall till sometime later.

Best wishes,

Grimley

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry I can't help you with this but wondered if you had tried asking in The Mausoleum Club forum? I bet someone there would know the answer. Sounds a fascinating play by the way ...

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much indeed - that looks like a very interesting site - I'll go there and ask them about it.

Cheers!

Grimley

Liked
    0 times
    Folks at the Mausoleum Club, they say without certainty:

The Touch of a Dead Hand - with Carol Cleveland (1963)

Others observe the plot was also used in an episode of The Persuaders. Good call there, Everett!

I have emailed Carol in the hope that she might enlighten me.

Grimley