Thread: Douglas Bader

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm seeking the title of an early 50s Brit-made TV series shown in the states which either dramatised the flying career of Douglas Bader or another RAF vet who'd lost a leg, or both. The Bader name seemed familiar but I can find no reference to the TV films I remember amongst all the online info on him. Thanks, and I've presumed that the TV is not OT.

Liked
    0 times
    The book about Douglas Bader was called: "Reach for the Sky".

Don't know about the TV series here in the US....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='CAubrey']I'm seeking the title of an early 50s Brit-made TV series shown in the states which either dramatised the flying career of Douglas Bader or another RAF vet who'd lost a leg, or both. The Bader name seemed familiar but I can find no reference to the TV films I remember amongst all the online info on him. Thanks, and I've presumed that the TV is not OT.

"who'd lost a leg, or both". Yes, Douglas lost both of them

There's a character called Douglas Bader in an episode of the animated series Gargoyles from 1995. But I can't find any references to Bader in anything from the 1950s except the film Reach for the Sky (1956)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I'm sorry to be so dotty about this and I thank all for their indulgence. I've only a memory for the face of an actor, a reference to a lost leg and the RAF. Bader seems not to have accumulated any recorded credits as a technical consultant or introducer and Kenneth More, although very familiar, is not the actor. I think I should go and lay down for a bit. Sorry to have laid my confused musings on your very kind shoulders.

Liked
    0 times
    a query at another site found an expat offering Donald Gray, who'd lost an arm at Caen, as the lead in a UK series The Vise, shown in the States under one title as The Vise: Mark Saber. I'll call this one solved and thank you all.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='CAubrey']a query at another site found an expat offering Donald Gray, who'd lost an arm at Caen, as the lead in a UK series The Vise, shown in the States under one title as The Vise: Mark Saber. I'll call this one solved and thank you all.

He was also the voices of Col White, Capt Black and The Mysterons in the original 'Captain Scarlet' .....

'THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS ...

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US EARTHMEN'

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    name='batman']He was also the voices of Col White, Capt Black and The Mysterons in the original 'Captain Scarlet' .....

Bats.
    These two chaps look so alike that they could be father and son. Were they related do you know? The one on the right looks a little like Ben Gazarra and the one of the left Lorne Greene!

Liked
    255 times
    name='samkydd']These two chaps look so alike that they could be father and son. Were they related do you know?

I dunno .... but these two look like Steve Forrest and James Garner.

S.I.G.

Bats.

Liked
    3 times
    name='batman']I dunno .... but these two look like Steve Forrest and James Garner.

S.I.G.

Bats.
    It's funny how they seem so warm and full of natural expression and charisma compared with new actors around today, even in a photograph!

Liked
    1 times
    Sorry to name-drop, but Frances Matthews, who provided the voice of Captain Scarlet, told me that Roger Moore was convinced that Scarlet was based on him. If you want James Garner, look no further than Troy Tempest in Stingray...

Liked
    255 times
    name='Lord Brett']Sorry to name-drop, but Frances Matthews, who provided the voice of Captain Scarlet, told me that Roger Moore was convinced that Scarlet was based on him. If you want James Garner, look no further than Troy Tempest in Stingray...

Didn't you know that Troy was Scarlet's older brother !!!!

Bats